Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti-Depressants During This Process?

So I've been on Wellbutrin XL since the start of my last pregnancy, about 2 years ago. My OB prescribed it because I was having extreme anxiety and stress, and she didn't want it to effect the baby. I started seeing a therapist in addition to that, just to keep my head screwed on straight =) I think, actually I KNOW, that my body has extreme sensitivity to hormone fluctuations. I basically lose it. Anxiety, depression, stress, etc are common for me during hormone changes. I've had similar experiences with birth control pills, and a prior pregnancy.

Anyway, my OB recommended I stay on it until I was done nursing--just until I had normal hormone levels in my body again. Well, my son just weaned himself, earlier than I expected, and I'd like to get off the meds. My surgery is tentatively scheduled for April 2nd. I've contacted a few Psychiatrists to give me a consultation regarding meds through this journey, but it's been a real pain trying to get one on the phone for an appt.

So, I guess I'm just curious about people who've been on anti-depressants through this journey? The thought occurred to me that I might want to stay on them, due to the surge of hormones released with rapid weightloss, but in a perfect world, I'd like to not be on any meds going into this.

Also, my surgeon suggested giving me Phentermine for the last month before surgery, to help with getting a couple pounds off prior to surgery. This would be super helpful now that I'm not nursing anymore, but I'm also worried about drug interactions with the wellbutrin.

Has anyone out there dealt with any of this?

Thanks in advance =)

I was on 2 before I had my surgery and have continued them through my surgery. I was able to cut them in half so they were easier to digest. I do not think that the WellbutrinXl can be cut as it is a time release. I would definitely check with your doctor. I have since been taken off one of them since my surgery Dec 11. The biggest problem with some meds it the size of the pills. And as some can not be cut apart that is where the problem lies. After my surgery I took all of my meds with a teaspoon of applesauce and the doctor suggested that or you can also use Jello as it helps to open the sleeve a bit so that the pill enters easier.

wow, I didn't even think about the whole "swallowing the pill" part of the show! luckily, the wellbutrin is super small...so maybe it'll be ok...

I have been on 2 antidepressants for years-one a capsule (Effexor) and one a tablet (Wellbutrin). My surgeon said to open the capsule and mix it with applesauce at the beginning (this pill is huge!) he said to cut the tablet in half with a pill cutter (I actually cut them into 4ths just to be safe). My Wellbutrin is large so it must be a different strength than yours.

I only needed to do this for a few days then I was able to take them whole. I haven't had any problems with them since. In fact pills make up most of my morning meal! Not counting my Vitamins and Calcium I take 7 pills in the morning. By the time I take a drink of Water with each pill I'm stuffed!

I have not suffered the emotional rollarcoaster so many talk about. It may have a lot to do with the antidepressants. Whatever you do, don't just stop taking them-the effects of sudden stopping or even missing more than one pill are not pleasant.

My doctor and surgeon both recommended staying on my antidepressants at least during the first year after surgery due to the hormone fluctuation during rapid weight loss. At first I had thought of getting off them since I believed being overweight led to my depression. However, I'm super glad I stayed on them during these past 11 months. The hormones can get a little crazy through this journey! As I approach my one year mark, I'm thinking I will stay on them at least until I reach my goal weight and then decide whether to stay on them or not.

Also at first I had to cut the Wellbutrin in fourths, then halves. This was only for 2-3 weeks and then I was fine to take them whole.

sunnyd- my gut tells me that if it was recommended I stay on them through nursing, I should definitely stay on them through this journey. I'll take anything that helps with the hormone flux aftermath, and if staying on wellbutrin will help, then I will probably leave well enough alone =) thanks for sharing, and I'm glad the meds helped you

I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for a while now. My surgeon gave me a new prescription for this first month after surgery for a lower dosage wellbutrin that can be cut and crushed. I just take three pills a day rather than the one previously. I have been crushing them and mixing them in a very tiny spoonful of applesauce. I did not take it the first week after surgery and I could already start to tell a huge difference in my mood shifting downward. Since then I have taken it daily as prescribed and my mood is already much better.

I also had phentermine a couple of months prior to surgery. I took it along with the wellbutrin and did not have any problems.

Just had my 2 week post op appt today. I told the doctor how depress I was since they surgery and they prescribed me paxil. I hope it helps.