Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was Anyone Healthy But Just Fat?

I have been "thinking" about WLS for about 1 year. Last year I did a pretty restrictive diet and inbetween ate normally. I lost close to 40lbs without a whole lot of effort (gained the holiday 10, but that is almost officially off too). I am 35 and don't want to wait until I am 45.

I went into my surgical consult last month convinced to get the band. However, they seemed real keen on the VSG and saying without saying not so much on the band. So I have been reading both.

I am fat, but I have no health problems related to weight. My blood pressure is good (105-117/65-80 on average). My cholesterol is good, triglycerides are good, my HDL is good. My blood sugar is excellent and no diabetes in the family.

I am able to stick to a diet for awhile, but when I go off, I go off and then have big motivation problems getting back on. I do best on a high Protein, low carb diet so this sounds like a good match. My tendency is to be very black and white in my eating patterns. If I am not on a diet, then I am being "bad" and if I am at a restaraunt, then I order what I want to eat. I am trying again to reroute my mind into middle ground that yes I can have Cookies, but that doesn't mean because I had Cookies, I need to eat chips to round out the badness. I can just have the cookies and still be good. So I am *working* hard on changing my thought patterns.

I was normal sized up until my early 20s when I was first put on birth control pills. I had a slight weight gain then. But then they changed my pills and I ballooned up. Combine rapid weight gain with a "damn I'm gross, eff it I'm eating Burger King morning, noon, and night!" attitude after I gained about 60lbs in about 6 months or so, I continued to pack on the pounds year after year. From my lowest weight of 118, my old "set point" of 125, to at my highest recorded of 252. OMG.

So basically, there are many elements of this surgery that I like. I like that after time you can still eat all of your favorite stuff, just a few bites instead of a full serving or two. I like that there is no foreign body to have to work around or ports to get infected or the nearly 100% chance the band will have to come out within the next 5-10 years.

What I don't like is the lack of long term data. What happens to me in 10, 20, 30 years? Will long term nutritional deficiences cause me problems? Is this surgery going to shorten my life? Because it can. There is absolutely no guarantee being fat will since we have some chunkers in my family who have lived to ripe old ages (although I would need to lose and keep off about another 30-40lbs in order to be where they were).

I also don't like that it is permanant and that if anything goes wrong with the staple line, or my stomach explodes, I am stuck in some sort of bypass situation which is something I DO NOT want. In fact that is my biggest fear. The other part of the permanent thing is the lack of control. I can't get my stomach back but a band can be removed. So I am still in the driver's seat.

I am also a bit scared of the rapid weight loss. I'd prefer to lose a steady 5-10lbs/month than huge 30lbs drops that I am seeing on the boards. Crazy, I know! But I am weird :tongue2:

The VBG was popular and people who were a few years out raved about it. But it is now considered a very dangerous surgery by the AMA according to the wiki. Liver and kidney failure were common with that one. Bypass patients seem to end up with heart attacks. I know it may sound dramatic but it is very real to me trying to make this decision.

Many of the people posting on this board had serious weight related health issues and mobility issues, so the choice is much easier to make, at least in my mind. Hands down, if I had diabetes, could barely walk, and/or was on a million pills a day to keep me alive, I would do it ini a heartbeat.

But was anyone healthy but fat and made this choice? What brought you to the decision?

Mememememe! I never lost 30lbs in one month. I'm only losing 5-8lbs a month now. There is some longer term data and all of it looks very promising. The surgery is not new. They've been doing it for decades as the first part of the duodenal switch and for cancer and ulcer patients. I never had mobility issues either. I've always been active. Nothing has changed in my life except that I eat less and look great.

Well, I have to say that I laughed really hard when I read your post! I think my favorite was about the stomach exploding. As for me, I'm still pre-sleeve and am steadily working towards a surgery date (hopefully in the next two months). As for my stats I'm 29, 5'5", 274 and I also have a problem with Portion Control and stress eating. I also adore Peanut Butter and chocolate. As for health, underneath the chub I'm actually in good shape although my doc says that I'll be a great candidate for diabetes in a few years if I don't drop the weight. I run 2 miles several times a week, lift weights, do yoga, and go hiking on a regular basis. For me, getting the sleeve will impose restrictions that will force me to have a better lifestyle. Bye bye, emotional and absent minded eating, hello weight loss! I'm serious enough about it that I'm willing to say sayonara to peanut butter/chocolate and am delving into exactly why I stress eat. A most uncomfortable self reflection, I can assure you!

