Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Arthur Carlin, Henry Ford Hospital Detroit, Mi

My surgeon was Dr. Carlin with Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, MI. I was originally going through Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, and things just didn't feel right with their office. I'm sure they have wonderful surgeons, it just didn't feel like a right fit for me. A friend of mine informed me that he had the surgery a year before and had already lost 200 lbs and that he loved his surgeon and the whole team. His surgeon was Dr. Carlin as well. I'm so pleased that I changed and went through Henry Ford. I have been having amazing results (106 lbs lost total, 35 pre-op, 71 post-op, date of surgery 11/7/11) and I have a ton of support from their staff! If anyone would like any further information or suggestions about this office, please let me know. I'd recommend them to anyone and I'm so glad the God directed me to them!

You have done a great job! Keep ROCKIN your SLEEVE! ;)

I went through Henry Ford Wyandotte! Dr Kharbutli was my surgeon.

I went through Henry Ford Wyandotte! Dr Kharbutli was my surgeon.

Awesome! It's nice to meet someone else who went through Henry Ford! I'm going with my husband next week for his orientation to looking into getting the sleeve done! Congrats on your weight loss!

Awesome! It's nice to meet someone else who went through Henry Ford! I'm going with my husband next week for his orientation to looking into getting the sleeve done! Congrats on your weight loss!

Thank you... Looks like you are doing great too!

I'm so glad to hear that you like Dr. Carlin. My surgery date is 3/26 with Dr. Carlin and I'm getting so nervous. I started the liquid diet and I can't stand the Protein Drinks. I'm starving! Hopefully it will get better.

Cameron69, It does get better! It was the BEST thing I ever did for myself! No regrets here! Take your measurements & keep a log of your weight too. Walk & sip, walk & sip... Follow your dr's. & nutritionist's orders. Good luck & keep us posted. :)

My surgeon was Dr. Carlin with Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, MI. I was originally going through Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, and things just didn't feel right with their office. I'm sure they have wonderful surgeons, it just didn't feel like a right fit for me. A friend of mine informed me that he had the surgery a year before and had already lost 200 lbs and that he loved his surgeon and the whole team. His surgeon was Dr. Carlin as well. I'm so pleased that I changed and went through Henry Ford. I have been having amazing results (106 lbs lost total, 35 pre-op, 71 post-op, date of surgery 11/7/11) and I have a ton of support from their staff! If anyone would like any further information or suggestions about this office, please let me know. I'd recommend them to anyone and I'm so glad the God directed me to them!

So glad to finally see a posting from my neck of the woods! I too will be going thru Henry Ford! I have to be honest & say I'm not thrilled I have to go downtown but thankfully just about the rest of the program requirements are at the Clinton Twp facility! You're doing wonderful on your weight loss! Can't wait till I can post something like that!

Regarding doctors, I'm not sure if I'm getting Dr. Genaw or Dr. Carlin? I think I will have Dr. Genaw tho. They are associates.

Thanks so much for posting!

I'm so glad to hear that you like Dr. Carlin. My surgery date is 3/26 with Dr. Carlin and I'm getting so nervous. I started the liquid diet and I can't stand the Protein drinks. I'm starving! Hopefully it will get better.

Oh you poor thing....that's what I'm so nervous about!!! I was hoping those Protein Drinks kept you full but I guess not, huh? I'll still have to prepare meals for my husband & kids....I really don't know how I'm going to do that!

Which Protein drinks are you having? I bought a couple of packages of Muscle Milk in preparation & put them aside, especially since it will be tough to spend extra money from our grocery budget on protein drinks or whatever I need to drink. So each paycheck, I buy a couple things & put aside. I opened one container of the vanilla flavored Muscle Milk to taste it & while it's okay, it's just super super sweet! I only took a sip so not sure I can drink the entire 11 oz container. The next week, I found a "Lite" version of Muscle Milk in coffee Flavor (hot dang!!!), so I bought 2 of those. I've never had a Protein Drink so not sure which one I'll like.

Good luck to you Cameron69! I hope everything goes well for you!

So glad to finally see a posting from my neck of the woods! I too will be going thru Henry Ford! I have to be honest & say I'm not thrilled I have to go downtown but thankfully just about the rest of the program requirements are at the Clinton Twp facility! You're doing wonderful on your weight loss! Can't wait till I can post something like that!

Regarding doctors, I'm not sure if I'm getting Dr. Genaw or Dr. Carlin? I think I will have Dr. Genaw tho. They are associates.

