Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shapewear (Tmi?)

Not quite sure what Forum this should go under-so i'll try here.

First off, i have never worn Shapewear (I have been a 6X for years-so wear loose clothes anyways).

So I am looking towards the future.

Here's my question/dilema. I have to lose about 250# and will need to wait to have any plastic surgery done. So lets suppose I lose most if not all of my weight. That will mean I will have A LOT of excess skin hanging around.

My question is-will shapewear really be able to handle that much excess skin? I mean it hardly seems fair that if I lose all this weight that I have to go around with my stomach hanging to my knees for a year or two until I can get plastic surgery.

I guess I should be happy just to be able to enjoy the health benefits of weight loss. But seriously, who doesn't want to also look better, and if I work this hard I want to be able to wear something besides a muumuu or stretch pants!! But how will I fit in anything if I still have so much skin hanging down??

Anybody here actually lost a significant amount of weight and had to deal with this problem?

A good firm girdle will help. I lost 70 pounds with my last pregnancy. My lower stomach deflated enough that it hang down, but with the girdle it was fine. You just have to arrange everything straight in there to make it look the best. You'll figure it out. It's not all going to fall off overnight, so you'll have some time to experiment with what you like. Wal-Mart has plenty of variety for a beginner. They sell up to a size 3x. That should be about the time you will start wanting to wear on. Happy shopping

I've lost over 100, and Shapewear DEFINATELY will help. May be easiest to try and find online if you need an extended size. But don't worry - it will help ALOT with the extra skin...

I've lost over 100lbs and have tried many types. Right now I have a corset type one from Walmart. It works great! Makes me way more confident when wearing tighter clothing. Probably will need to buy a smaller one soon.

Pro-tip:

There are some people that say wearing shape wear WHILE you lose weight helps give you less sagging skin. The theory is, as you deflate and your skin starts to sag, the weight of your hanging skin constantly pulling down is actually stretching your skin more over the course of 6 months / year, etc.. like picking up a heavy piece of dough and watching it stretch out.

I haven't found definitive proof, but the people who've tried it seem to have good results, and I'm definitely doing it. (I wear mine every day.)

Like another poster said, start with Walmart and then you can also look at Spanx. They usually have free shipping for orders over $25. I just bought some spanx that I wear for my upper thighs. You will do great!

I've lost just over 100 and so, I'm maybe just over half way... Shapewear is exercise just getting into it :blush5: Just sayin' I want to encourage you to exercise now...walking is going to pay HUGE dividends; more than you can imagine. Lift 2# weights...it ALL pays off. In November, things sort of stalled for me, but during the 3 month stall (gulp) I continued exercise (minimum of 30 mins x 6 days) plus lifting weights (average 50# x 10-15 reps, 2 set...3x week). I had MORE compliments on "weight loss" in that 3 month period than ANY OTHER period since VSG. I not only lost inches, but things really "firmed up" including skin. I have to admit that the daily (and I'm talking 10 times a day!) "You look great" compliments, really kept me going when the scale wasn't moving...

As for shapewear, I don't wear it all the time, but I have reached that tipping point where it is gonna have to become fairly routine AND at size 2x now, it's not a flippin sweat-fest to get it on!!!

P.S., I have picked up KILLER deals on shapewear at TGI Friday's in the 3x range...like $11 - $20 finds!