As for what brought me to this decision (besides my sincere desire NOT to become diabetic) was that even though I'm active, there are still so many things that I can't do because I'm fat. Also, there is nothing as humiliating as having to get off a ride because they can't close the safety bar. I decided that I was not going to live a life where my weight kept me from having the fun and adventure that I deserve. That I do not want to be on my death bed and thinking, "If only..." instead of "Damn, sexy lady, you rocked it hard and lived a crazy life! Those memoirs are gonna sell bigtime!"

You should stick around for a while and read a lot on this website. You will see a huge range in starting weight, health, average monthly losses etc. I doubt you will see a 30 pound loss in a month if you start at 252. I started at 234 and I might lose less than 10 pounds this month (3rd month).

In regards to my health, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few months before surgery (that is what helped me get approved by my insurance), but other than that I was as healthy as an obese person could be. However, I knew that was temporary. It was only a matter of time.

Lastly, there are two more things that stood out. Research more about the band because according to many here that were banded before being sleeved, the band can be removed, but the damage left behind can be terrible. The other thing is, can you keep off 30-40 pounds forever? I couldn't. That would have put me under 200 pounds like I am now, but as hard as I tried, I was never able to keep it off.

Research a lot, only you know if this is right for you. Best wishes!

Yeah, the ride thing really bites........ I feel more embarrassed for my kiddos than I do for me. I'm a big guy and still will be after I lose weight. That being said I should not be so big that I can't ride a dang roller coaster.

Your post sounds like everything I was saying out loud prior to surgery -- we sound very alike. I did test positive for sleep apnea when they were trying to figure out my headaches, but never had to go to a CPAP or any medication for it. And I did/do have PCOS, which I only knew about because two of the cysts got larger than 3cm and caused a crap load of pain one month. A lot of women have it and never know because it is usually asymptomatic or just seems like aggrivated PMS. Other than that, blood pressure was perfect, glucose was amazing and cholesterol was in check (they wanted it lower but never mentioned medication). Many of my doctors were actually perplexed when my tests came back and showed that I was "healthy" like they expected from my outside appearance that I'd have a laundry list of issues.

Also like you, I was fit and less than 130lbs for my adult life until age 28. Life happened, and as such I put on weight and let my habits go out the door. I ate what I liked and barely got in exercise. My highest was 270lbs after my knee surgery (I was docile and eating out of depression). I usually maintained around 260-265lbs most of the time. That was eating salads, fish, lean meats and no soda, no chips, only occasional sweet stuff. My habits in restaurants were not great because everything out is prepared worse than doing your own at home. My nemesis: CARBS. I could plow through two bowls of Pasta after a long day at work. I didn't think much of it because Breakfast was usually black coffee and lunch would be a 6" Subway or maybe a salad at a diner, if not skipping lunch all together. I don't like most fast food places, except Taco Bell and even that came in waves.

The first doctor to mention WLS to me was about 2 years ago. I was so offended I never went back. Then my other doctors mentioned it. I would always explain that I didn't go home and eat a box of donuts and a liter of soda every day, it's not for me!! But eventually, I was life passing me by. People I care about doing things I used to love to do. Got tired to stares and little kids asking me, "Why don't you exercise? Isn't that why you're fat?" and just not fitting in. I would diet here and there, get 20lbs off, then fall off a little and it would all come back. The motivation just started spiraling and it seemed to get harder and harder every time. Not to mention, I'd get into kicks of going to the gym and end up injuring myself every time. I might be due another knee surgery soon because the mere weight bearing down on my knees when I do walk, exercise is just killing the cartilege. Eventually, it felt hopeless.

I'm also 35 years old, worried about the long-term effects. But I figured it has to be better than struggling like this for another 5-10 years, or even the rest of my life. I knew if I did lose it I would always be afraid of it coming back on. Then I heard a few stories of people having strokes at my age, usually weight related. I already had headaches and PCOS, which increase my chances of stroke. That scared the pee out of me.

Whatever you decide to do, it has to feel right. Talk to multiple doctors, do all the research you can, go to support groups and talk to people who've had it done. I had mine 12 days ago and I feel great. Yes, I have moments where I wonder, "What the hell did I do?!?!?" but I know that's just a short-term emotion to making such a huge change. Even good changes in the right direction can be scary as hell.

