Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hatered,toward "fat" people.

Im sorry I used that word "fat" I just hate that word!!!! Hate it.

Why are people so mean and quick to judge Obese people, are we all lazy couch ridden people that love to shovel food down are throat we need pig trough around are neck's to eat.

I took my family down to the pool' and im sitting in the hot tub & these girls come in and one is very very large. the sister was about her normal weight should be close. And then these young boy's come in and the first word on of that boy was your fat!!! you take up room for four people. the girl just laughed it off. and jumped in the pool. I sat there speach less.

later on the boy asked me why I' have strech marks" I looked him in the face and told him because "I" was fat and I have a pitcher if you want to see it.

then one kid tell's a lady she is fat! And then he asked me when he could come over to my house and see the kidd's.

I told him You no you are really rude! you don't walk up to some one and say that.

WORD'S HIT HARDER THE A FIST! YOU WILL FOR GET A PUNCH IN THE MOUTH IN TIME THOSE HATEFULL WORDS THAT LADY WILL REMEMBER FOR LIFE!

aND THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE FAT, LARGE OBESE; NOT BY CHOICE DUE TO MEDICAL REASON'S AND CAN'T HELP IT.

SO NEXT THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!:confused:

My experience with that sort of thing is that what goes around usually comes around. I've known many people who were vicious like that and unfortunately somewhere along they line they've met up with sometimes awful things happening to them or someone in their family. Tragedy knows no addresses. I've heard it said that a person should choose their words wisely as they may have to eat them later on.

Once, I was standing in a bank, when I heard "Oh MY GOD, I didn't know they made pants that big." So I turn around, looking for the "fat" person so I could give them a "I understand" smile, and then realized this woman was talking about me. She was maybe 75 years old, and with an assistant, who looked like maybe she was a nurse.

So I stood in line, my face RED thinking about what I was going to do. I was embarrassed, but also PISSED! How dare she say something like that!

I finished my banking, then stood there and waited. She finished her banking, and started to walk by me...still talking about how big my pants were. So I stopped her, and said....

"ma'am, I heard what you said about my pants, and I wanted to let you know that before you make comments like that, you should think about the fact that maybe the person can hear you. I have thyroid cancer, and can't control my weight, so that was very hurtful".

She started to stammer something about how sorry she was, she had no idea, cancer is horrible......etc.

So I waited for a minute, and then said "see how you feel now? Embarrassed and not sure what to do? That is how I feel everytime someone makes a comment about my weight. I don't have cancer, I am just fat. But the fact is, if you feel bad about saying it now, you shouldn't have said it at all. Did you think the whole bank needed to hear about how fat I was? Do you think no one else noticed? You just needed to make yourself feel better? How sad is your life, when you have to make fun of someone to feel good about yourself."

And turned on my heel and walked out. As I left, one of the bank employees who was a bigger woman said "you tell em".

Yes, there definately is a lot of discrimination towards fat people. I do believe that children are the worst. Sometimes I think the younger ones don't know any better and they just speak their minds but I think a lot of them were reared that way by their parents. I don't know how many times I have heard the adults in a family making rude comments loudly at a restaurant about an obese person's weight right in front of their children. So these kids think its perfectly acceptable to tell every large person they see how fat they are. I just think that is such a messed up way to raise your kids. :confused:

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/180/150ish

5'7''

Yes, there definately is a lot of discrimination towards fat people. I do believe that children are the worst. Sometimes I think the younger ones don't know any better and they just speak their minds but I think a lot of them were reared that way by their parents. I don't know how many times I have heard the adults in a family making rude comments loudly at a restaurant about an obese person's weight right in front of their children. So these kids think its perfectly acceptable to tell every large person they see how fat they are. I just think that is such a messed up way to raise your kids. :confused:

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/180/150ish

5'7''

I don't mind kid's comments so much, if they are just stating it as a fact and not using it as an insult. My 4 year old neice says I'm soft and fluffy, and to her that is a great thing, I'm good to cuddle with.

But I agree with you that attitudes are passed along to kids, and I'm sure we've all had our moments. Like the teenager who passed me in the mall one day and muttered "you're fat". Gee, I'm glad he told me, I wouldn't have known otherwise. About a minute too late I wished I had just stuck out a foot and tripped him.

We are in the throes of a new Puritan revolution and it's really irritating. The media and government had no problem vilifying people due to weight or smoking. One wonders if there is a civilized place in the world. Certainly the U.S. is not it. Don't people know that all body shapes are okay and if one smokes, it is probably not really going to cause cancer in everyone they meet? I have found that being pariah is a growth experience since I now know how Jews in Europe felt during Hitler's reign. However, I am looking for civilized countries to move to. I study the Puritans and I don't like them. They were totally intolerant of folks who weren't Puritans. They whipped Quakers through the streets. I am worried about this new Puritanism. But I know that most people don't really think, they just react, and that's a shame.

