Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Wish Someone Had Told Me....

It's amazing how different everbody's experience is.

For me:

• Did have to do a 14 day pre-surgery liquid diet. (Lost 12 lbs)
  • No NG tube.
  • No drain tube.
  • No leak test. At least not after the surgery.
  • No blood thinner injections.
  • Did have a catheter, which I didn't expect. Took it out immediately, though.
  • Pain contolled by Morphine drip, which I pressed about 7 times in 2 days.
  • Walking about 2 hours after waking from surgery.
  • Difficult and painful to get in and out of hospital bed, but did it unassisted after the first time.
  • HUGE bottle of liquid Acetominophin/Hydrocodone taken when needed at home controlled any discomfort.
  • Rolling off the couch was the only time I really experienced any "pain".
  • Sneezing hurt quite a bit.
  • Went back to work wearing a 20 lb gun belt at 11 days with zero pain. (Would not recommend this to anyone and would not do it again! I was exhausted!)

Anyway, it is obvious that everyone is going to have a different experience based on their body type and surgical procedures used. This blog topic is great and I wish I had been reading this forum prior to surgery in order to ask my surgeon a billion-and-one questions. I went in knowing next to nothing and was apparently lucky not to have experienced what so many say they have. I would NOT have been happy if I woke up with tubes coming out of every part of my body and not have been told beforehand! Good luck to everyone!

Anyway, it is obvious that everyone is going to have a different experience based on their body type and surgical procedures used. This blog topic is great and I wish I had been reading this forum prior to surgery in order to ask my surgeon a billion-and-one questions. I went in knowing next to nothing and was apparently lucky not to have experienced what so many say they have. I would NOT have been happy if I woke up with tubes coming out of every part of my body and not have been told beforehand! Good luck to everyone!

Funny that you say that, I agree! My husband and I are doing this somewhat together (two month's difference in surgery dates). My husband went in for all of his appointments, flew through, no questions. (He's a police officer too.) I had been reading this site for about two weeks prior to my round of appointments. I had a page and a half of questions. My husband came to my appointments with me. He couldn't believe all of the information and questions I had.

It IS such a helpful resource! Thanks all!

I can't believe some people are even remotely trying to compare this surgery with a C-section! In a CS they cut through your MUSCLE WALL. Which is a lot of the post-op pain and discomfort.

When you have arthroscopic surgery it's nothing close or even comparable to that.... :wacko:

My surgeon told me he cut my stomach muscle during the surgery and had to stitch it back together and that's where most of my pain was coming from. So, in MY experience, the comparison is applicable, although the C-section still hurt worse.

Some people who have had C-sections just want a pain comparison, because they know/remember how that felt. It's just a little reassurance and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Prolly won't happen for you...I didn't have nausea and they gave me a huuuge bottle of liquid painkiller to bring home and I never needed to take any of it. Also, keep in mind, some of us responding are old geezers and some are younger so...each person different.

I actually was advised on these boards to stop reading the board 2 weeks b4 surgery because I was freaking out, too.

This may be really good advice because I'm freaking myself out too and I'm about 2 weeks out. But then I'll have the feeling, "what if I missed something??" and i'll be right back on here LOL!

I wish I would have known:

1. Not to buy so many popcicles and Jello before surgery. I still have popsicles and jello leftover...8 months later.
  2. That the weight would not come off evenly all over my body. I have held weight or have sagging on my inner thighs, backs of arms, and tummy. So, even though I'm down alot of weight, certain clothes won't fit me because of my big thighs, arms, etc.
  3. That it would be so difficult just after surgery to go from a lying down position to a sitting position or from sitting to standing. If I'd had a pull bar over my bed, it would've been alot easier.
  4. That I really should have told everyone. I kept it a secret.
  5. Not to buy so many clothes at each size....you don't stay in one size for very long.

That said....I'd do it all over again!

I didn't wake up with a tube down my throat, I did have a JP drain in for five days.

I didn't have gas pain at all, but my incisions and my little tummy hurt a bit -- also had a couple of days of dry heaves post-op. I would not classify this surgery as painful really, compared to other pains I have experienced.

I didn't have pre-op or post-op liquids-only, I live in a place where the emphasis is getting you back onto normal foods asap.

I did have to inject myself with blood thinners for four weeks post-op (was a breeze), and also took the anti-gallstone (massive) pills for six months.

I wasn't all that worn out or tired post-op for very long (doctor/nut claim that the 'real' food has a lot to do with this, I don't know if that's true or not though), though I was off work for five weeks (local practice, I probably could have worked sooner just fine...glad I didn't have to though!).

My hunger did NOT go away, except for seriously like a day or two (it's not acid, I'm successfully treated by PPIs ever since surgery and do not have any acid problems at all), so I've done all this while still getting hungry.

My full signal came back a month or two post-op, which was great. Since I was hungry, feeling 'full' was exactly what I needed. This is totally do-able even WITH an appetite, IMO.

ETA: I DID lose a ton of hair, it IS coming back slowly. I didn't go through ketosis or have the funny taste, hyper sense of smell, or lose my taste for any foods that I liked pre-op (ie, I still like them all now). There is almost nothing I can't eat (!). :D

I have found it to be ludicrously easy. It's been a fun journey as I've gone along, the progression of things intrigues me, and my body showing up again is fascinating. I enjoy food and eating, so that's still nice. I just can't eat loads of food at one go.