I was 380 when I first started looking into the surgery, and thank God I did not have any health issues. However, considering the fact that my family tree is rampant with diabetes, high blood pressure, and other health issues due to obesity I decided not to wait any longer for a life change. Even though I did not have any health issues then, I was also very worried about my knees, my 5' 3'' frame was not meant to carry 380 lbs!

In the past I have lost up to 100 lbs doing diets, when I am on a diet I am very good at them, the problem comes when I leave them. When I wasn't on a diet I was very bad with my eating habits, I would plan to start a diet on Monday and would binge on Sunday all day, and that magical Monday would not come. What I love about this sleeve is that this is a complete lifestyle change, forever! From now on its healthy eating and a healthy dose of exercise every day; That's the key for a healthy life, and my sleeve is a tool that will help me live that healthy life we all crave.

Research well all your options before deciding on the sleeve, because as you pointed out, it is permanent.

I'm much older than you (56) and have been obese for about 30 years. I too managed to get by with no health problems (One doctor said "obesity in itself is not a health problem). Then in 1 year I developed SEVERE sleep apnea, pre-diabetic neurophy (I lost feeling in my feet and hands) which is irreversible. And then I had some chest pains and they told me that I was too big to even do the necessary tests. I was shocked I was to go from just being overweight to being "deadly" overweight. I had no idea the different problems I was starting to encounter.

I too had lost 100lbs at different times, only to gain it back, plus more. So before I agreed to do the sleeve, I gave WW one more shot. I did OK for a couple of months and then began losing motivation. So I realized I would never do this on my own. For me it was a last resort. Now that I have had my surgery (3 months ago) I wish I had done it years ago!!

Many people say it's a cop-out or you are taking the easy way out. For me this has been both the easiest and the hardest program I have ever done. I want to make sure that I balance my nutrition the best I can with the minimal calories that I can comfortably eat. While there may not be the research that has been done on the bypass yet, I think the advantages of the sleeve over the bypass or the band make it worth it in the long run.

I am sorry if I was confusing, I am no longer 252. I am down to 219 and should be back to my pre-holiday pork out weight soon. I think I will probably get pretty close to onederland before I even see the surgeon again. I am short, 4'11" so my BMI is still over 40 right now.

I do feel if I could get to and stay at about 175, I will hopefully avoid future health problems because that is about the level of chub some of the long lived family members were at. Which is why I just get so wigged out because its like, if I could just get over this hump, I could be chill. On the other hand, I am so frustrated with lose then get off track, gain back, get back on track, yo-yo.

Then again, I could do the same thing with the sleeve and milkshakes. And I don't even like milkshakes.

I just wish there was a half-way sleeve. Like instead of 85% of your stomach and 2-4oz, maybe like a 70% and 6-8 oz. Like enough to get rid of the hunger pangs but some extra spare stomach in case something not so good happens.

I also don't want to get dumping syndrome or have to spit. What is that about?

Argh. Thanks for your help though. I do need to hear from people who weren't facing bigtime health problems.

Do you feel your surgery was cosmetic in nature? I find myself debating this because my main reasons for WLS are so that I can fit in and not be the fat person all the time. I have never had the ride issue but OMG that would suck. I'd like for men to actually find me attractive instead of being all like "big girls like to do stuff." Uhm no, not stuff with you mr. attitude buddy. Also, I am getting to the point in my career where being obese is going to hold me back from promotions because of the automatic assumptions people make about fat people and also the "image" thing.

Agh. I have diarrhea of the fingers...

I have been "thinking" about WLS for about 1 year. Last year I did a pretty restrictive diet and inbetween ate normally. I lost close to 40lbs without a whole lot of effort (gained the holiday 10, but that is almost officially off too). I am 35 and don't want to wait until I am 45.

I went into my surgical consult last month convinced to get the band. However, they seemed real keen on the VSG and saying without saying not so much on the band. So I have been reading both.

I am fat, but I have no health problems related to weight. My blood pressure is good (105-117/65-80 on average). My cholesterol is good, triglycerides are good, my HDL is good. My blood sugar is excellent and no diabetes in the family.

I am able to stick to a diet for awhile, but when I go off, I go off and then have big motivation problems getting back on. I do best on a high Protein, low carb diet so this sounds like a good match. My tendency is to be very black and white in my eating patterns. If I am not on a diet, then I am being "bad" and if I am at a restaraunt, then I order what I want to eat. I am trying again to reroute my mind into middle ground that yes I can have Cookies, but that doesn't mean because I had Cookies, I need to eat chips to round out the badness. I can just have the cookies and still be good. So I am *working* hard on changing my thought patterns.

