Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB or Something Else?

I have read the definition of a PB and I am not sure if what I experienced last night is a PB or something else. I am a week post op and my surgeon said I could swallow pills regularly and well I tried to swallow a half of a pill and well it felt like it got stuck and that horrible feeling in my throat and chest stayed for over 4 hours until I decided to try and throw it up, but nothing came up but some saliva. The ER nurse said I most likely just scratched my throat with the pill and that is why it felt like it was stuck but that as long as I was breathing and I could swallow my own spit then I was perfectly fine and the pill was not lodged in my throat or chest. I still dont feel 100% today, but I have been able to eat my broth and Jello and drink and my chest only hurts alittle now. So my question is, is this what they consider PBing? If so I NEVER want to go through that again.

Thanks!

Close enough...you got the stuck feeling, the golf ball, I don't guess you actually slimed, (where you produce overloads of saliva and can't swallow it...have to spit and spit and spit...yuck) and you allowed yourself to throw up...a PB will come whether you like it or not!...but, yeah, close enough.

If you can cut your pill, perhaps you can crush it in some applesauce?

Make a nice, slow re-entry into drinking again. Sip small. I'd also recommend aloe vera juice to sooth and heal. A few ounces a few times a day till all this gets better.

Welcome to bandland! It's a doozie!

Hey Its Been A Week Today For Me And I Had A Similar Incident,ate Something That Was Not Allowed I Was Freaking Out ,it Took Me Over I Finially Stuck Myfinger Down My Throat And Salvia Came Out A Whole Wack

That Drove Me Nuts , Never Don That Again

You should stay to want youa are supposed to eat the first six weeks. If you try more food it will only make your espohugus swollen and you will have more throwing up. I threw up all the time and I had an unfill to let things relax . I just got refilled and it is much better. The best advice is do push and try to eat while you are recovering. You will be better off in the long run. You also will feel more restriction in the beginning of recovering.

It sounded like you pb'd but as for you meds. Check with the pharmacist or doctor if they can be crushed. Time release meds can be crushed so check first. I had meds that I put in sugar free pre made pudding 2 days after surgery and for several months. Good Luck

Sometimes I'm able to "PB" without anything coming up. It's almost as if the contractions used to wretch are enough to push the stuck foods down. This has happened the last two times I've had to bring something back up. I get in the bathroom, do my wretching, and feel better without the actual food object coming up.

PB's suck, but you will learn to live with them.

No one likes them, alot of people won't even get a fill in their band to try to avoid them, but it happens.

I think that band doctors should be more accountable about letting people know what they are in for with these problems.