Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welcome!

Sign in to follow this  

I created this group to be a private place where those of us who have chosen Dr. Almanza can support one another and share tips and experiences. I am scheduled for my VSG on March 27 and I'm happy to finally be doing this for myself :smile1: Welcome!

I've set the group so that only approved members can read or post on the forum, by the way. I chose Dr. Almanza because he seems to have many successful, happy patients and because, paying for this surgery out of my own pocket, the clinic is what I can afford. But it seems that whenever Dr. Almanza is mentioned, people want to jump in with criticisms of the clinic because it's small and not a real hospital. I want a safe place where those who are ACTUALLY his patients can discuss the pros and cons of their experiences honestly and opening without a lot of extra noise and controversy :)

I appreciate the invite. I hope everyone writes down their personnel journal in their adventure with gastric sleeve surgery with Dr Almanza, the guest house, hotels, and what you did while down there as far as shopping and etc. Good luck to everyone!

(null)

I appreciate the invite. I hope everyone writes down their personnel journal in their adventure with gastric sleeve surgery with Dr Almanza, the guest house, hotels, and what you did while down there as far as shopping and etc. Good luck to everyone!

(null)

Great forum.

I just read circa post about the surgery and I hung on every word.

Well I am 7 days post op today! I had a great experience. The clinic is awesome and very very clean! My mom was even impressed. We arrived there and had our blood work done then went up and talked to the administrator who is awesome. Waited to have my EKG done then waited to get sleeved. I was the last one out of three of us cause I had the largest BMI. So around 4 pm I went in. Spent the first night in the clinic hooked up to the IV and trying to sleep. The gas is the hardest thing about that night and the next night. The next morning we were taken to the recovery house which is also very clean. I was very uncomfortable with all the gas pain so I didnt stay put too long but thats good cause the more you move round the more gas you pass. Keep that in mind. I walked the street up and down while still attached to th e IV. You need to get through 2 bags of IV before they will let you take it off the second day. I was the first one to get it out Ya for me! So I went shopping with some people although I spent most of the time in the van lol.,You are weak. Then went back to the recovery house and went to bed. I asked for a sleeping pill and the nurse said it would knock me out for about 4 hours. I took it at 9 pm and He had to wake me up at 7:30 lol. It was the best sleep ever. So We had to drink the purple crap and then head for the xray department and get those done. You have to drink some more stuff.... just plug your nose and gulp it down. Bring a great tasing gum with you so you can put it in your mouth as soon as your done. It doesnt taste good but the gum helps. Then you go back to the clinic so the doc can see your xrays and then head back to the recovery house. I opted to leave that day and go back to SanDiago. I went shopping for a bit then had another great sleep in the hotel. We stayed at the Hampton inn. THe beds are comfortable like you woudn't believe but there is a train that goes by so they provide ear plugs.. truthfully it didnt bother me at all. then the next day I flew home to Canada. Make sure you get wheelchair assistance especially when you have long ways to walk caues I would never have made it in my condition. Now I am still gassy so I am working on this and I am having problems getting Water down ( but I never liked water anyway) so Popcicles are my thing... Vitamin water is good too. So I see my doctor today and I am hoping to get some of my stiches out. So I will let you know how it goes from there. so since my 2 week preop diet til today I have lost 20 pounds!

Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing your experience! :) Did you spend the night in San Diego the third night after your surgery? I'm tempted to do that too. I'm also going to be flying back to Canada after the surgery. Was there a lot of walking at the airport in San Diego? I'm a bit nervous because I occasionally tend to have low blood pressure and faintness and I'm going to be traveling alone...

Loved reading your account and I'm so excited for you!

Well I am 7 days post op today! I had a great experience. The clinic is awesome and very very clean! My mom was even impressed. We arrived there and had our blood work done then went up and talked to the administrator who is awesome. Waited to have my EKG done then waited to get sleeved. I was the last one out of three of us cause I had the largest BMI. So around 4 pm I went in. Spent the first night in the clinic hooked up to the IV and trying to sleep. The gas is the hardest thing about that night and the next night. The next morning we were taken to the recovery house which is also very clean. I was very uncomfortable with all the gas pain so I didnt stay put too long but thats good cause the more you move round the more gas you pass. Keep that in mind. I walked the street up and down while still attached to th e IV. You need to get through 2 bags of IV before they will let you take it off the second day. I was the first one to get it out Ya for me! So I went shopping with some people although I spent most of the time in the van lol.,You are weak. Then went back to the recovery house and went to bed. I asked for a sleeping pill and the nurse said it would knock me out for about 4 hours. I took it at 9 pm and He had to wake me up at 7:30 lol. It was the best sleep ever. So We had to drink the purple crap and then head for the xray department and get those done. You have to drink some more stuff.... just plug your nose and gulp it down. Bring a great tasing gum with you so you can put it in your mouth as soon as your done. It doesnt taste good but the gum helps. Then you go back to the clinic so the doc can see your xrays and then head back to the recovery house. I opted to leave that day and go back to SanDiago. I went shopping for a bit then had another great sleep in the hotel. We stayed at the Hampton inn. THe beds are comfortable like you woudn't believe but there is a train that goes by so they provide ear plugs.. truthfully it didnt bother me at all. then the next day I flew home to Canada. Make sure you get wheelchair assistance especially when you have long ways to walk caues I would never have made it in my condition. Now I am still gassy so I am working on this and I am having problems getting Water down ( but I never liked Water anyway) so Popcicles are my thing... Vitamin water is good too. So I see my doctor today and I am hoping to get some of my stiches out. So I will let you know how it goes from there. so since my 2 week preop diet til today I have lost 20 pounds!

The Denver airport is huge! That's the one I was thankful I was in a wheelchair. If your traveling alone I would Definatly ask for wheelchair assistance cause you get put ahead of everyone cause they have to take you and if I didn't have it I would never have made it to my next flight on time. They will take you right to your gate. In Denver we were at gate 12 and had to go to gate 84 too long to walk with sore stomach. I stayed one night in the clinic one night in the recovery house and one night in the hotel! So the third night I was in the hotel! I could have stayed in Mexico but I wanted to do a bit of shopping! My mom was with me and she ended pushing me around in the wheelchair cause believe me you are weak! If you can have someone go with you I would suggest it! I know some people don't but it is a great help! I also suggest you do a liquid diet for two weeks before cause it helps with the gas.

Proud Mama....I didn't think we could have gum. I am a huge gum junkie and this like music to my ears!!! I am really excited to begin my journey!!! I'm scheduled for May 31st. I have been trying to research as much as possible so I'll know what to expect and how to handle it! Any advise from the pros would be much appriciated!!!

I've also been reading up on the stay at the recovery house vs. the Hotel Tuscan (?). They say the recovery house is very crowed and can be loud. I worry about the comfort of my guest there.....however.....I also hear that if you stay at the hotel you must ride back and forth twice daily to the recovery house for your meds and/or pain killers and that could be a deal breaker for me.

Anyone with advise?

Boots in Houston

The recovery house is a bit crowded but I didn't find it loud. However, I think that if you have a guest, the guest, at least, will have to stay at Hotel Ticuan ... I'm pretty sure there were no guests staying at the recovery house. Hope that helps :)

I had gum the second day after my surgery. sugar free of course lol. I am a baby and had I not had that gum after drinking the drink at the clinic I would have thrown up I think lol. It just gets rid of the awful taste that's all. It was sugar free and your not eating it do I didn't see why not. I know before the surgery it's not recommended but I did it after. Maybe ask just to be sure. I just went ahead and did it.