Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's hard to get a straight answer on a surgical scar treatment on the web- every product seems to have some amazing reviews and some horrible ones, and surgical scars are different vs. acne scars etc.

What works for you? What hasn't worked for you?

I am 3 months out and I'm finally at a place where I don't mind wearing a bikini (I live in LA, it's almost always bikini weather here- yes, I know you hate me :)) or changing at the gym while people are around.

I work in skin care, but surgery scars are different from scars I'd treat my clients for (usually ace scars- retinol is amazing, anyone have luck with this on surgery scars?)

Mederma? Is it really work 25$ for a tube of "white onion extract" and mineral oil?

I just bought some 'Scar cream' at Walgreens. I put it on, put a band-aid over it and called it good. Next morning, repeat. I believe, and as someone who works in skin care, you would probably know better than I, the concept is to keep the skin moist and pliable while the scar tissue develops. I'm sure the Vitamin E in there does something, but I have no idea what. So, which product you use would just have different 'things' in there whilst the scar tissue develops.

Mine look pretty good, I have to say. Not even a week ago my kids were trying to locate them. After a bit, they were able to find 3 of the 5.

You can use regular Vitamin E capsules for scars. Just open them up, spread the goo on the scar and leave it alone. Works great! Mucho cheaper than all those fancy creams, too. :)

It does seem like Mederma is mostly Vitamin E. I bought some for my son when he split his forhead open on a door but I don't think it's all it's cut up to be.

I have been using bio oil since Sept/Oct but my scars are still dark and very noticable. Perhaps its because darker skin tone? Would love to hear from anyone of color about what worked for them. And if its too late to switch to something else...

I know I'm going to scar - you can see every scar I've ever had, no matter what I do. When I had a tumor removed from my breast, a plastic surgeon even closed me up and you can still see the scar like it was yesterday. I'm not afraid of my scars - I figure if they bother me, maybe I'll tattoo them later :)

My friend sits next to me at a Bible study. Over the last 6 weeks she has been recovering from a knee surgery. She often wears skirts. I was amazed every week on how her scar has healed. I just asked her last week what she puts on it . She told me she took an Aloe plant and cut out the inside of a "leaf" , at nite she put some directly on the scar and covers it with a bandage. It was truly amazing . I could not believe it! That is what I am going to use.

I'm pretty sure a lot of it depends on how one heals in general. I do use the Bio Oil and I am happy. I had a breast reduction less than two years ago, which has substantial scar lines, and between Bio Oil and a very rich Vitamin E cream, some of those scars are almost completely gone.

I had read that the Mederma here in the U.S. is mostly an onion extract, while the "effective" Mederma, which is a different formula sold overseas, is a completely different product.

Bio Oil is sold at costco now, and there is a store-brand knockoff at Walgreen's.

I am a strong believer in Vitamin E oil. I am severely accident prone and often fall, cut, trip or harm myself in some other way. I have tried many things to get rid of scars and what I have found that works best is Vitamin E oil right away. As soon as I get my cuts I slather on the oil every day and night and bandage it up. It feels gross and sticky at first, but I have gotten used to it.

I cut my face up pretty badly about 3 years ago, right by my eye, I used the oil and reapplied it every three - four hours and you can barely see the scar from the 2 inch gash!

Thanks! I think I am going to pick up some Vitamin E oil from Trader Joes today.

I also ordered Kelakote on the recommendation of a plastic surgeon I know. I will let everyone know if I'm impressed or not.