Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone near Virginia Tech?

My DH just got a job there and we will be moving anyone know where i can find a surgeon for fills and such. Also support groups.

TIA

Amy

Hi Amy and Melinda,

I work at VT too and live in Radford! Will you be moving to Blacksburg? There are a couple of support groups, one in Roanoke (about 40 miles from Blacksburg) and one in Radford (about 15 miles away). The hospital in Radford just recently started doing bands, they did mostly bypass so most of the ppl in the support group do not have bands. I am planning to begin attending the Roanoke group, I believe they meet on the first Monday of the month. The dietician who leads it is Kay Clatterbuck and she's really nice and does a lot to encourage everyone!

Look forward to talking to you more soon!

Alisa

My doc is in Roanoke, Lucktong, and he is with Carilion Surgical Care and is really great! It would be worth calling his office to see if you can get on his schedules for fills and such.

Hey, I am near Virginia Tech. I love in Galax and my doctor is in Radford. His name is Dr. Bissell and he and his staff are wonderful. If you need any info, just contact me and I'll give you all that I can! ;o)

Dr. Bissell is doing my band on June 3rd. He is wonderful!!

We actually dealt with him a couple of years ago when my hubby had to have colon surgery and he was great.

The support group at radford meets the last tuesday of every month at 630 in the Montgomery room... and he is strict about ppl attending there have been a ton of his patients who have been banded attending.

Hope to maybe see ya'll there.

Im in christiansburg btw... Work at juvie :thumbup:

Kim

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the updated about bandsters being at the meetings in Radford, that's great news! Since I am in Radford, that definitely makes more sense for me rather than driving to Roanoke every month (especially with gas prices).

How long are the meetings usually and will there be one next week?

Alisa

Meetings are at 6:30 on the last Tuesday of every month at the Hospital in the Montgomery Room. (Down stairs from St. Albans)

There is one on the 27th and they generally last about an hour.

The last meeting the room was full and there was only one person who was there for bypass all others were bandsters :thumbup:

I will be coming from work so I will be the one in the Detention Home shirt :)

Hope to see ya there!!

Kim

what is discussed at the monthly meetings at radford? I'm in Floyd and that would be closer for me than roanoke too!:biggrin2:

btw - I just called my insurance and I luckily just made the yearly renewal deadline to add weight loss surgery to my policy...yipee. Maybe thats a sign I'm on the right path.

The meetings are completely informal open forum...

It's mainly just us asking each other questions and sharing with each other...

there is a representative from Dr. Bissell's team there (Rhonda) and she distributes attendance to all the doctors of the people who attend so that they will get credit for attendance

It's really great.. and usually just an hour long unless we get long winded :wink2:

I am from Christiansburg and work at the NRVMC where Dr Chavis and Bissell practice. I am halfway through the process (I think!) and hope to be banded in June. I will also be at the support group on the 27th. Kim-I think I remember seeing you at the last meeting--I was the one worried about the psych consult--weren't you the one telling me how nice Dr Hamilton is? I had my consult last week and he really is a very nice person. Looking forward to seeing y'all again!

Yeah that was me :wink2:

have you done all the bubble tests yet??

those are fun!!! (sorry about the sarcasm) :smile:

See ya Tuesday!!

I go tomorrow for my final appointment and start my preop diet on Friday, so we'll see what kind of shape I'm in on Tuesday.

Kim

I actually registered to the class on Wed. the 28th, its the communtiy ed class also in the montgomery room that is for people who are interested in weight loss surgery and can get info about it versus on the 27th is more a support group for those who are planning on it or already has it.

how is the phsy. evaluation - what questions are asked? that one makes me nervous.

have you already had your intital appointment with tammy??

If so I would try to make the support group meeting also... Dr. Bissell WILL ask when you get an appointment with him if you attended both... just FYI

and the psyc is not bad... it's Dr. Hamilton right there at the hospital, and you see him twice, first appointment he asks a ton of questions, takes about an hour the second appointment he has you fill out a BUNCH of standardized tests, tons of bubble fill in forms from there he does a report and sends it in to Dr. Bissell's office.

Terriann-

I would also recommend coming to both meetings--you'll be a bit ahead of the curve, and I also think I learned more about living with a band in the support meeting than I did at the intro seminar which was more about the surgery itself.

My psych tests were a snap--I only had one that had fill in bubbles, the other three were multiple choice, It only took me about 15 minutes to do all of them. Dr Hamilton was so easy to talk to--the time flew by and I wasn't uncomfortable with a single thing he asked me.

Thanks JRT and Huggie I will go to Tues. meeting also so I will be ahead of the game before I meet with a doc.

Huggie Bear - No, I have not made an appt. with Tammy yet. I am still waiting on my next appt. with a doctor in Salem that was checking out my liver where it was enlarged and causing pain in my upper right side. I will meet with him on June 6th and he said if I have not been successfull in loosing any weight since he saw me last Aug. he would recommend me to a weight loss dr. and I would be a good candidate for the lap band. But I think he will probably recommend me to one in Roanoke. I would rather not make the longer drive, Radford would be closer but I want a good doc with lots of experience and good stats.

I wonder if the classes I'm attending in Radford will count good with the docs in Raonoke too?

So many decisions......:confused2:

Edited by Terriann