Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soups/full Liquids?

I put skim milk in cream of broccoli Soup till it was really thin and had maybe a whole spoon full of it, my stomach kinda hurts but it's the first time I have had food in it in 14 days.. Does this sound normal? Is soup a full liquid?

Only if there are no lumps, bumps or clumps! Must be perfectly smooth and strained. If you got broccoli bits in there, I'd imagine it WOULD hurt a bit.

Also, after surgery, some people develop a lactose intolerance. It might be too soon to tell that for sure, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

Thanks! I see so many people's stories that eat so much more than me! But I don't want to do anything too fast that might hurt my progress.. I guess I'm a little confused as to what all is considered full liquids lol :-)

Every doc has a different definition of full liquids. My doc only allowed the addition of Protein Drinks and creamed Soups for full liquid. That's in addition to the Clear Liquids I was on the first week. Today I hit three weeks and I got to start putting food in a blender. But only a limited selection of meats and vegetables and grains. You can't be TOO careful in the early weeks. You only get ONE chance to heal, so make it good! Did you get an owner's manual?

Yah mine just said add skim milk basically.. But everyone on here says blended Soups are a full liquid so I'm kinda confused..

When in doubt...go with what YOUR doctor says. It's hard, but it does go by quickly. If you DO go with Soups, don't blend them. Just strain out the chunky stuff and toss it. If you blend it, that's a faster progression than what you might should have right now. Save the blender for a later phase...

Dont feel like the lone ranger. Today I am 18 days out. I still cant eat anything. I can get in 1 Protein Shake, 30oz of Water and 11ozs of apple juice per day. Thats pretty much it. I am gonna die from low Protein intake. I am more scared of not being able to eat right than complications from being overweight.

Capt I'm right in there with you! I probably drink 40 oz of Water a day and I can't get myself to drink the Protein either because every time I try it just wants to make me throw up! I have had the carnation instant Breakfast and it's not too bad! I can't stand the taste of juices right now so I'm hanging in there basically with plain ol water and 1 carnation instant breakfast a day!

Have either of you tried the Isopure clear Protein drinks? They're not the best tasting things in the world, but it IS a way to get protein in when you're on clears or little else. You can get them at GNC one at a time to try them. If you like them, you can order them online cheaper.

Yes maam. Isopure made me sick preop. Before I just cut it 1:1 with a Powerade of the same flavor. But now I would rather not even try. I just know I would be sick lol. But I do have alot extra but I am saving it for my wifes preop and post op in Nov

Slim fast premade drinks have 10 g of Protein so I just picked some up and I'm gonna try drinking those! Why does all the protein have to be so gross?? I didn't think that it would be this impossible to follow the rules! I don't know how much Water I drink but I would assume that keeping hydrated is the most important thing..

My old lady said the slimfast ones were gross. I have EAS advantcarb Protein drinks with 17grams. They are 11ozs with only 110 calories. They are great in vanilla. Now I also have the Atkins protein drinks in milk chocolate and those are great also. Trust me I would never steer anyone in the wrong direction

Dont feel like the lone ranger. Today I am 18 days out. I still cant eat anything. I can get in 1 Protein shake, 30oz of Water and 11ozs of apple juice per day. Thats pretty much it. I am gonna die from low Protein intake. I am more scared of not being able to eat right than complications from being overweight.

Sounds like you're still pretty swollen! It was about at the 3 week point that really turned for me. I was able to feel like I "ate" something. What happens when you try a full liquid Soup?

Capt I'm right in there with you! I probably drink 40 oz of Water a day and I can't get myself to drink the Protein either because every time I try it just wants to make me throw up! I have had the carnation instant Breakfast and it's not too bad! I can't stand the taste of juices right now so I'm hanging in there basically with plain ol Water and 1 carnation instant breakfast a day!

Have you tried the premiere Protein shakes? They have them at both sams and costco. They have vanilla and chocolate. They're 30g of Protein each - 11 oz. They're not thick and don't have an aftertaste. The chocolate tastes like chocolate milk and the vanilla tastes like regular milk with a little vanilla flavoring - not overpowering at all. I wouldn't get my protein in at this point without them - they're my breakfast every day :)