Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Were You Off Work?

OK, I'm sorry. I know this question has been asked a million times, but for those of you that had the surgery, how long were you out of work.

I just got my surgery date this week! It's 3/6. I was filling out my STD and FMLA paper work today and they asked for an expected return to work day. I put 4 - 6 weeks out. Then I called my doctor and they said I'd only be out fot 1 - 2 weeks! From what I've read on these boards, it doesn't sound to me like I will be ready to go back to work 1 - 2 weeks after surgery. Has anyone gone back that fast?

I'm currently unemployed, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I've had a positive outcome with my surgery, so far no complications, recovery has been on target. I'm in the middle of week three, and if I had a job I "could" go back to work. Physically, I'm very normal with the exception of my pants tugging on my abdomen in odd positions. But that's nothing noticable or show stopping. I can shower, dress, drive, do errands, etc. However, I will say that my energy is only about 50% of normal and my brain is very foggy. They say that can be due to a number of things like ketosis (low carbs, breakdown of fat and estrogen) and dehydration, or low blood pressure. Just the body getting used to all the changes and adjusting...normal stuff to stay on top of though. That being said, while I "could" go back to work at this point, I'm thankful I'm not. I would say 2 weeks is the minimum, 4 weeks is probably ideal -- based on how improvement happens a little bit each day. Plus, it's work to get used to the Fluid stage, then managing the mushy stage (weeks 1/2 and 3/4) -- plus getting in plenty of fluids. Another reason to not be "distracted" at work. Take the optimal time to develop your new habits, practice them like crazy so they'll just be the norm when you go back to work.

Everyone is different, though, so keep in mind there is no telling how your surgery will go vs. anyone else. You'll have to play it by ear and let nature take its course with you. Hope this helps!!

Hey, I had surgery on 1/19, I went back to work full time a little over 2 weeks. The first day back at work was the longest day of my life! I was so tired by the end of the day. I would say to take a solid 3 weeks off work. It also depends on what kind of work you do. I am an administrative assistant in an out patient rehab and I do a lot of side down/stand up work. I practically get a work out in just by how often I go from sitting to standing. So my reccomendation would by for sure 3 weeks. Dont push yourself to hard to soon, I did with working out and tore my stomache muscle, its not worth it! Good luck to you with your surgery!

My Dr. told me 4 to 6 weeks, when I went for my 1 weeks post op he asked me how long do I want to be out. I told him until I start with solid foods. So he gave me 6weeks, and I am glad he did, because I have been so tired and some days are much better than others, like right now I am having a hard time and am glad I am not back to work yet. BTW, I had my surgeryon 01/25/2012.

5 weeks for me and from the looks of it, I am going to need every bit of that time! My boss wanted to make sure when I got back to work, I was going to be ready to work. 4-6 weeks is good if you can take that long.

I went back to work one week after. I am a hairdresser and set my own hours. So I was back P/T for the first 2 weeks. I was just fine though with being on my feet and all.

Julie

oh man i put in two weeks at work, i hope i can handle it.. my friend who got the bypass requested 3 weeks.. i am getting sleeved so maybe two weeks?.. good question

I was sleeved on 2/2, and am going back to work on Tuesday, 2/21, so I'll have been out about 2 1/2 weeks. I did request that my dr's note to return to work state that I can only work four hours a day for my first week back since I imagine it was be exhausting. Other than being tired, though, I feel physically ready to go back. I'm a secretary, so other than getting up and down out of a chair often, I don't do any heavy lifting or exert too much energy.

I got 4 weeks off thankfully! I got back on the 27th and not really looking forward to it. I'm on my feet and constantly moving so I'll be starting slow.

I had my surgery on 1/31 (a Tuesday). I went back to work exactly 15 days later (a Wednesday). That Wednesday-Friday I worked from about 9:30am-4pm, so kinda part-time. But, honestly I felt great. My work does not involve alot of physical activity. I sit at a desk and I do alot of hallway walking, but I've not felt at all tired at work.

I initially thought I would only need one week because there were a couple of people that I knew who were sleeved and were actually driving like 3-4 days later.

I ended up taking 2 weeks. I went back to work exactly 14 days later and working full time. I feel completely fine. I didn't experience any of the exhaustion that other people mentioned. I was so afraid that going back at 2 weeks I was going to be dead tired, but I was really okay.

I'd just say make sure you take your B12 and Multivitamin...maybe that's where I got that extra boost. I work a full 8 hr shift and I'm alright at the end of the day. As a matter of fact I run errands and do a lot of things after work.

I'm 11 days out and there is no way I could work right now - I'm a stay at home mom and I've had to have my mother here with my every day to take care of the children. I did have complications (an infection in my staple line) so that could be why I'm still as exhausted as I am- but I seriously think I need at least another week before I'm at least back up to half or 3/4 energy.

I had surgery Thursday..was working Monday no issues...office job. BUT..you can sweet talk a doc into putting a longer date on the form. Just ask

I am a law enforcement officer and went back to work with full 20 lb gun belt 11 days out. Fortunately, I'm a supervisor in an low intensity environment and the risk of altercations is very low. The doctor did approve me for light duty and except for a lot of walking, I complied. I don't know if I would recommend this to anyone out there! I'm exhausted!

Take as much time off as you can afford to take and learn all you can about your new diet! However, I must say that I would have been bored to death if I had stayed home for much longer than 2 weeks. I had lost nearly 30 lbs since my pre-op diet and the look on my co-workers' faces was priceless when they saw me for the first time. :) In just 3 weeks I had gone from an XXL shirt to XL and size 42 waist to 40! I also went down 3 notches on my gun belt and that felt amazing! I have to order a new one, and soon!

Good luck everybody!

Initially the doctor said two weeks, that is for everyone that has the surgery at his office. However, I got three weeks off due to being rehospitialized.