Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone -

I remember in my pre-op research that ibuprophen was a strict no-no with Gastric Bypass. However, I don't remember what the rules are for us sleeved folks. I know that I had to be off it for 10 days prior to surgery, but now that I'm 2 weeks post-op, can I take it?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tylenol liquid is what my doc recommends. I wouldn't take ibuprofen unless you call your doc first and ask about it. It might be okay, but better safe than sorry. I took the tylenol liquid for some post-op headaches, but I'm not big on any pain meds, so only did that a couple of times.

Don't to Ibuprofen. It's much harsher on your stomach lining than acetaminophen (tylenol). Definitely don't take it at only 2 weeks post op!

I'd wait a few months to start ibuprofen. Perhaps you should ask your doctor about when it's safe to start it.

Ibuprofin and other NSAIDs are allowable after VSG surgery. It's the main reason why I was approved for the procedure by my insurance; I have early onset osteoarthritis and take Mobic for joint pain.

They gave it to me in the hospital but didn't want me taking it once I got home. This confused me, so when I talked to the PA at my first follow up appointment, she told me they only do that because you're under supervision anyway, so if something were to happen they could deal with it. Also, a couple of days of taking it wouldn't have a big negative impact, and it would help with my pain level.

They gave me the go ahead to resume taking it at 4 weeks. I noticed a big decrease in my overall pain once I was able to start again -- there was no way I could go back to work until that point.

The way the surgeon put it, once you hit 6 weeks, your stomach is pretty much healed.

Definitely check with your surgeon. I've been on long-term NSAID treatment so my primary doc and other members of my regular care team know what to watch for. Someone who is taking OTC NSAIDs may not have the same supervision.

I would call your doctor to see what he/she recommends. Mine told me no NSAIDs, period because it is so harsh on your stomach. I was told that I could not take them a few years ago because of a different condition, so I'm used to managing pain without them. But if you feel that you may need them, I'd get instructions from my doc.

Agree with others that you should check with your Dr. I belong to Kaiser Fremont Bariatric Program. We are allowed NSADs but if we take them we must also take Omeprazole. Ability to NSADs was one of my decided factors for VSG. I'm in my 50s and have a lot of joint issues, which have been diagnosed post-op as Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Lynda

Kaiser told us no NSAIDS ever, However, I realize that the options class for surgery was geared for the RnY procedure so I would call your surgeon's office to clear. I wouldn't want to get any ulcer's from anything. I'm sticking to tylenol caps. They work great for me. ;)

I wouldn't want to get any ulcer's from anything.

Same here! I don't want anymore of my stomach removed. I'm struggling to get in what I need now, though I'm doing better. :nod:

Uxgrl & Isereno, I also have a form of arthritis. Humira and Simponi injections work WONDERFUL!!!! Way better than any pill I have tried before. If you are not afraid of injections and have insurance (each injection cost a few thousand dollars), it's worth looking into it and talking to your doctors about it.

FYI: Both have easy self injectable syringes, but I can't do it, so I go to my primary doctor every month. Totally worth it! Humira is twice a month but the injection hurt like hell (to me), so I switched to once a month Simponi. No pain. I even wrote an email to my old rheumatologist (I moved) to thank her for changing my life! :focus:

My doctor said absolutely no ibuprofen or aspirin. he said ibuprofen will possibly cause your sleeve to bleed. he said Aleve is the worst. It actually has a warning on the label saying it could cause your stomach to bleed.

Uh oh. I have slipped on this a couple of times. I get back spasms and tension headaches that Tylenol has just proven to be no match for. Hopefully I have not done any major damage to my sleeve...

Uh oh. I have slipped on this a couple of times. I get back spasms and tension headaches that Tylenol has just proven to be no match for. Hopefully I have not done any major damage to my sleeve...

I found an extra strength Tylenol Arthritus which is a little stronger than regular Tylenol that is supposed to be good for backaches and headaches too, you might try that. I know I always used to think Tylenol was worth a hill of Beans, but now I have changed my mind! I used to get alot of headaches every night, but since my surgery they are gone!

We are allowed NSAIDs, but I would always check with your doctor. it's stil the same stomach just smaller. Didn't your doctor send you home with something for pain?