Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Everyones Telling Me Not To Go To Mexico, That Its Too Dangerous!

Lots of people say Tijuana is too dangerous, can someone help me with this !!!! anyone else been to Dr almanza in tijuana!

Hi!

I just got back from surgery with Dr. Rodriguez in Juarez, MX (this is supposed to be the scariest/deadliest place in all Mexico due to the drug cartel war) and everything was better than awesome. We even went walking around at night the first night we were there. My husband walked to the mall and to eat at various restaurants while we were there.

I have never heard of anything bad happening to any of the WLS patients. I get so aggravated hearing people say that Mexico is dangerous!! Yes, if you are going there to do things you shouldnt be doing, it could be dangerous but that can happen in any state or country in this world. Those of us that are going for WLS and to come home do just fine. The Mexican people were very, very nice and accommodating and couldnt do enough to make sure that both me and my husband were happy.

If someone is telling you that THEY PERSONALLY KNOW a WLS patient that was hurt or killed while getting WLS surgery, I would have concern but would still check out all their references. If they are making a general statement about Mexico, tell them to go to any city in the US and they will find areas that are not so safe too.

Do what is right for you AFTER you have researched, researched, researched! The decision to have this surgery is not something to take lightly and being informed is the best way to keep yourself safe.

Good luck!!! :smile1:

p.s.- check out the forum for Mexico Self Pay Patients and type in Almanza, Kelly, or Garcia in the search box. You will find lots of info there too.

Simply put, Tijuana is dangerous. But so is New Orleans, LA and Baltimore, MD.

I didn't go to Dr. Almanza, but I did go to Tijuana for my surgery. The area in which my hospital was located was considered to be in an upper class and safe area.

If you are using a coordinator's service, the drivers and the coordinators are aware of upheavals and conscious of how to approach different situations.

I live near Detroit. If I go where I'm not supposed to, and I have no business going, yes, it is dangerous. Mexico is the same way. I'm headed to Tijuana in March for surgery with Dr. Rodriguez and I have no qualms. Like anything, just stay in the touristy areas and at the hospital and hotel and you'll be fine. Ive gotten alot of flack about MX myself, but upon researching things, it sounds like I'm likely to recieve better care there, and be safer, than I was at a Detroit hospital not so long ago. Sooo... take it with a grain of salt. How much do these people really know, when they tell you these things? Are they reacting over something they read in sensationalist news coverage?

The Dr's in Tijuana and most other places in MX drive you everywhere you go. I just wouldn't suggest going off by yourself anywhere, because you wouldn't know the most dangerous areas. But I felt completely safe and I saw no signs whatsoever of violence. I did see a run down area driving to the other hospital and hotel, but if I went to a lot of downtown areas, even here in Alabama, I would find rough areas too.

But if you are talking about your friends, family, and co-workers telling you not to go, then yes, I am sure it sounds like the craziest thing in the world. But there is a huge Medical Tourism business and they WANT to keep us safe, they want our money. So yes, be careful if you go, but thousands and thousands of people go there every yr for WLS and other medical and dental care and do just fine.

:)

I didn't had my surgery in Mexico but all I hear about Dr Almanza and Dr Alvarez is great things. I haven't hear people having problems going over there.

Everything will be just fine… Good luck!!

Education is the key. Most people just repeat what they hear the media say and we all know how reliable that is. The fact is there are about 17 violent crimes per 100,000 people in Tijuana. This is less, a lot less than many of our major cities here in the states. Remember, there are several million people in Tijuana. There are good and bad areas to go in, just like here in the states. I get so tired hearing about drug cartels. Guess what we call our drug cartels here in the states? We call them gangs, guess how they get their money, DRUGS! They shoot each other just like they do here. I have tried to attach the 2010 crime stats for our major U.S. cities but having issues. PM me with your email and I can send them to you. You will be just fine going to Tijuana as long as you are not doing something you should not be doing.

I'd like to know what makes them think Tijuana is dangerous?? I found it to be quite safe and relaxing. I was there less than 3 weeks ago.

I was there on Feb 4th. I had better care there than ever here in the States. Also, I would recommend finding a coordinator that is located IN MEXICO, if you are that concerned. Like others have said before me when using a coordinator you don't have to deal with the fear for someone is carrying you through . I would of felt the same way if I did not have someone to walk me through. PM me and I will share the details and my personal experience with my coordinator.

I was there on Feb 4th. I had better care there than ever here in the States. Also, I would recommend finding a coordinator that is located IN Mexico, if you are that concerned. Like others have said before me when using a coordinator you don't have to deal with the fear for someone is carrying you through . I would of felt the same way if I did not have someone to walk me through. PM me and I will share the details and my personal experience with my coordinator.

I had a lovely coordinator here in the US that totally surprised me and flew in and was there for my surgery! :)