Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Month Before Surgery, What To Eat?

I am about a month pre-op and I'd like to lose a bit more weight before surgery. This is terrible but I bought a lot of crap food when I went shopping yesterday. Not a lot of junk food but dinner stuff that I know is not the best choices. I figure that I'll have my little food funeral for the next few days and then start doing some good.

My doctor doesn't really do a true pre-op diet. I think 48 hrs. before surgery I will be on a liquid diet but that is it. I think I want to use this month to start making better choices. Should I start doing a lot of Protein now? Should I start experimenting with different Protein shakes? Isopure appeals to me so I'd like to try that as well.

I'm also going to ask my NUT about this but I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing a few weeks before surgery?

hi tana

my dr. "unfortunately" didn't say you had to do a pre-op weight loss.

I wish he had so i could have been more accountable - I think i went on the world wide biggest funerals of all time. I even gained weight but i think others have too.

your attitude is great. You want to start out right, after a teeny bit of a funeral, but then work your Buns off and start your new life.

DOS was 12/1511 - got onto that train and have held on, and keeping pushing forward.

welcome aboard

kathy

For Goodness Sake!!!! EAT NOW WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!! FIND AS MUCH JUNK/COMFORT food AS YOU CAN AND SINK INTO THEM!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!

I applaud you for making the choice to live better rather than relying on the magic sleeve. I would suggest that you start trying different Protein liquids AND foods. I prefer to get my Protein from food because I couldn't find a Protein Drink that I could tolerate longer than two weeks. Take the time to practice recipes so that you will be familiar with a wide variety of protein rich foods.

Thank you both. I'm really trying to have a good attitude about the food part of this process. Funny thing is that lately food hasn't been as appealing or as enjoyable to me. Great timing and I hope that continues. I've NEVER not enjoyed food like now, so weird. But I'll take advantage of it and move forward. I'm okay with Protein shakes as I have used them many times in my past weight loss efforts. But I will also find Protein rich foods I like as well.

The countdown is on and I want to see what I can do in these next few weeks!

Incorporate shakes now so you get used to them being part of your diet. They should be for a long time. I'm a year and a half out and still have one daily because my restriction is still so much that it's hard to eat all of the Protein I need.

I'd start scaling back your portions and I'd even start recording my food to get in the habit.

But I wouldn't go crazy and jump into things as if you have the sleeve already. You don't. The reality is that any food you're eating right now can also be eaten post op. There should not be a single "Oh, I'll never eat this again" food, unless you're unlucky enough to develop lactose intolerance. And even that fades a bit as time goes on, so foods I had to avoid for a year or so are now okay in small portions.

You should be trying to learn to eat things in moderation and eating in the proper order (protein, veggies, carbs/starches) but the rest is going to be forced on you after surgery, anyway. Very few people even WANT to eat post op!

My opinion has always been that pre-op is a better time to work on head issues than stomach issues. Record your eating habits, your triggers, your feelings when you eat. Sounds silly, but all of us have to do this post op. I think a lot of us fool ourselves into thinking that our weight issues are purely medical, or that our only issue is that we eat bad foods occasionally. A number of us are overeaters, emotional eaters, bingers, lifelong dieters - a lot of us have underlying head issues that helped us get fat in the first place. Start thinking about these things now, because I promise that if you want to be a totally healthy person post op, you're going to be thinking about it and coming to terms with things eventually!

So no, don't go overboard on the food funeral. That said, I honestly feel that this is something that we all do to some extent!

Good luck!

~Cheri

Thank you so much Cheri, love your advice. I am going to do exactly what you said and I feel I will be better prepared that way. Especially with the mental part!

I am about a month pre-op and I'd like to lose a bit more weight before surgery. This is terrible but I bought a lot of crap food when I went shopping yesterday. Not a lot of junk food but dinner stuff that I know is not the best choices. I figure that I'll have my little food funeral for the next few days and then start doing some good.

My doctor doesn't really do a true pre-op diet. I think 48 hrs. before surgery I will be on a liquid diet but that is it. I think I want to use this month to start making better choices. Should I start doing a lot of Protein now? Should I start experimenting with different Protein shakes? Isopure appeals to me so I'd like to try that as well.

I'm also going to ask my NUT about this but I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing a few weeks before surgery?

Eventhough I was delayed in my surgery I was asked to go how a high protein diet for the one month count down and then a two day clear liquid plus Protein Shakes. So I hope it works for you. It was a protien for Breakfast a fruit for snack a protien for lunch a full diner with the choices provided and a protien shake for bedtime snack. Plenty of Water and a glass of fresh lemonaide everyday.

Start getting used to better eating habits by eliminating fatty fried foods. Get on the Atkins diet with no breads, Pasta, or potatoes. My NUT also stated no peas or fruit either. Drink 72 oz of Water per day to get used to doing that. Listen to your body at eat only until you're full. Eat 3 meals a day with 2 Snacks that are high Protein Bars (I like Power Crunch Protein bars - taste like wafer Cookies, yum!) eat lots of veggies except for potatoes and peas, which are high in carbs (sugars). You will get a head start on your weight loss and also get more energy from not being weighed down by carbs.

I'm a month out too. I started out doing my food duneral after I paid my deposit for the surgery, but now I'm starting to gradually ease into my pre-op diet early. I have to do it for 2 weeks before, and so I figure a gradual reduction of the "bad foods" will make it less jarring. I lost 9 lbs last week. It makes me laugh alittle because people keep asking me why, if i'm losing this quickly on this diet, can't I just keep it up and not have surgery?? I've done it before... and it all came back on, plus more, with lightening speed. I can't wait to start my new life, and this is just the start, for both of us!

A week ago today I had all my pre-op testing done. Got the results today and now they will file with my insurance company.

During my appointment a week ago I met with the Nutritionalist and I am on a High Protein, Low Carb plan. Plus Protein Shakes. I love the program at my hospital because they really are attentive and ease you into the idea of having surgery. Like using a small plate, fork. Not drinking an hour to an hour and a half after eating. No fruits ,sweets, starches. Total carbs a day is 30 grams. 64 oz. of Fluid a day. They need to be no or low calories, no carbonation, and no caffeine. They also have me taking a Multi-Vitamin and 1000 IU of Vitamin D3. (which I am already taking!) Take small bites and chew, chew and then chew some more, taking approx 30 minutes to eat. This has been the most difficult part for me because I do EVERYTHING fast!! I have always eaten very fast and I guzzle water...I do suggest getting on Protein Drink asap so you can find something you like. They also suggested I can put food extracts in my drinks, like vanilla, almond, peppermint (great in chocolate flavor drink) and I can also add 1-2 Tablespoons of Cool Whip and even a Tablespoon of Peanut Butter in...the more variety you have in the Protein Drinks, the more likely you will drink them...Best Wishes for your journey. I have found so much help and support here so far!! Blessings~Melanie:)

I am a month and two days out from my surgery. I am trying to eat better, have started to incorporate Protein shakes in, etc. etc. I like the advice about starting to work more on the head...I think that will be one of my big struggles after I have the surgery, not that I am hungry but that I still feel like I should or want to eat.

Having said that, I had shortbread Cookies for dinner.....not good. Really looking forward to the next stage in the journey.