Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here And New To Sleeve Surgery

I literally had my sleeve surgery a week ago (February 6th)! I had trouble in hospital since my blood pressure varies in extremes and then I had a reaction to the morphine that night after surgery. I was suppose to be in hospital a couple nights due to my problems, but after I felt I was not getting any help in hospital after surgery (literally was being ignored when I paged a nurse for help) I checked out and came home, literally walking out of the hospital on my own with not a soul offering to help me to the car. I plan to send a long letter to the hospital about the horrible treatment I received after surgery...and the letter will also be sent to my Dr. and everyone else involved since they use this hospital. The surgery went fine. Everything up to that point was great! It was just like; since it was a bariatric patient the nurses felt they did not have to check on me or anything. My husband was the only one who helped me with anything while in the hospital. When my Dr. assistant came to check on me, I was extremely sick then, she paged a nurse for pain meds. for me and they never came.

Maybe I should start at the beginning:

After surgery I was finally wheeled into my room, In my room they brought in a lunch tray with jellos and juices and started putting ice in my mouth...I told them I was not suppose to have anything after surgery until the next day, they ignored me. Later on that night (My surgery was in the evening and we are only talking a few hours), a nurse woke me up and made me take all of meds...(and I am on numerous medications for other health problems) with ice Water. I told her I was not suppose to do that either, She insisted it was a doctors orders. I found out a day later that it was NOT doctors orders and I was right. But I took the pills and got real sick again. My husband was the only one who helped me through it. When I had the reaction to the morphine, I asked for a different pain reliever. I was told the doctor never gave a back-up...I ask them to find a back-up and they would not. The pain was bad, since I had a total of 6 incissions since they had to repair hernias also and my intestinal track was damaged. When I would ask for nursing assistance, I was told they would contact someone...no one ever came. I ask a second time about 20 minutes later and was jumped on by the lady who answers the calls informing me the nurse was too busy with other patients. I had not been rude or complaining, and I had not been summoning nurses continually or anything, but I was made to feel as if I was not important and therefore needed no help at all. The next morning a nurse came in to let me know she was on the floor. She was so hoarse that she could barely talk and was coughing and sneezing. I ask her if she was OK...she said she caught the crude from her son but still was told to come into work. I was floored! Needless to say she hardly ever stuck her head in my room either, which I was glad due to her illness. My surgeon never came to visit me, instead a doctor I had never met did and checked my incissions quickly and left. When the Dr. associate came to see me, she was upset by what she found and ordered the nurses to help me and give me pain meds and change my IV, etc (no nurse ever showed up), but she informed me that because of the problems I am having I should stay a second night in hospital. At this point I said NO, check me out. A different nurse came and let me sign the paperwork to check out and said someone would come to wheel me out of the hospital. I waited, no one came. I called the nurses station, no one came. I knew my new meds would have to be filled, and it was already close to 9:00PM, so I walked out of the hospital so I could get me meds filled and get home. I walked right by the nurses station and they saw me and not one person tried to help me or stop me. Sadly, this hospital has a great reputation for care, so I have to assume they are prejudiced about people who had bariatric surgery since nothing else makes sense to me.

Please forgive the on and on, but this is the first time I have had a chance to vent at all about this...I guess once I got started, I could not stop...

I have not had my first follow-up with my Dr. yet or my dietitian...but my hubby took 2 weeks off work and he has been the sweetest, best nurse anyone has ever had. I finally slept all night at home and the next day was able to start drinking some...it took a couple days before I could add Protein and keep it down, but now I am on full diet schedule and I am getting stronger everyday, I sure hope it continues! I went out for the first time yesterday with my hubby to the grocery store and that felt good. I had a concern about one of my stitches oozing several days after the surgery. I paged my Dr. over the weekend, but no one ever called back. But it looks fine today, so I am not worried.

I was tickled to find this support group online, as It is easier for me to commune with others online than go out and meet in a group. Thank you all for your time and reading my "whines" and complaints list. I promise to try to have cheerier post in the future!

Debbi in North Carolina

OH forgot my stats: I weighed 239 lbs at 5 ft 6 before surgery, but I have diabetes and other health factors also. I have already lost over 10 pounds as of date, and my sugar levels are real good so far. Blood pressure still not predictable yet though. My goal and hope is to get to 135 pounds. Since I am disabled also with a spinal injury and disc disease, exercise with have to consist of slow walking when possible and Water exercises, but I plan to do as much as possible to gain some of my movement back. Despite all of this, I think I am an outgoing and active person who is overall cheerful and has a bright outlook, so I am hoping this will help me get through this to a better, healthier lifestyle. I am actually very excited about this diet plan and what it could mean for me in a few months to a few years.

Praying for everyone on here I have read that is having serious side-effects.

Wow! Debbie, You've had quite a time! I see that you are in North Carolina. Is that where you had your surgery? I advise printing out your post and forwarding it to the doctor and to the hospital. They should know that patients are being mistreated this way!