I've been eating 1000+ cals per day since about 2 months post-op and am now up to 1500+ per day. I've lost 90+ lb in the year since surgery and am just a few pounds from goal.

It's great!! If there's one thing I would say, it would be: Go for it! It's an incredible opportunity.

<3

This may be really good advice because I'm freaking myself out too and I'm about 2 weeks out. But then I'll have the feeling, "what if I missed something??" and i'll be right back on here LOL!

The only thing u can miss is your own story because no one can write that for you. Take a deep breath, remind yourself what YOUR reasons are for having the surgery and then pull the plug on the puter. You'll be back in 2 wks with your own amazing observations of what happens during your surgery. Period. And I promise.

The only thing u can miss is your own story because no one can write that for you. Take a deep breath, remind yourself what YOUR reasons are for having the surgery and then pull the plug on the puter. You'll be back in 2 wks with your own amazing observations of what happens during your surgery. Period. And I promise.

Well said. I will try to cut the cord Tuesday when I start my 2 week liquid diet, unless i REALLy need some motivation!

Just two things actually:

1. That it would be AGES before I feel comfortable lying on my sides without any support (pillow or otherwise :( ). I never sleep on my back and it is so hard to get used to sleeping on the back now.

2. That it would be SO HARD for me to swallow medicine and wash it with Water -- I hate the after-taste so I usually just gulp a half glass of water as soon as I swallow the meds, usually. Now that gulping is out of question, I go into a mild panic each morning when I take the required Iron meds (this is for two months only, thank god!!)

I have read this entire thread over the course of the last couple of days. I just joined 30 seconds and the very first thing I wanted to do was leave a comment on this thread letting everyone know how wonderful I think you all are for sharing your answers to this question. It's actually the very first question I ask anyone who I know has had the surgery! Thanks!! :wub:

I didn't wake up with a tube down my throat, I did have a JP drain in for five days.

I didn't have gas pain at all, but my incisions and my little tummy hurt a bit -- also had a couple of days of dry heaves post-op. I would not classify this surgery as painful really, compared to other pains I have experienced.

I didn't have pre-op or post-op liquids-only, I live in a place where the emphasis is getting you back onto normal foods asap.

I did have to inject myself with blood thinners for four weeks post-op (was a breeze), and also took the anti-gallstone (massive) pills for six months.

I wasn't all that worn out or tired post-op for very long (doctor/nut claim that the 'real' food has a lot to do with this, I don't know if that's true or not though), though I was off work for five weeks (local practice, I probably could have worked sooner just fine...glad I didn't have to though!).

My hunger did NOT go away, except for seriously like a day or two (it's not acid, I'm successfully treated by PPIs ever since surgery and do not have any acid problems at all), so I've done all this while still getting hungry.

My full signal came back a month or two post-op, which was great. Since I was hungry, feeling 'full' was exactly what I needed. This is totally do-able even WITH an appetite, IMO.

ETA: I DID lose a ton of hair, it IS coming back slowly. I didn't go through ketosis or have the funny taste, hyper sense of smell, or lose my taste for any foods that I liked pre-op (ie, I still like them all now). There is almost nothing I can't eat (!). :D

I have found it to be ludicrously easy. It's been a fun journey as I've gone along, the progression of things intrigues me, and my body showing up again is fascinating. I enjoy food and eating, so that's still nice. I just can't eat loads of food at one go.

I've been eating 1000+ cals per day since about 2 months post-op and am now up to 1500+ per day. I've lost 90+ lb in the year since surgery and am just a few pounds from goal.

It's great!! If there's one thing I would say, it would be: Go for it! It's an incredible opportunity.

<3

Can I ask what was the name of anti gallstone meds you were on? Im going to try to get a primary to give me a script once Im post op. Better safe than sorry!

I wish someone would have explained that I would be vomitting a lot in the hospital. As soon as I woke up after surgery, I automatically vomitted. Imagine just having 75% of your stomach cut out and vomitting! That was not fun. I believe they can give you something for it. My hospital stay was wonderful. That was the only down part about it to me.

Can I ask what was the name of anti gallstone meds you were on? Im going to try to get a primary to give me a script once Im post op. Better safe than sorry!

I live outside the US, but I think in the States it's called Acti-Gall or something similar to that.

I had my surgery on the 22nd of feb. I wish some would have warned me that I would feel like I was hit by a Mack truck when I woke up for surgery. The vomiting was intense and did not let up until two days after. The gas pains are uncomfortable! I can't wait to recover! Right now I feel like hell on wheels.

I'm so surprised to hear about all the vomitting after surgery in the hospital. My doctor was so worried I would throw up post-surgery. He promised he'd do everything in his power to keep me from vomitting. I felt so comforted to hear that from him. I never threw up either. We tried 3 types of meds before one finally relieved the nausea, but it worked great.

I'm so sorry anyone got sick after stomach surgery. I can imagine it was a special kind of hellish experience.

So I guess the lesson learned is to ask our surgeons how they will handle post-op nausea treatement.