Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Absolutely The Worst Experience

I had my surgery Friday, just got home today. I was terribly sick and still doubting my decision. I hope it gets better because I hate this sick feeling in my stomach. Imagine trying to throw up when you have nothing to throw up. Then the nurses are yelling at you that you may be ruining your new pouch. For two days I had nothing to drink and had a nasty taste in my mouth... I couldnt go pee without a tube ... they kept trying to find veins to place the needle in to give the needed medicines... this experience was a nightmare. Everyone who had the surgery the same day as me left Saturday. I am counting the days until it gets better

I truly hate that you are having a terrible time. I assure you the 'regret' you are feeling will soon be replaced with an elation that will remove all these bad thoughts. I was fortunate in that I did not experience the sickness, but I would like you to go to YouTube and look for Big Nick VSG. He experienced the same difficulty and I promise his story will make you feel better about your decision. Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted!

I hope this gets better!

(HUGS) So sorry you're feeling so icky post op. I was, too--and I actually woke UP from surgery really angry with myself with a serious case of buyer's remorse. I mean I was MAD!!! I felt horrible--I was mad at myself for getting to the position where surgery was really the only lifesaving option for me, and I was mad at the pain and mad at the whole thing.

That lasted about a day, and I realized that it was a done deal and I could probably better manage my emotional upset by trying to get a handle on what I was going to do now. So I did. Things were not great in the beginning--I had lots of excess acid, threw up every day for the first seven weeks, had a lot of problems finding food that my sleeve would tolerate, etc. etc. Would I do it again? In a New York minute!!!

With all of that, I would do it again, because it flipping worked (is working). Nothing else I tried worked. I know this is going to keep me at a proper weight for the rest of my life, and I am thrilled with the results. It was a drastic step, yes, and a lifechanging surgery in a lot of ways. But hang in there--the first few months are rough, no doubt, but when you start to see/feel the results, hopefully you'll come to appreciate (dare I suggest "love"?) your sleeve. I know I'm so very happy I have mine. Hang in there, sweetie--it's awful, no kidding, but it gets better with time. Take your time--no rush. Let your body heal. Take care of yourself. Try to imagine yourself minus the excess weight--it will be here in a few months!

Precious cargo, i know exactly what you are going through. I had surgery last Tuesday and came home on Thursday night, so I'm just a few days ahead of you. I DEFINITELY regretted it the first day, but the nurse kept reassuring me that everyone at that point, cause they are in soooo much pain, says the same thing. I was throwing up too (dry heaving) from the morphine and my surgeon even said that I set back my recovery time because of it, but, you know what?? I'm getting better and it doesn't nearly hurt as much as it did, although I am still really sore and have had my bad moments (see another of my topics I posted, OMG!) We all do! This phase is completely normal. Just keep venting on here and looking for support. Everyone on here is great and they definitely helped get me through my bad moment that came right at the same time you are at right now. Have you lost anything yet?

Thank you for the kind support... when I went for surgery I weighed 287, today 291 sheesh... I am trying to stay positive....

It is normal to weigh a little more when you come home. I gained six lbs of Fluid while in the hospital for one day. Trust me, it will come off super fast. Stay hydrated and try to focus on the positive. This is an amazing tool that really works if you follow the rules!

I did not have the nausea you spoke of, but it sounds bad (like I needed to say that) - hope all will be well. I did feel very bed for several days, but I think mine was due to dehyration from crying and such (my mom passed away on my 1 week post op). I am recovering but I can say I am pretty sure it has slowed my recovery some.

Good luck and God bless!

It may not feel like it now, but the anger and regret will largely pass. I was angry with myself for at least 4 months after being sleeved. I had a really rough recovery too and I seemed like I would never feel normal again. By the 5th or 6th month, I felt more or less like myself and now I feel completely normal.

My experience was atypical, so it's likely that you're going to feel better MUCH sooner than I did. There's nothing that you can do to change the decision that you made, so try to look for things to feel positive about. Make note of the good days. I started a personal and private blog just for me on Blogger. If you can get the crappy feelings out of your head and focus them someplace, it makes it easier not to dwell on them.

I feel your pain sister! Just hang in there. When I woke up from surgery it too was a horrendous nightmare. I was in terrible pain, but worse i was dry heaving nothing like you. I was terrified I was going to ruin my sleeve and /or barf up my stomach! It was definately a nightmare...BUT, it did get better with each passing day and I am SO glad i went through what i did because I lost 100lbs the first 6 months. From 265lbs to 165lbs March to September 2011. Unfortunately I let myself get off track for a while (I stopped dieting and also I was pregnant and miscarried) so I still have about 35-40lbs to go to my goal but i'll get there. And you will too. Keep the faith, it IS WORTH THE STRUGGLE! Good luck!

I didn't have regret, but I certainly can relate to the nausea for the first 24 hrs after my surgery. Dry heaving is the absolute worst. I was miserable! Once that subsided, things started getting better each day. 14 days out and I am feeling really good, so hang in there!

I too had some pretty bad nausea the first 18 hours. I just wanted to sleep and the nurses are trained to get you up and walking. I was also confused about the volume of fluids I could take in at once do the nurses were also not happy about what I was taking in and weren't happy with the amount of urin I produced. It will get better! I joe it gets better soon for you!

I had horrible nasuea from the anesthetic and morphine... I made them take me off morphine right away...went on loritab.

I too felt the same way coming out cause I was sooo sick.. but my magic day was day 7-10 after those days I literately felt like I never had surgery and my tummy didnt hurt ( couldnt eat but you get my point). I gained almost 7 pounds at the hospital but you know what?!....... I am 1.5 months out and down 43 pounds..

dont fret you have your whole life to enjoy the new you..

PreciousCargo, what you're feeling is pretty typical. I was in the hospital 2 full days/nights and nauseated the whole time. In fact, I was so sick during the immediate post-op phase that the friend that was with me said I was cussing like a sailor! I also had a catheter for peeing until all but the last few hours of the last day.

It DOES get better over time. I do think everyone's body reacts differently. I never was one to have a sensitive tummy, but even now 3 weeks out I get bouts of nausea. I just have learned to take deep breaths and rest extra when I can. I know my body is still healing inside even though on the outside I look like the same ol' me. Now if 3 or 6 months down the road I still feel like this, I'll want to chat with the doc. Just monitor yourself -- if it actually gets to vomiting or near vomiting (gagging) you may want to check in with your doc. Otherwise, take it easy and hang in there!!