Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Exercise Post Op?

• Four or more times per week
    • Three times per week
    • Twice per week
    • Once per week
    • I dont exercise at this time

Mel34, There is nothing wrong with you. I didn't start working out with my trainer again till I was 6 weeks out and we started slow. I was pooped till about 4 months out. I did walk but it was hard at first. My walking group usually walks 2-3 miles and the first couple of times I walked with them I had to turn back 1/2 way.

Just start slow with walking and add on as you feel better. Everyone heals at a different pace.

Lynda

thanks, Lynda!!! I really want to get up and walk everyday, but i'm just really exhausted. I hope I'm not the only one feeling like this or that this is happening to. I know i have to change my life in every aspect so that the sleeve will work but it's just hard sometimes. thanks for the encouragment.

:)

perhaps try walking on your lunch at work? Its a start! I know its hard to get started, but its worth it - it can actually cut the exhaustion! :)

I just really started a regular exercise plan. I hope to go at least 5 times a week and work out 45 minutes each time...fingers crossed :)

I started with light exercise 2 weeks post-op - couple of laps in the pool, 20-min walk, things like that. I remember going for a walk 5 days post-op and feeling absolutely BEAT after 2 blocks. I started more challenging exercise - bootcamp, etc - about 2 months post-op. That's a bit earlier than the surgeons suggest, but I was active before my operation and felt fine, so I went ahead with it.

These days, I do Crossfit 3 times a week on average, and I also try to stay active on a day-to-day basis - we walk rather than drive when we go out to eat, etc.

I have to admit that i have been sleeve for 3 weeks now and i haven't gotten the energy to even start walking much less excersise. Is there something wrong with me?

Not to mention that the weather has been crazy ugly outside and i don't have any work out equipment at home.

i do get up at work and walk around every two hours, but i don't think that's what the doctor was talking about when he said i needed to work out. :( I feel so ashamed.

Also, i drive and hour to work and then an hour back so by the time i get home it's about 6 or 7 in the evening and i'm completely exhausted.

I feel so guilty!!! Anyone have any advice?

I didn't exercise on my first 8 weeks. I simply strolled for a block or two every other day, for 10 minutes or so. More for relaxation & to get some sun. I have always had low energy and that is all I wanted to do.

On my 9th week I finally started feeling "lighter" and I took one of the bikes in my garage to get a tune up. I have been riding it leisurely for about 15 minutes on most days. I am on my 10th week now. I had not ridden a bike in 30 years and I am 44. In April, after I come back from a trip, I plan to join a gym. That will be on my 4th month.

I think it is great to start exercising early on, but I don't do guilt. It doesn't help at all. I do what feels right to ME. I am progressing at a pace I feel comfortable with. I hope this helps.

hi all

walking,treadmill, doing all these weigjhts etc. I don't understand - if you can do all these, (which i can't) how come you aren't able to maintain a better weigt. I hope that doesn't sound awful but....

wish i could do the above.

kathy

what i meant to say as delicately as possible - it sounded like many people started exercising way back before they got the sleeve.

What i don't understand is when i was heavier, i could never exercise, and if i did excercise i would have been in better shape, and even been "smaller" did i say that right? kathy

I always told my wife that I would hate to see what size I would have been if I didn't exercise. (pre-surgery) I think in my head, exercise gave me an excuse to eat more. I don't know ...

It's all in my past, now and my sleeve doesn't let me make those kind of excuses anymore. THANK GOODNESS!

Before my sleeve I did four Water aerobics classes a week, all I could do with my many physical issues. I have nerve damage in my back and knees.

About five weeks post sleeve I had a surge in energy. I had been walking a few blocks every day and it got longer and longer until now my husband and I walk our dog 3 miles a day. Then I started adding pool classes as I got more and more addicted to exercise ;-P I came out of the pool to try Zumba and now do six zumba classes a week!

Weekly in order of when I do them in the day

Monday Zumba followed by 2 /12 hours of Water aerobics 3 mile walk

Tuesday 3 mile walk Zumba one hour water aerobics

Wednesday 2 1/2 hours of water arobics 3 mile walk Zumba

Thursday 3 mile walk ZUmba followed by water class

Friday 2 1/2 hours water arobics 3 mile walk ZUmba

Saturday Zumba 3 mile walk

Sunday (kinda my day of rest lol) 3 mile walk

I have become an exercise junkie, I admit it. In ZUmba I am very careful of my back and knees and do not do some of the moves but always sweat and have a great time. I have a crush on Zumba!

I have to admit that i have been sleeve for 3 weeks now and i haven't gotten the energy to even start walking much less excersise. Is there something wrong with me?

Not to mention that the weather has been crazy ugly outside and i don't have any work out equipment at home.

i do get up at work and walk around every two hours, but i don't think that's what the doctor was talking about when he said i needed to work out. :( I feel so ashamed.

Also, i drive and hour to work and then an hour back so by the time i get home it's about 6 or 7 in the evening and i'm completely exhausted.

I feel so guilty!!! Anyone have any advice?

I totally feel you on this one. I had my surgery on 1/23/12 and still not exercise. I have an 1hour and 15minute commute each way, so I get home around 7 too. It's really really hard to exercise after such a long day. so you're not alone. do what you can to keep moving, every bit helps. parking far from you office, using stairs..... what you can do

I think like others have posted is that different people do different things for their exercise. Some people have long commutes to work, might be a single parent with demanding schedules, etc... So, not everyone has the time or the money to go to a gym. Personally, I own a small farm with horses, work in the city for my "day job", teach college classes PT and I am in school pursuing my MBA. So, needless to say, my days are booked pretty tight- no time for the gym really. Now, with me being single and taking care of my farm on my own, I am up doing chores outside before and after work, am hauling 50# sacks of feed out to the barn every week, moving 50 to 60# bales of hay every week, etc, etc... In the summer time, I am weed eating, mowing and doing a number of other demanding projects. It doesn't really give me the cardio I need, and so I have made the committment to start using a fitness room my work has and try to get there 3x a week when my schedule permits. Personally, I absolutely HATE stationary exercise (which includes jogging/ running)- find it about as exciting as watching paint dry. But, I'm 30# away from my final goal and things have really slowed down and I have decided to use the fitness room to help me reach that goal. Once summer hits, I doubt I will be doing the stationary exercise thing because I will be getting my exercise in plenty of other ways. I'm just a real outdoors person. I really haven't done the fitness room up until the past couple of weeks.

I have an elliptical trainer in my living room. I use it for a half an hour per day most days. Sometimes, I go for a 2-1/2 mile walk with my husband, and some days I do both. We like to walk rather than drive when we can, and we like to hike while on trips.

After surgery, I had a lot of shoulder gas pain, so I was on the elliptical and walking (both slowly, with doctor's consent) the day I came home from the hospital.

I also did these things, although more walking than elliptical, before surgery. If not I may have had more health problems.