Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buffet Discounts?

I am going to a brazilian steakhouse in a few weeks. It is one of those place where they walk around with skewers of meat and people gorge themselves on fantastic food. I will be doing the eating (my whole 3oz. of meat) but not the gorging. Has anyone ever asked for a discount, or kids price due to their surgery? I have heard of people having a dining card or something?

Some places do knock off prices if you have a bariatric card. This also allows you to order from kids menus. You can ask one from your doctor or there is a generic one you can find on google. Here is a generic one you can get signed

http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/RestaurantCard.html

Some places do knock off prices if you have a bariatric card. This also allows you to order from kids menus. You can ask one from your doctor or there is a generic one you can find on google. Here is a generic one you can get signed

http://www.obesityhe...aurantCard.html

That is interesting,I did not know about :) It's seem to be kind of hard to print that card ( at least for me )

i have been able to eat off the Kids menu with no problem, at Hibatchi my daughter and i shared an adults meal. But when we went to the chinese buffet, my husband and daughter got the buffet and they wouldnt give me a deal and i ordered off the menu and they watched us like a hawk. My husband got 3 donuts and the lady told him, that better not be for her lol.

I've been to Golden Corral a couple of times since surgery. The one near my house will only give me the senior discount, which is fine. I don't mind so much because I know they lost money on me for many years! LOL I figure I'm just paying it back now.

I usually have baked chicken and some kind of Soup. If the seafood salad looks fresh, I may have a bite or two. If I'm feeling really adventurous, I'll put a teaspoon of different kinds of food on my plate. Since surgery, many of the things I liked before don't sit very well.

My local GC has installed a chocolate fountain. I sit FAR away from that temptation. Although, since most of the kids that visit it don't really take care to keep their hands out of the flow, it's not that big a deal.

We were told that a lot of restaurants don't honor the cards anymore. I've never tried. Personally, I don't bother with any of that. I share meals all the time with my daughter. It's great! We split it and save tons of money. If not that, I get a take home box for later.

Brazilian steakhouse is the last place I would be going. The one near me absolutely will not give you a discount.....AND they bring the food to your table....so you will constantly be sitting there while everyone else gets to sample food. Why put yourself in that situation?

I've been to Golden Corral a couple of times since surgery. The one near my house will only give me the senior discount, which is fine. I don't mind so much because I know they lost money on me for many years! LOL I figure I'm just paying it back now. I usually have baked chicken and some kind of Soup. If the seafood salad looks fresh, I may have a bite or two. If I'm feeling really adventurous, I'll put a teaspoon of different kinds of food on my plate. Since surgery, many of the things I liked before don't sit very well. My local GC has installed a chocolate fountain. I sit FAR away from that temptation. Although, since most of the kids that visit it don't really take care to keep their hands out of the flow, it's not that big a deal.
I was thinking the same thing, they lost money on me for 20 years now they have a chance to get it back. LOL Seriously, I order off the kids menu at our local pub on friday nite fish nite. 3 bucks and I take home the potatoe. Or like last saturday, we stopped at our favorite mexican resturant and my wife and I, split a taco special. Just asked for a extra plate. Seems most places that we have visited go out of their way to help us. But I don't do chains like "golden coral or china buffet" No good came from those places when I could eat before surgery and going there now and watching extremely obese people shovel piles of food in their mouths would just get me upset, to say it nicely.

I'm such a cheap date now. LOL

i have been able to eat off the Kids menu with no problem, at Hibatchi my daughter and i shared an adults meal. But when we went to the chinese buffet, my husband and daughter got the buffet and they wouldnt give me a deal and i ordered off the menu and they watched us like a hawk. My husband got 3 donuts and the lady told him, that better not be for her lol.

I would never, EVER go back to that place. I'd give them the worst review on Yelp as well.

I'm such a cheap date now. LOL

That's what my husband says ;-)

golden corral and coyote canyon give me the senior discount everytime. other then that I never order food i eat off others plates and call it a day..lol I dont mind watching others eat cause im usually full already anyways so its not different if i was full then too.. kwim!

Yeah, a few restaurants around us will no longer give a discount - times are just too tough for them. I've only been to one buffet since WLS and just paid up, ate my fill - which was practically nothing - and was very satisfied, as was all the other fatties in my party :) I don't object as they are often very fairly priced anyways. A high priced Brazilian place might charge a ridiculous price for even a non WLS patient. You' just have to decide if the price is worth it to be with your company.

I also tend to now view going out to eat as a social event rather than an opportunity to gorge. I like the company and experience more than the food.

Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it, pay up and eat what you can. I just avoid buffets if I can and hit ala carte places so I can take the leftovers home.

Churrascarias around here charge 40-$50 per person for dinner. The child's price is not much better. I'm as money conscious as the restaurants and cannot grin and bear full price. A good manager should find ways to accommodate people. I went to Red Lobster last night because, well i've been craving lobster and they are healthy and reasonable. I got a plate that has two lobster tails and a seafood alfredo. I asked if they could skip the Pasta and put the seafood mix over broccoli. Even though the seafood was already mixed into the Pasta, they did it for me anyway. I will be back and I will also give them a stellar review.

If you don't think they are paying attention, think again. I usually give good reviews, but was emailed by a restaurant explaining correction and would I give them another chance. Chain restaurants are less likely, but still.

I know our surgery is not their problem, but pleasing customers for repeat business is just smart. I also get lobster to eat for Ash Wednesday and lent Friday :-) Hardly a sacrifice huh, I should do a day of nothing but Protein shakes. Okay, one fish meal or cheese meal and two Protein Shakes.

My husband loves Texas de Brazil- an amazing brazillian churasscaria in Orlando- We have been many times since my surgery and they ALWAYS give me a discount- they charge the senior price- of course I don't even eat as much as a child's portion but since they are not sitting there monitering you i'ts understandable. Even when I had my lapband they discounted my meal. Almost every place we have been to provides a discount- just ask to speak to the manager- Servers tend to be a bit on the gruff side so I skip them and go right to the one making the decision- I have personally only been asked to see my "card" on a few occasions but I don't find it embarrasing or weird at all.

BUT also now that Ive been sleeved I ususally just order an appetizer as my meal and I don't use the card-

I don't have a card per se. If they don't give me a break, well then out I go. I could lift my shirt so they could see the scars. ;-)