Thanks so much for posting!

You will very soon and you will be so proud of yourself for it! I never met Dr. Genaw, but I really love Dr. Carlin. He was great! I have already had my last appointment with him. I've hit a plateau and haven't moved up or down in weight for several months. I'm wondering if it has to do with the loose skin? I am about to switch it up and change up my workouts and see what happens. Also, I've been drinking coffee (no no!) and I also think that has something to do with it. It's hard being a full time college student, mother, employee, etc, etc and not need the extra energy! Things will pick up again soon for me. I'm super excited for you though and I wish you the best! Please let me know if you need anything or have any questions you think I can help with :)

Oh you poor thing....that's what I'm so nervous about!!! I was hoping those Protein drinks kept you full but I guess not, huh? I'll still have to prepare meals for my husband & kids....I really don't know how I'm going to do that!

Which Protein Drinks are you having? I bought a couple of packages of Muscle Milk in preparation & put them aside, especially since it will be tough to spend extra money from our grocery budget on Protein drinks or whatever I need to drink. So each paycheck, I buy a couple things & put aside. I opened one container of the vanilla flavored Muscle Milk to taste it & while it's okay, it's just super super sweet! I only took a sip so not sure I can drink the entire 11 oz container. The next week, I found a "Lite" version of Muscle Milk in coffee Flavor (hot dang!!!), so I bought 2 of those. I've never had a Protein Drink so not sure which one I'll like.

Good luck to you Cameron69! I hope everything goes well for you!

I used Isopure, it was the only one I found that wasn't too sweet for me. They never kept me "full" either, but that's because it's liquid. Your stomach is designed to pass liquid through and not hold it because the "mushing it up" job is all done, so the stomach passes it through for the rest of digestion. Keep drinking your Water in between shakes. It also helped me to have sugar free popcicles and chicken or beef broth. That way with flavor, it made me feel like I was having something with "more" lol.

I'm so glad to hear that you like Dr. Carlin. My surgery date is 3/26 with Dr. Carlin and I'm getting so nervous. I started the liquid diet and I can't stand the Protein drinks. I'm starving! Hopefully it will get better.

It will! Dr. Carlin was awesome too! I hated the Protein shakes too. I drank them a lot before the surgery, and couldn't stand them afterwards, so I mainly had broth or Soup and took Protein Shots, which were horrible too, but I got my Protein in and didn't have to drink the shakes. I was lucky though, I had no problems with small amounts of solids after 1 week out. So adjusting after surgery was easy for me. I still stuck to liquids and soft foods as much as I could, but I'm a texture person and it drove me nuts just eating Soup. Now, I make my own beef Jerky (that way I control the sodium and other junk) and eat string cheese. They are my safe "go to's" that way I always have something with me that I can eat. They are protein packed and portable. :)

Be careful with Protein Shots some have collagen in them which inhibits weight loss. I liked soy Proteins vanilla that way I could change the flavor with extracts. My fav extracts were the coconut, mint, rum, orange. Just to name a few..

Be careful with Protein shots some have collagen in them which inhibits weight loss. I liked soy Proteins vanilla that way I could change the flavor with extracts. My fav extracts were the coconut, mint, rum, orange. Just to name a few..

I took them in and had them checked out with Dr. Carlin to make sure I was good to go. I haven't used them in a while though.

Well, I was assigned Dr. Carlin & went for my first meeting/consultation with him yesterday & while he impressed me & I felt really happy that he was going to be my doctor, at the moment, I can't get past seeing the absolutely FILTHY exam room I was in! I was so disgusted, I fired off an email to the program director of the Henry Ford hospital near my home, where I have been completing all my required steps for surgery & the email I sent to her, was passed around to everyone with authority at the clinic while I was there. Before long, as I passed by the room I had been in that was so disgusting, I saw a housekeeping cart outside the door so phone calls were made! I'm glad for that because no one should visit a clinic/hospital & see the near golf ball size dust bunnies & other dirty/disgusting things. I just couldn't sit there & say nothing. Even as soon as Dr. Carlin walked in, the first thing I mentioned was how appalled I was at how dirty the room was & he looked around, apologized & quickly shot off an email & then got up & said "lets move to a different room...this room is awful!" The next room was better but everytime I close my eyes, I still see room 6 in my head! I also had one nurse that was so rude & mean that my husband was surprised I didn't ask her if her Mother hadn't taught her any manners. Sadly while I do have a surgery date set, I'm actually looking into a different hospital program.