Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Job Interview Next Week. What To Do?!?!

Next week, I've been scheduled for a first round of interviews with a MAJOR "fruit-named" technology company here in Silicon Valley. This means going for a period of 4-5 hours straight (usually an afternoon) and interviewing in half-hour intervals with groups of 2-4 people (about 25 total). This is very normal for the type of work I do, I've done this in the past. It's grueling and exhausting! I'm nervous and worried for a number of reasons:

1. I'm still on liquids, introducing very soft mushies (eggs, cottage cheese, tofu) and will be next week. They are talking about making it a lunch thing, which could mean they want to cater or take me to lunch. I'm nervous that I will have to tell them what's going on because I'll be sipping on a Protein shake while they eat!

2. Energy levels suck!! I'm on day 17 now and will be on day 25/26 during the interview. Right now, I do OK to get up take care of some things, go for a walk, shower, etc. Then I'm absolutely exhausted! I'm also very spacey in my thinking, hard to capture words and recall details. Not good things to have for an important interview when I need to be sharp.

3. If I'm going to be with them for that long, I will need to be sipping on Water and Protein at some point. Will they ask me about it? Will I have to tell them about the surgery? If they hire me, they will notice the weight loss so I might as well. But I'm worried they'll think something is wrong with me and that I'll be unreliable. I already got fired from one job when I was having to go to a lot of doctor's appointments and was sick a lot.

4. Sitting that much hurts. My belly hurts if I don't get up or lie down periodically. Plus, I'm slow walking and getting up from a chair. The incisions are still tendor inside. These are people that bound upstairs and walk with a brisk pace, because that's just the pace there.

The tech industry out here is VERY DIFFERENT from most work environments. In my line of work, 10-14 hour days, working weekends, pulling all-nighters are the norm. If you aren't willing to do it -- likely there is some young college grad who's willing to steal it out from under you and get promoted. I know I need to change my habits with work, make time for exercise, planning meals, eating at the right time of day, not skipping meals, sleeping properly. But it is not working in my favor to find an "easier" job or line of work. I apply for them and I'm told I'm "overqualified and won't be happy" in such an entry-level type work.

Believe me, this is an amazing opportunity that I've been wanting to happen for years now. It just seems to be happening at THE WORST TIME EVER. I'm not sure they want someone who has so many boundaries with how long and how hard I can go...

Right now, I'm trying not to overthink it. Just need to make it through the interview... BUT HOW?! I want to be happy that this is happening for me, but I'm more scared about it than happy.

This is a very hard position you're in. If it were me (and this isn't advice, just my personal opinion for me if I were in your shoes), I would talk to the person in charge of interviews and be honest.

I'd say i am thrilled at the opportunity and look forward to it, but that i wanted to make you aware that I just had major surgery on (such date) and am not quite 100%, but am doing wonderful so far. It will not affect my work habits or ethics in anyway but for the next few weeks I'm moving a little slow and eating a little less. So with that said please know you can be assured I will heal before this position is available and I hope that you understand my temporary needs.

Something like that;-)

I've been there and done that. It's pretty straight forward. When you go out (or they bring in), let them know that you are having some blood work drawn in a few days for your annual checkup and your on a liquid diet until until then. They won't get to much into the privacy matters during the process. Most people are respectful of HIPAA laws.

I goes I understand where you are coming from. I haven't had my surgery yet but I am a new nursing grad and I have all of the same apprehensions about applying for jobs, which will be right after my surgery. Please keep us informed but I know everything will go well for you and you WILL get the job!!!

I would do what Massindex says. It isn't their business what surgery you had but if they ask, you should minimize the severity of it. You don't want them to think "Oh she is going to be a liability on our insurance premiums!"

I like what Mass stated, however, I hear you saying that your kinda foggy. This could be due to ketosis. Maybe if you eat something high in carbs, it might help with your feeling foggy. Just a suggestion.

BTW, you could be feeling alot better by the time of the interview comes around. ;)

"Stop over thinking the situation, relax and heal. Drinking a Protein drink during lunch time shouldn't be a problem. A lot of other people drink Protein drinks in the work place also.

Thanks all!

I had the screening interview over the phone with the recruiter last week. She was very nice and understanding. I had told her I had surgery, but did not tell her the specifics. I told her straight up that working more than 40 hours a week or more than 8 in a day would not be common practice for me. And that I'd have lots of follow up work to do in the next six months, where I'd need afternoons off, etc. It's the first time I've ever been that honest with a recruiter.

Thankfully this is just a contract position, so they shouldn't worry about insurance. I'm on my husband's plan anyhow, better deal through his work.

Well, the best news about this for me: I've tried on some of my work clothes and they're too lose! ACK! I plan on spending this weekend digging through my closet to see if I have anything from years ago when I was a size 20. NICE!!

I certainly don't envy your position. I wish I knew what to tell you. I like what everyeon has said so far; especially, MassIndex and Dorrie Robles. Keep us posted. Be strong and have confidence - even if you don't have any. Good luck!

How did it go?

It's been postponed until the team gets past some crazy deadlines... fingers crossed!

It's been postponed until the team gets past some crazy deadlines... fingers crossed!

sounds great! gives you a little more time to recover! I would say around week 3 it was a night and day difference for me. Hope you have the same experience! Postponing means the stars and planets are lining up for you! :)