Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Elevated Alkaline Phosphatase, Ast & Alt Levels

Hello I just had a 2 month follow-up appointment with my NP. She stated my Alkaline phosphatase, AST and ALT levels are elevated and they want to keep an eye on it. Are there any other sleevers out there that have had this type of issue. If so would you please share your experience with me? I would appreciate it if your would.

I've had elevated ALT levels, usually from taking too much Tylenol, which bothers the liver.

Hello I just had a 2 month follow-up appointment with my NP. She stated my Alkaline phosphatase, AST and ALT levels are elevated and they want to keep an eye on it. Are there any other sleevers out there that have had this type of issue. If so would you please share your experience with me? I would appreciate it if your would.

Hey....25 year lab rat here.....exactly how elevated were they? You can message me if you don't want to post here. Alk phos, AST, and ALT are liver enzymes. They go up when your liver is pissed off. Viruses, alcohol, too much ibuprophen or aleve can cause them to go up. Tylenol (unless you are taking above 900 mg a day) usually doe NOT piss off your liver.

Your liver enzymes can go up and down 40-100 points a day. That is the reason I was asking what the values are.

Elevated enzymes can also happen with severe gall stone attacks (but that is VERY painful and you would know you are having the attack)

SEVERELY elevated enzymes can be caused by hepatitis and or other causes.

I would be happy to look at them for you.

My ALT levels are pretty much always out of the normal range. A week before surgery mine were at 180. I haven't been back to the doctor for my follow up yet. I go on the 20th for my one month. They think mine is caused by prednisone usage for hives over the last 9 years. Hopefully this surgery will help to bring them down!

Tylenol DOES "piss off your liver," per my PCP, for some people. I happen to be one of them.

Thanks for your replys. @ SuperMom I have not taken any pain medicine since I left the hospital the end of November. The only thing I've taken with any type of pain medicine is Alka Seltzer Plus Severe Sinus Congestion Allergy & Cough Medicine which I took in December.

My Alkaline Phoshatase is 280, Ast 46 and Alt 68. They were always normal before the surgery.(checked all my lab result back to 2009. The NP stated it could be stressed from the surgery. Checked online and it states it can be high due to a number things such as liver disease, bone disease, cancer and hepatitus. My PCP does not think its heptitus.

I am a non drinker and I do not have my gallbladder any more. I am just a little concerned because I have been so tired. I searched the web and it says it can be live damage, blocked bile duct, I had been contributing it to my low potassium and VitD. I am scheduled to have my labs redone this week. Hopefully everything is back to normal.

On 2/4/2012 at 4:30 PM, SuperMom said:

Hey....25 year lab rat here.....exactly how elevated were they? You can message me if you don't want to post here. Alk phos, AST, and ALT are liver enzymes. They go up when your liver is pissed off. Viruses, alcohol, too much ibuprophen or aleve can cause them to go up. Tylenol (unless you are taking above 900 mg a day) usually doe NOT piss off your liver.

Your liver enzymes can go up and down 40-100 points a day. That is the reason I was asking what the values are.

Elevated enzymes can also happen with severe gall stone attacks (but that is VERY painful and you would know you are having the attack)

SEVERELY elevated enzymes can be caused by hepatitis and or other causes.

I would be happy to look at them for you.

Hi there LabRat ☺️. I had gastric bypass surgery about 9 months ago. Had my bloods tested last week and everything was normal in terms of liver function, EXCEPT my ALP, which my physician said was only ‘mildly’ elevated and isn’t anything to be concerned about. I can’t find anything online that speaks about ‘mild’ elevations of ALP. Everything I read says ALP raised in isolation must mean osteoporosis or bone cancer and I’m quite scared. My ALP is 151 (ref range 40-130). Is this something to be concerned about?

my Vitamin D is ‘sufficient’ but it’s on the edge of sufficient and insufficient (it’s 20.9. Ref range: >20 is sufficient. 12-20 is insufficient). Is there a relationship maybe between some deficiency in Calcium absorption by the lower Vitamin D levels (my calcium levels are normal, but I know that the thyroid ensures calcium levels are normal by breaking down some calcium from kidneys, GI and bone). Could the mildly raised ALP be because of some calcium being broken down from the bone? Or am I reading too much into it and accept that 151 ALP is nothing to worry about?

On 2/1/2023 at 1:01 PM, KyleR21 said:

Hi there LabRat ☺️. I had gastric bypass surgery about 9 months ago. Had my bloods tested last week and everything was normal in terms of liver function, EXCEPT my ALP, which my physician said was only ‘mildly’ elevated and isn’t anything to be concerned about. I can’t find anything online that speaks about ‘mild’ elevations of ALP. Everything I read says ALP raised in isolation must mean osteoporosis or bone cancer and I’m quite scared. My ALP is 151 (ref range 40-130). Is this something to be concerned about?

my Vitamin D is ‘sufficient’ but it’s on the edge of sufficient and insufficient (it’s 20.9. Ref range: >20 is sufficient. 12-20 is insufficient). Is there a relationship maybe between some deficiency in Calcium absorption by the lower Vitamin D levels (my Calcium levels are normal, but I know that the thyroid ensures calcium levels are normal by breaking down some calcium from kidneys, GI and bone). Could the mildly raised ALP be because of some calcium being broken down from the bone? Or am I reading too much into it and accept that 151 ALP is nothing to worry about?

About 20 years ago, I had elevated ALP for a few years. Had all the tests. No cancer, no pregnancy, etc. Eventually, it just went down on its own. In hindsight, I wonder if it was alcohol consumption (was in my 20s) related. Never did find out anything for sure. Try not to worry too much.