Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waking Up At 2 Am, Ketosis?

I've seen a few other forms discuss this, but didn't find much help from them. So, I'm 4 wks out this Monday and for the last week I wake up at 2am for no reason and then can't get back to sleep. I don't have anxiety or restless legs, or depression or anything. I really think it's related to the surgery.

some people mentioned ketosis as the cause??? anybody else going through this? any advice? does it go away? when? I'm so tired and I start work full time at a demanding job.... the dark circles are growing by day. help

I can so relate to this, I don't get sleep at night anymore. I am like a baby now sleep during the day and awake at night. Good I don't plan on going back to work anytime soon. I will wait on some advice like you from this forum......

Yes, I wake every night between 2:30-3 and then again at 5am. Both times just wide awake. I mentioned it to my doctor and he was baffled, seemed to think it could be a sign of depression. Hogwash! I know myself, and I know this is not depression, it was more like an alarm clock in my body waking me up. And yes, I've read that it could be ketosis as well. Wikipedia has a great explanation of it, but here's my understanding: Most of us have a fatty liver, that will go away like all the other fat. When you wake at all, to roll over, pee, etc. the liver can trigger that you need energy, like you're waking up. Since it's in ketosis, it burns up some of the fat for energy, turning it into ketones for the brain. This can trick the pancreas to push a small amount of sugar into the bloodstream. It's like your body thinks it's time to wake up, so it goes into motion. (Please take this with pause as I am not a chemist or biologist, but this is what I took away from it...)

I was waking up really early and being wide awake for the first week. Today was the 1st day I slept late, but I had a late nite and also it was raining cats n dogs here this morning...good for sleepin! I know before years ago when I did the Atkins diet very striclty I had tons of energy and needed less sleep so maybe it is the ketosis.

I am actually sleeping more - but I was sleeping about 2-4 hours a night before. I have had serious sleep issues since I was a child. I used to have so much trouble at one point they would put me to sleep in the outpatient section of the hospital sometimes.

So I now sleep quite a bit more, about 6 hours. With a lunesta I can sleep almost 8 hours - but I have to wait a few more to drive, so I have only took it a couple of times, and none since I returned to work.

If it persists I would suggest looking into it further, poor sleep has been proven to affect weight loss and maintenance among many other things.

My sleeping was all messed up for the first 6 weeks. Then I seemed to have resumed back to my normal sleeping patterns. I had surgery on Dec 11, 2011 and not having any problems at this point.

What an interesting topic. I have to admit I've had some sleepless nights myself and also woken up at strange times. I really never thought it had anything to do with the surgery though. Will be interested to know what others think

This is happening to me more often than before the surgery. Before that would happen to me if sleep too much during the day and couldn't sleep at night. But after the surgery, I wake up restless a lot more often. I take a pill to fall asleep but it is only to fall asleep, if I wake up during the night I have trouble going back to see. I often think that restlessness comes from not being active enough during the day.

You know what helps to regulate things -- regular (like at least 5 days a week) of at least moderate intensity exercise.

That seems to help with fixing sleep patterns and also helps with mild depression symptoms.

Eating a high Protein / low carb / low sugar diet is essentially the Atkins diet. When your carb intake is reduced to about 50 or less per day, you body will go into a state of Ketosis. This is a VERY GOOD thing, because your body will burn fat for fuel and you will lose weight. Combined with caloric diet < 700 per day during first year, and your body should stay in a constant state of Ketosis.

This results in a sense of feeling a constant level of high energy and also that you may not need as much sleep.

The net result is that you will wake up after short periods of sleep and your body may be fully rested.

As always, this is highly dependent on the person and how their body reacts to the diet and the low caloric intake each day.

The proof point of this is when you eat a heavy meal with lots of starch and carbs, you want to do what: SLEEP!!!

-RC-