Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have the most amazing friend. She was so excited and open and told everyone about her decision to get her sleeve. It was because of her courage and strength that I have decided to embark on my own journey. I will be meeting with the surgeon in a few weeks and I am so excited, ready to embark on the road to a healthier me. I even found out my insurance does cover it!!! That said the one thing that I have struggled with is deciding if I was going to tell everyone or not. My husband is very supportive and so is my awesome friend, but after a lot of thought I have decided I am not telling anyone, with the exception of some friends and anyone I meet or know that is struggling with obesity themselves.

My MIL is a nurse and she will not be supportive and I know she will say I need to do it on my own as she did 30 years ago. When I mentioned my friend having surgery all she said was "well...you have to be careful so many of them become alcoholics, or shopping addicts, I see them all the time at work" . Mind you I wasn't saying I was thinking about it or anything. She also talks about everything and everyone, not in a harmful way at all, she is not mean spirited, but is always talking about various peoples health and medical issues ect.

After discussing this with my husband I have decided to not tell my in laws or anyone in his family. This is a very personal choice and I feel I want to keep it private. I wish I too could scream it from the mountain tops like my friend, but I fear that any form of negativity will keep me from being successful.

Am I a coward??? :confused5:

No, you are NOT a coward!! It takes bravery to have the surgery. It takes bravery to make the decision to improve your life, especially when you know that family members will be negative. Keep it to yourself until the results start showing and then announce it from the mountaintops if you like!

Good luck on your journey!! :)

No, you're not a coward. I've only told a handful of people. I want to shout it from the hilltops too, but have had too many negative nancys.

Thank you Lissa! I may very well feel like shouting it from the mountaintops once I am feeling more confident. One thing that is scary is that if I do have complications and my MIL found out I didn't consult her first she would be MAAADDDDD. She is very insistent that my hubby and I tell her of any DR's or Dentists we go to. She freaking knows everyone LOL.

truth be told I have read that 95% of people who lose weight with diet and exercise alone end up gaining it all back. I have a strong family history of diabetes, and I am trying to give myself the best shot at not getting it. My mother has it so bad she had to have a leg amputated. It scares me knowing if I don't lose this weight the problems I most likely will face.

DO WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU , BECAUSE IF THE SHOE WAS ON THE OTHER FOOT (MIL) AND ANY OTHER, THEY WOULD DO WHAT'S BEST FOR THEM. IF YOU THINK YOUR REALLY GOING THRU WITH THE SURGERY, MAYBE YOU SHOULD START CHECKING INTO NUTRITIONAL CLASSES (IF REQUIRED BY YOUR INS) SO YOU CAN GET A JUMP START ON YOUR JOURNEY..I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK!

I am unsure what all the requirements will be for my insurance. The surgeon I chose is opening a new office close to my work in mid February so I am scheduling my appointment after. I have a physical (blood work ect, and my first diabetes test ) with my DR. in the next couple of weeks too and having oral surgery (wisdom teeth) as well. I was told basically a BMI of 40 or higher is approved and below that you have to have other medical problems. I know that as long as I am given the green light, I am going for it!!

I have type 2 diabetes and am doing the surgery to get that under control among other things. I am on insulin now and it scares me to death what I will be facing if I don't loose weight, I have tried everything out there and feel this is my last chance. I go to my info seminar the first of February and can't wait to get started. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Good luck to you!

thank you welittle! This will be an amazing journey for both of us :)

Congrats!!! You are making a great decision to have the sleeve. It works!!! I understand your decision to not tell certain people. There were some people in my life I told that were very judgemental before I had my surgery and it hurts. Of course, now that I have lost the weight, they have a different opinion. LOL I will caution you, you will get LOTS of questions about how you are losing weight. You need to plan in advance an answer. I tell everyone that asks that I had the sleeve. It is just easier for me. I kid you not, I would say that just about daily, someone makes a comment or asks me about how I lost the weight. Just be prepared with an answer. Good luck! How nice that you have a friend to go through this with.

My thoughts were that i am on a dr and nut supervised diet that is low carb high Protein and im working out. I will be honest with most of my friends and my family. as far as coworkers i will have to play it by ear. I am still new and will need to feel people out.

Always do what you feel is best for YOU and YOUR journey. No one has to fill your shoes but yourself. That said, if in the future you decided to start being more open about your surgery, then reserve the right to always change your mind.

Having an open mind you will soon find out is the best way to get through these next several months.

All the best to you!!! You're going to do just fine, but like I mentioned - concentrate on yourself for right now. Everyone else is going to have to take the back seat for awhile.

I'm in a similar situation as Sleeveme81 and I've decided to only include a couple of people. I find that people are negative sometimes, because they are uninformed. But my concern is when I finally get the surgery. What do you tell people -- especially when you're losing the weight fast?? I hate to lie but I really don't want to hear all the negatives! Thanks!

Same thing here. I am having the surgery on Feb 6th. My fiance and mom are very supportive. My father, however is not. He lives about 10 hours away from me. I talk to him everyday, but I haven't mention the sleeve to him. I know how he feels about any kind of surgery. I feel bad that I'm not telling him, but i just don't want to hear the negative opinions. I know why I'm doing this, and that's all that matters. I know once I start losing, he will notice something. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to say to him yet.

Good luck with your journey. Everything will work out for the best. Just remember "who" you're doing this for :)