I was normal sized up until my early 20s when I was first put on birth control pills. I had a slight weight gain then. But then they changed my pills and I ballooned up. Combine rapid weight gain with a "damn I'm gross, eff it I'm eating Burger King morning, noon, and night!" attitude after I gained about 60lbs in about 6 months or so, I continued to pack on the pounds year after year. From my lowest weight of 118, my old "set point" of 125, to at my highest recorded of 252. OMG.

So basically, there are many elements of this surgery that I like. I like that after time you can still eat all of your favorite stuff, just a few bites instead of a full serving or two. I like that there is no foreign body to have to work around or ports to get infected or the nearly 100% chance the band will have to come out within the next 5-10 years.

What I don't like is the lack of long term data. What happens to me in 10, 20, 30 years? Will long term nutritional deficiences cause me problems? Is this surgery going to shorten my life? Because it can. There is absolutely no guarantee being fat will since we have some chunkers in my family who have lived to ripe old ages (although I would need to lose and keep off about another 30-40lbs in order to be where they were).

I also don't like that it is permanant and that if anything goes wrong with the staple line, or my stomach explodes, I am stuck in some sort of bypass situation which is something I DO NOT want. In fact that is my biggest fear. The other part of the permanent thing is the lack of control. I can't get my stomach back but a band can be removed. So I am still in the driver's seat.

I am also a bit scared of the rapid weight loss. I'd prefer to lose a steady 5-10lbs/month than huge 30lbs drops that I am seeing on the boards. Crazy, I know! But I am weird :tongue2:

The VBG was popular and people who were a few years out raved about it. But it is now considered a very dangerous surgery by the AMA according to the wiki. Liver and kidney failure were common with that one. Bypass patients seem to end up with heart attacks. I know it may sound dramatic but it is very real to me trying to make this decision.

Many of the people posting on this board had serious weight related health issues and mobility issues, so the choice is much easier to make, at least in my mind. Hands down, if I had diabetes, could barely walk, and/or was on a million pills a day to keep me alive, I would do it ini a heartbeat.

But was anyone healthy but fat and made this choice? What brought you to the decision?

My impression is that you deceive yourself on a number of levels. All of us fat people do it. The most basic truth I ever told myself was "There is no way I will lose 100 pounds and keep it off without this surgery." I have lost 85 since July 2011. Your anecdotal comments about people in your family who are fat but still alive are a rationalization for not taking the step you know you need to take. And if you think you are "in the driver's seat" with your eating being your master, you need to think again. I know this sounds harsh, for which I apologize, but it is no service or help to you to encourage you to continue in self decpetion. You cannot lose the weight as much and as permanently as you should, or you would have done so. And as we ALL know, health is only a portion of our pain. Do you really like being treated by society like a person a little lower than a criminal? If you can honestly tell yourself that none of the fat hatred you are surrounded with every day hurts you, then by all means, yo-yo for the rest of your life. As for myself, I am overjoyed to have been sleeved, and HATED being fat every second (though really like myself in general) And I do NOT believe for a minute you'd be happy at 175 for the rest of your life. There are NO guarantees in this life, but the previous commenter, talking about this surgery having been done for decades for other medical reasons, is absolutely correct. The first few weeks post surg are not particularly easy, but I urge you to go with the sleeve if you can do it. And at the very LEAST, take a long cold look at what you are telling yourself about your problem with food. All the best...

I am 42 and I'm currently at 325...ish. I do not have any health problems to speak of. None. Ok, my knee kinda hurts after a 12 hour drive to Dallas to see the surgeon...other than that- no. I got tired of my diet attempts doing nothing more than ultimately packing on an extra 20 lbs. when all was said and done. Lose 20, gain 40. Done. Sick of it. I want to spend time with my family doing fun things that I can't do right now because of this ridiculous weight. I wanted control of my body again!

What confirmed it for me was something I read on this forum that was a quote from a well known t.v. doc- He said that if you reach age 50 and you are 100 lbs or more overweight, you have the same mortality rate as someone with a solid cancer. That really sewed it up for me. I want to be here for my husband and my three boys.

I was not diagnosed with any co-morbidities prior to WLS, but I knew if I didn't get they weight off that my health would have gone down hill. It was inevitable.