Welcome to the loser's bench, even if you did get a rocky start! Stick around here and we'll all help as much as we can! Again, I'm SO sorry you had a bad experience with the hospital! ((Hugs))

Thank you Lissa! Sending HUGS right back at ya! yep...had the surgery in Raleigh NC...I'd say more, but really hate to put a business down by name unless I have too, but it was suppose to be a top notch hospital, but now I have to wonder.

Wow Debbie ... I think you should post the name of the bariatric physician and hospital. Sounds like you've come out on the other side, but so sorry that happened to you.

CC

Thank you Lissa! Sending HUGS right back at ya! yep...had the surgery in Raleigh NC...I'd say more, but really hate to put a business down by name unless I have too, but it was suppose to be a top notch hospital, but now I have to wonder.

WOW! I am in NC, too. :welcome:

I am curious which surgical group you went through as my experience was really wonderful. But I definitely respect your decision not to post it.

I'm glad you are doing better and hope that the rest of your recovery goes very smoothly.

Wow, sorry to hear your story and dealings with the nursing staff as well as your doctor. If not now, maybe in the future you should look into reporting the incident, I believe there are also places you can post anonymously. It is good to hear you pulled through after dealing with all that and succeeding. Welcome, and look forward to updates.

How tragic.

I'm in nursing school now, and I see nurses that don't attend as well as they should, but definitely better than what you had. I'm so sorry.

Glad to hear that you are doing better now. Please give your surgeon an ear full.

So sorry about your experience. I had surgery in Raliegh too on the 25th of January. I was fighting to have it at Rex but I couldn't for various reasons so I did wonder if it was there. Any way I wish you the very best. Welcome!

Thank you all for your great replies! As I stated I feel that Rex and Duke Raleigh all have great reps (I never want to discourage anyone from this surgery)...but I have to hope that I was an isolated innocent. I do plan to give my surgeon an earful though, as well as the hospital survey I just got in the mail!

HUGS! to all!

I would certainly be filling out that survey. Maybe it was a blessing I couldn't have it Rex. I was nervous because mine was at a very small hospital. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Had my first weigh-in...it has been almost 2 weeks since surgery (Surgery evening of Feb 6th). I have lost 11 pounds THUS FAR...8 pounds of fat, 2 pounds Water, and 1 pound muscle mass. I am on a good schedule on my Protein and liquids now.

The hospital called me and apologized for all of the problems I had when I was in there. Claimed they let go one of the "people" responsible. I felt sorta bad someone lost their job, but they definitely was not doing their job when i was there.

Anyway, so far all is good, except for this awful itching at the incision areas. Driving me nutty! LOL Thanks everyone for your feedback before, this is a good group!

WOW! I am in NC, too. welcome.gif

I am curious which surgical group you went through as my experience was really wonderful. But I definitely respect your decision not to post it.

I'm glad you are doing better and hope that the rest of your recovery goes very smoothly.

hello MzPecanbrown, wow thats awesome you lost so much weight. I had vertical sleeve surgery on july 16th in california. I moved recently to raleigh , nc. I have lost 30 lbs since surgery. it is stalled for now. I dont see any weight loss. Also i am worried about what kind of workout i should be doing. I was wondering if you could give me info about weight loss management centers for weight loss surgery patients that would specifically know how to handle patients like me.

Thank you in advance

Wow guys! I did not realize how long it has been since I updated my stats...

All is well here! I have lost about 55 pounds so far (and my goal is 100 pounds so I am tickled pink!) but I am sorta at the "stall" also. Not sure why, my diet is the same, but my small business that I run is much busier during the months of July and August, so I am not on a regular exercise program at the moment and I think it is that reason and the stress from the job...(even if it is a job I absolutely love)...is the reason I am also stalled on my weight loss...(plus still having trouble balancing a meal)

My follow-ups with DR's have been great and all is well that way... dietitian says I am slightly dehydrated so I hope to increase my liquids...but still hard to get all the Protein and liquids required into my system in one day...but it is now on a much better schedule since I have documented everything on spreadsheets.

I am also curious if anyone knows of a good program in the Raleigh/Wake Forest area to get into for a moderate exercise program for weight loss surgery patients...that info would be good to have!

Thanks again everyone for letting me post, vent and brag!!!

hello MzPecanbrown, wow thats awesome you lost so much weight. I had vertical sleeve surgery on july 16th in california. I moved recently to raleigh , nc. I have lost 30 lbs since surgery. it is stalled for now. I dont see any weight loss. Also i am worried about what kind of workout i should be doing. I was wondering if you could give me info about weight loss management centers for weight loss surgery patients that would specifically know how to handle patients like me.

Thank you in advance

Hey there! I live an hour and a half from Raleigh but had my surgery in Durham. I am not as familiar with weight loss centers in the area, however, my office offers a monthly support group. I went through the Duke Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery clinic in Durham. The support group schedule for Durham and Raleigh is on the Duke website. I know it's free to patients, but I would call and see if there is a fee for others - 1-866-637-0711. Let me know if I can help you with anything else. Your weight loss so far is awesome!

My Dr is at Rex in Raleigh near Wake and they have a nice wellness center there I saw when I went to talk to the nutritionist. I think you can join reasonably. They also have support groups there once a month for bariatric patients.