Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bmi Over 60 I Am 4'11 Questions

newgrandmother, that decision is very personal. There are positives and negatives to both surgeries. Are you a diabetic? That would be a good reason to choose RnY over the sleeve. Either way, you will have to work your tool no matter what you choose. However it is much easier to lose fast in the first few months with the RnY as well because most of what you eat are mal absorbed.

That said, there are plenty of sleevers who lose all of their excess weight very quickly. It's just not as easy because everything we eat our bodies do consume. In time though, we are also successful with beating diabetes and high blood pressure... including all of the other co-morbidities that come with being obese. It's just not overnight like what can happen with RnY.

Good luck on your decision. If you like, look through my profile and pictures. I lost over 100 lbs post Sleeve and I have lost over 160 lbs in total. It can be done if you put the hard work in!!!

I've seen a couple of guys on here that started over 500 lbs.... like Diva says, there may be health issues to consider, but everything I've read says results are comparable to RNY. God speed on your decision!

At my highest weight i was 540 pounds. i was sleeved at 490 pounds on 11/8/11 and i am now at 414 pounds. i have been taken off blood pressure medicine and i am not longer borderline diabetic. back pain has subsided also. so far so good for me. good luck with your decision. the main reason i chose the sleeve is because there is no mal-absorption and it can be always be revised to the Rny if needed.

i have read that the weight loss is not that great with the sleeve. but i do see ppl losing over 100lbs. i am pretty healthy even with this high bmi. decisions dicisions

I too have a BMI over 60, my surgeon said he wouldn't do the RNY on me at this stage because it would be difficult to recover from with my size being so big. He said I would have to start with the sleeve and then if I choose he would do the RNY. I have no desire to be rerouted anyways so I have made the decision to work my sleeve (once I get it) and lose all the weight possible. If I never get down to my ideal then that is okay with me, just knowing I will be healthier works for me! Also, like you other than being the size I am I don't have any health problems. Which completely amazes the doctor.

I too have a BMI over 60, my surgeon said he wouldn't do the RNY on me at this stage because it would be difficult to recover from with my size being so big. He said I would have to start with the sleeve and then if I choose he would do the RNY. I have no desire to be rerouted anyways so I have made the decision to work my sleeve (once I get it) and lose all the weight possible. If I never get down to my ideal then that is okay with me, just knowing I will be healthier works for me! Also, like you other than being the size I am I don't have any health problems. Which completely amazes the doctor.

OH THAT'S RIGHT!!! I totally forgot reading that VSG used to be the 1st step toward RNY! (Still is in some cases with higher BMI I guess.) Well, there's your answer.

I know that the sleeve is the first step of the Duodenal switch--you could get it first and then see how you do, and your doctor might be able to do an RNY for you then if you still need one. At my clinic, they told me, they are finding more and more people are happy and healthy with just the sleeve and no second half of their duodenal switch.

newgrandmother, since you mentioned you don't have any co morbidities then my personal opinion is look into being sleeved. Keep in mind too that the sleeve is able to be converted into both the Duodenal Switch or the RnY if needed in the future. Again, just my opinion... do lots of research. Good luck to you in your decision!!

My highest weight was 444 and I opted for the sleeve because I knew there was always an option to go to the RNY or the DS at a later time if I wasn't very successful. However, now that I'm 144 pounds down in 8 months of being sleeved, I don't think that will be necessary. I've lost almost half of my excess body weight! I feel so much better!

My surgeon highly recommended the sleeve for me. He said that he thought I would be very successful and that it was a much safer procedure. If I were you I would continue talking to the surgeon and make your decision based upon what he tells you. Good luck!