Now as far as the band, I would not recommend that to my worst enemy, so I am glad they they directed you to VSG (I am hoping to revise to it myself.) I do however think RNY and DS are also good WLS optioins. Anything BUT the band!

My impression is that you deceive yourself on a number of levels. All of us fat people do it. The most basic truth I ever told myself was "There is no way I will lose 100 pounds and keep it off without this surgery." I have lost 85 since July 2011. Your anecdotal comments about people in your family who are fat but still alive are a rationalization for not taking the step you know you need to take. And if you think you are "in the driver's seat" with your eating being your master, you need to think again. I know this sounds harsh, for which I apologize, but it is no service or help to you to encourage you to continue in self decpetion. You cannot lose the weight as much and as permanently as you should, or you would have done so. And as we ALL know, health is only a portion of our pain. Do you really like being treated by society like a person a little lower than a criminal? If you can honestly tell yourself that none of the fat hatred you are surrounded with every day hurts you, then by all means, yo-yo for the rest of your life. As for myself, I am overjoyed to have been sleeved, and HATED being fat every second (though really like myself in general) And I do NOT believe for a minute you'd be happy at 175 for the rest of your life. There are NO guarantees in this life, but the previous commenter, talking about this surgery having been done for decades for other medical reasons, is absolutely correct. The first few weeks post surg are not particularly easy, but I urge you to go with the sleeve if you can do it. And at the very LEAST, take a long cold look at what you are telling yourself about your problem with food. All the best...

I would I have to disagree with you on family issues. Family history is genetic history, I am built like the people in my family who have lived a long time without problems except those related to age. Also, I don't think you know me well enough to tell me that I would not be happy at 175lbs. I was happy at 190lbs. The 200 mark is the point where it tips for me. I know I won't lose 100lbs without the surgery. I very much get that. The question I am debating is whether losing 100lbs worth dying for? Is it worth a lifetime of complications? Is it worth shortening my lifespan? I don't want to be 20 years out and drop dead of a heart attack or have liver/renal failure like what has happened in other WLS. THAT is what is scary.

My remark about being in the driver's seat is in regards to the band. With the band it is possible to have it removed. I can't unremove my stomach.

In all actuality, my most miserable parts of my life were when I was my thinnest. I was normal sized but thought I was fat and my life would begin if only I could lose those last 10lbs. Nevermind the fact that the fronts of my legs were rock hard from biking (I am muscular and have always weighed more than I look). No, I was more worried about the fat on the sides. You know, the stuff that gives us females our shapes. I have some clothes I have kept from that period of my life. I recently found them in a move. They looked like little kids clothes to me. And I thought I was fat. Go figure. So I do not live with the mythology that thin will magically cure all that ails me, which is something that I think a lot of people who have struggled with obesity are suseptible to buying into. This is why I struggle with this decision. Because I know it can just be a sliding scale of never being happy with oneself. This trip is about self-acceptance, size be damned.

I pretty much had mentioned in a previous post that my reason for wanting to lose weight is precisely the social issues. I am not a depressed or sad fat person. I don't have a thin person wanting to come out so I can start my real life sort of deal. Would it be great to be 100lbs lighter? Hell yeah. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be. Getting to 252 scared the **** out of me because that could get to 300 and then I would be sick and unable to move. Ultimately though, it is a social/cosmetic motivation. Actually, scratch that. It is a normalcy one. I just want to be normal. And I don't want to trade one abnormal for another. I'm just trying to come to grips with social/cosmetic being OK reasons to alter my phisiology and how abnormal or normal will life be afterwards.

My main purpose here is to hear from other people in similar situations who made the decision to do it or not to do it. What was the tipping point. Because some days, I know I want it. Then other days, I read something about it and am like NO way. I don't need convincing or browbeating, just honest experiences. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of long term studies for sleeves or proto-sleeves past 10 years or more, or gastrectomy for cancer please link it! It is muchly appreciated! I am trying to devour as much information as possible, including videos. For some reason they are reassuring to me.

Formerly fluffy, thanks for mentioning the band. It seems so many people are just ditching it after a short period of time. I was very much ready to go get one and then got steered into this direction. This is why I am so confused and have so many questions. I will try and read your blog and group. Thanks!

Everyone's comments have been extremely helpful so far. Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences.

Yes I've always been healthy no co-morbidities just FAT. No high blood pressure, excellent cholesterol etc. I came to this decision at the last minute simply because I did not want the band stuck in me. I did not realize I had other choices until my insurance forced me to go to a center of excellence.