I don't understand people who ridicule others at all! I would never comment on another person's flaws but it seems like if you are big your an open target. I don't understand the argument that obesity affects everyone because it raises the cost of health insurance well it may be true but doesn’t everything raise the cost of health insurance including drinking, smoking, and any and every kind of illness. And just like every other kind of illness we did not choose to be obese, because who in their right mind would choose it. And I hate the argument that all fat people are lazy and have no self control. Why is it that people have sympathy for drug addicts and alcoholics and do not blame their vices on them while if you are fat you automatically have no self control? It makes no sense to me. If anything it seems like it would be easier to be an alcoholic because once you quit drinking you never have to drink again we can't quit food it is there everyday taunting us. Jeeze sorry I am kind of rambling here I was looking online for info about exercise for big people and I came across all these anti-obesity web pages, I shouldn't have looked but I couldn't resist and now I’m angry. Well thanks for letting me vent

it's because gluttony is one of the 7 deadly sins.

Seems like it's always been a case of "I be more pious than thou art." Besides, it's easier to get away with your own ... sins if you make a big ruckus about what other people are doing. Slight of hand, distraction...

I guess big people are more of an open target since people can clearly see we have a problem. There is no way to "hide" from people. People can hide alcoholism and drug abuse and many other things, but we are just out there. It still doesn't make it right. I wish people knew what it felt like.

Once I went to a party of people I didn't know and I wore a bathing suit. I had a cover up on but some guy walked past me and said "omg what is that?" and it didn't feel too good. Him and the rest of his groupie friends sat there making fun of me for about an hour until I asked my boyfriend for us to leave.

Obesity is a physical handicap that we carry with us everyday. In public, you never know what kind of nasty comments you'll hear. In fact, I think this is the greatest prejudice of all.

If you see a person in a wheelchair, you don't go up to that person and say, "How long have you been cripple?" If we see a blind person with a cane or seeing eye dog would we ever think of screaming out, "Can you see ANYTHING or are you TOTALLY blind?" Sadly, it's not the same with obesity. It's a turn off for many people and they feel obligated to express that. I feel sorry for them but it does nothing to lessen the pain.

It's best to educate children, try and ignore insensitive/cruel people, and hold you head high and move forward. We know we're special and have a lot to offer... even if others can't see past the obvious.

since I now know how Jews in Europe felt during Hitler's reign. However, I am looking for civilized countries to move to.

BitterOldHag........I know you didn't mean the above how it sounded, but be careful making statements like that. I happen to live in Europe (my dh's grandparents were part of the Dutch underground, which secreted Jews out of the Netherlands, and lived about 30 minutes from a camp where Jews, including Anne Frank, were shipped to their deaths in the tens of thousands). I think in America we have a tendency to be detached from the reality of the Holocaust, but that doesn't mean we can compare the judgement of being a smoker with a reign that cost millions of peoplle their lives and dignity. Come to Europe, vist these places and talk to the people who lived through these deportments...saw their neighbors shipped away...entire families...never to return. I don't believe you will use that example again. I may have before, but I don't after experiencing the reality so close to the "heart of the Holocaust."

And, for your second point...there are no "civilized countries" when it comes to being fat. Americans are known to be some of the fattest people in the world (and I have been to MANY countries)....and we are looked at that way. In most of Europe, the Middle East, Asia, etc. they are FAR LESS ACCEPTING of obesity. You think seats are small there and being fat isn't accomodated...try coming here where I cannot buy ANY clothes...

You are doing fine where you are. I miss being somewhere where I can hide amongst people like me! ;-)

It's all about parents teaching their kids. I've shared with both my kids how difficult it was growing up as a fat kid, the ridicule and scorn I received from my peers and the indifference from adults that sat by and watched. Both of them are very sensitive and have set their peers straight when such things come up.

I'm so proud when they tell me of an incident where they stood up and said something when comments were made. It starts with us.

I think she meant in the discriminatory state. That is how I saw it at least.

If it weren't for places like Lane Bryant clothing stores, I would have nothing to wear =/

I believe that, to a degree, we are all a product of our environment. This child probably hears the adults in his life ridicule obese people and maybe even disabled....I've heard that many times too. When he mimics them they probably don't correct him out of their own ignorance.

The only thing that bothers me when I hear a child ridule someone else is that he is not being taught otherwise.....he is merely doing what he knows.

However, when it comes to adults it isabsolutely infuriates me and is totally unacceptable....no matter how ignorant they should know better.......whatever they choose to believe they should still show more sensitivity to the feelings of others.

Carol