Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnancy Vs Wls? Please Help.

Do you mind if I ask what your BMI is? There's a big difference between pregnancy with a BMI in the 40s and a BMI above 50.

My starting weight with all three of my kids was 260 - at 5'5", that's a BMI of 43.3, and I also had no co-morbidities. I had perfectly healthy pregnancies and perfectly healthy kids with all 3. With my first son, I was borderline GD, but I monitored my blood glucose levels for about a month and they were fine, even without making major changes to my diet. They were all born at healthy weights - 8-4, 8-3, and 9-2. My husband and I were 8-14 and 9-10 when born, so that was about where they'd have been anyway regardless of any GD issues.

I did have 2 miscarriages and some fertility issues between 1 and 2, but after testing I found out that I have a blood clotting disorder called MTHFR that was probably the culprit. I got pregnant pretty quickly and easily with 1 and 3.

After all that blah blah blah, I say to go for babies now, surgery later. If your doctor is telling you that your fertile time may be running out, listen to him. Surgery will still be there in a few years - your fertility may not.

IMHO, I would try for the baby first. I know that there are risks with obesity and pregnancy, but I think with good medical care, u would be ok. On another note though, I had fertility issues of my own, though I'm a little younger than u are. I didn't have VSG to get pregnant, but I'm 3 months out and 7 weeks pregnant. I know I was supposed to wait 18 months after surgery, but this is what happened. My surgeon and ob both know and are fine.

OP, what did you decide?

As someone who has struggled through infertility (not related to age) I would say go for the baby first. The reality is, it might not be the "ideal" but fat women get pregnant and carry healthy babies to term all the time (just like skinny women have children with complications all the time...it's a gamble for all of us). I have a fat mom who gave birth to four healthy kids, and as a fat woman I easily got pregnant with my first and then had fertility treatments for my twins.

Doctors love to scare us with stats. My morbid obesity was apparently a ticking time bomb in my 27 year old body. Whatever. Plenty of larger ladies have children and if the amount of weight you're planning to lose post surgery isn't a very large amount anyway, I am sure you can have a happy and healthy pregnancy and lose the weight once you're done.

Mess with your fertility, though? That's trouble. You can always lose the weight later, but if your egg quality diminishes you're going to have a hell of a time having a baby and your odds DECREASE as time marches on, whereas your age doesn't affect your success with the sleeve. I have friends that waited for one reason or another and have invested so much time, suffering and money into infertility treatments that it's absolutely heartbreaking.

Oh, and if you have one prior to surgery and want to try again a year or two post op? Do it! I've just completed my second round and am currently pregnant. Despite everything I'd hoped, this skinny pregnancy actually seems harder on me than the two fat ones! It's all luck of the draw, but I'm sick, I'm tired and I'm grumpy. I think age affects this SO much more than weight, so please, let us know what you decided and how things are going!

~Cheri