Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Weeks Out, Feeling Good, But Weight Loss Is Really Slowing Down

I know that it is normal for weight loss to slow down, but I started out at a pretty high BMI so I want to be sure I maximize these first months to get the maximum loss.

At the last meeting with the NUT, I was not feeling good. She encouraged me to up my carbs to more like 80 a day, instead of staying in the 25-40 range. She was right, i felt better almost instantly, but I also think my weight loss has slowed to 1-2 pounds a week. I am keeping my eaten calories in the 700-800 range and I get another 65 or so calories in Vitamin supplements (chewables and liquids have calories and carbs) but the total is always under 1000. I am probably getting 70-80 carbs a day now, including the Vitamins.

I am trying to focus on getting my carbs from vegetables and fruits, very limited amount of bread or Pasta type products. I am concerned that if I go back to the under 40 carbs again that i will feel so weak and tired again but I am not sure what else to do to get that weight loss going faster.

I walk 30 minutes a day, including a hillclimb, doing small increases in activity in everyday life such as parking along ways away from the store and trying to do more things using my body rather then sitting - and am back to doing horse stuff. I could probably increase activity to see if that would help. I am thinking of buying an elliptical as those are gentle on my knees.

I started out at a 51 BMI so even though I had good losses the first month, I won't get to my goal if I don't pick up the pace here in month 2.

I'm now 7 weeks out and have noticed my weight loss is slowing down too. I think it is because I started eating solid foods instead of mushies and liquids. On the liquid phase I lost tons of weight fast so might go back to liquids for a few weeks if I don't start losing more soon.

Cowgirl, you're describing my story as well. I questioned my NUT as to why I was feeling so bleh and she told me the same thing and, like you, it worked. My loss also slowed, but with my new-found energy and weightloss, I upped my activity.

I belonged to a health club so I hit the elliptical and started going to group fitness classes. Spinning (stationary bike) really kicked my hiney and Tabata (interval aerobics) were my favorites. My weightloss got a kick in the hiney, too. I then started running (ran 3 miles this morning) and have continued that entering in races and begin a running group this Saturday.

But, it all started by finding that level of carbs that gave me my energy back.

you sound like me!! same story.... I'm going to up my carbs to see if that helps me feel a little better.. I don't feel bad. just litte sluggish - thanks for your post