Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time Of The Month During Your Surgery?

Anyone have their period during surgery? Im freaked out at the thought of it

I will have my period when I'm scheduled for the op - also freaking out! Aaaargh! HATE the idea of dealing with it on top of all else....

Oh joy! I found other victims of getting my period the day before surgery! :angry:

Now I'm more worried about wearing a stupid surgical panty with pad in it than a stinkin' leak! I hope they let me get away with a tamp. Pads are just too diaper like and reminiscent of 5th grade. Also I get horrible cramps, and I can't take the usual Ibprofen because it's an NSAID. Any advise what to take at least the first day till they knock me out with anesthesia?

I feel a little bit better after reading this thread. I had my regular period last week. Had my surgery on Wednesday 6/27. Still recuperating here at home but way better than the day of surgery & day after. But I got my period again today. Luckily not too heavy but annoying none the less. Hopefully as my body gets used to the changes my cycle will go back to normal.

I was in to much pain the first day to care about my period. The pad thing was annoying with the catheter but I got over it..its really not a huge deal just a minor annoyance to add to the unpleasant hospital stay

It will will be ok i started mine the dat before.I told them when they ask me to take mine off they gave me the mesh panties. And the didn't make me fill sham at all the where verry professional about it and i had a foley in me.

I guess I was lucky. I was due to start the day before surgery but hadn't by the morning of. I wore a pad in for surgery. The nurse told me I was allowed to wear my panties, if I wanted, but they would probably pull them down under my stomach. I told her I was due to start. No problem. No mesh panties or anything, I wore all my own stuff. I didn't have a catheter either. I ending up not starting until after I got home the next day but I wore a pad all through the night, just in case.

When I was coming to I remember the nurse making a comment about blood on my sheets and I freaked out about my period. She told me the blood was up higher but apparently I didn't care. I kept saying "don't touch me, I started my period." lol She was impressed I was that coherent to worry about it but I was embarrassed. Ohhh, anesthesia! I'm sure they've seen it all!

I'm due to start on the 14th, my surgery is the 23rd. Hopefully all goes according to plan. But like many of u have said " they have seen it all"

Im not trying to be graphic about this, but i eas totally freaked out about starting my period and low and behold, i started my period the day I had surgery. They let me use a tampon. After surgery all I could think about was changing it. I had a catheter and used tampons until the next day when they took the catheter out. It was a little uncomfortable because I had to change it while I was in bed, but I managed.

OH NO!!!!! :o Surgery on Wednesday and I started mine today! :angry:

Well I'm glad I found this thread! Mine started yesterday so hopefully, it won't start again until September 5, mine are usually like clockwork, but extremely heavy and crampy. My surgery is scheduled for August 30th. I hope aunt Flow doesn't decide to visit early, I planned my date just so I wouldn't have to deal with very bad cramps ,and heavy bleeding.

at least they wont make me reschedule lol. mine has been whacky lately and varies by about a week, so i am scheduled for surgery on the 20 and i start anywhere from the 15th to the 25th O.o i HATE not being on a schedule with it, but maybe it will even back out when the weight is gone- when i was in my teens before i gained weight, it was the 15th like clockwork

Sorry..can't say that I did..but I don't have a uterus or ovaries either :P

I didnt have a catheter. I had to stop birth control pills the week before so I figured it would come during surgery. It did, but it was very light. I wore their net underwear (the nurse said they were their Victoria's Secret underwear...lol) and that big ol pad. It wasn't an issue at all.

I guess from years of trying to diet, I had begun to bleed daily....so the doctor gave me an IUD that regulated my periods, although they went on for longer than the old 5 day routine...more like 7--9 days now. My surgery was to be August 29th..and got changed to September 6th....and this month, I have resumed daily bleeding since my cycle came and I have not stopped since. I was starting to think the IUD was spent or faltering...but now I think my body is catching up with reality...just like my mind is. I've been planning for this for years, and now it's here...and I wonder if that plays a part...maybe the body is trying to cleanse itself. Maybe the lack of calories is the problem since fat and hormones go together and there is far less fat. Although, I allowed myself the cheat day I could not get since the beginning of the month because I did not have enough money...and that meant more calories and fat...but still beeding--a little more even. Gyn visit tomorrow should bring more clarity.

How does one wipe anything down there after the procedure? Is it hard to reach? One woman said her husband had to clean her up...I don't have a husband...just young teenagers...can't have them do that...no way.

I guess from years of trying to diet, I had begun to bleed daily....so the doctor gave me an IUD that regulated my periods, although they went on for longer than the old 5 day routine...more like 7--9 days now. My surgery was to be August 29th..and got changed to September 6th....and this month, I have resumed daily bleeding since my cycle came and I have not stopped since. I was starting to think the IUD was spent or faltering...but now I think my body is catching up with reality...just like my mind is. I've been planning for this for years, and now it's here...and I wonder if that plays a part...maybe the body is trying to cleanse itself. Maybe the lack of calories is the problem since fat and hormones go together and there is far less fat. Although, I allowed myself the cheat day I could not get since the beginning of the month because I did not have enough money...and that meant more calories and fat...but still beeding--a little more even. Gyn visit tomorrow should bring more clarity.

How does one wipe anything down there after the procedure? Is it hard to reach? One woman said her husband had to clean her up...I don't have a husband...just young teenagers...can't have them do that...no way.

Congrats on your date! I had not thought about the wiping, I'm hoping it's easier than it was when I had a c-section...i think if your real careful you could probably manage at least I hope so, I would like to know this too. Thanks for mentioning this! :)