Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"cheating" (A Concern)

Maybe I'm overstepping boundaries here or being a little too deep, but I always get concerned when I see newly post-op people talking about "cheating" on their food/meal plan. We've had major, invasive surgery, people - the term "cheating" to me makes me think of being on Weight Watchers and deciding to eat a medium pizza by myself with breadsticks and a 2-liter of Pepsi, and not count the points. "Cheating" after VSG surgery means the possibility of causing infection to the newly-made staple line, which is a good-sized healing incision inside your body. The same "cheating" can also cause leaks.

If I can give a short piece of advice . . . . the first couple months just plain SUCK. Eating applesauce, refried Beans and string cheese every day for 2 months is terrible. I had more than one breakdown. However, I also kept reminding myself over and over again that these foods were needed, required even, to allow my body time to heal.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, I just feel like sometimes people take this surgery too lightly from the standpoint of the healing that needs to take place both inside and outside the body before you can be 100%.

I haven't read any posts from anyone about cheating after surgery. I keep seeing the ones from folks who are cheating on the pre-op diet. I feel like they are cheating themselves, but I know I wasnt' perfect on my own pre-op diet, too. I'm so concerned about developing an eating disorder that I think it's wrong to even chew and spit during the liquid stage. Of course, I've been told that the "Chew and spit" IS an eating disorder on the order of bulimia and it's actually called cupping.

I agree w/ you on this. I too, see many posts of foods that the dr's have said not to be eating, and ppl eat anyways. i know, the 1st 2 months do suck...they really do, but the good news is, it does get better and the weight WILL come off if you follow the plan, and don't go back to the old ways of eating.

Good luck everyone!

I am at 4-1/2 weeks, and I don't think the post-op diet is too bad. So, I won't say it sucks for me.

I do feel upset when people post that they are cheating with food, or if they want to do something else their doctor has said not to do, like smoking or drinking.

Perhaps some people did not have the same preparation as many of us did. I had six months of diet doctor, nutritionist, counselor, psychiatrist, blood tests to prove no smoking, etc. I was told that bad reactions like throwing up too much could kill me.

The big thing I think I am reading is that some people have not dealt with their emotional eating. And, as a (hopefully) former emotional eater, I know how destructive and overwhelming that habit can be. And, I don't know if I will be hit with the emotional eating again, but for now I am very obedient!

So I too worry when I read of people "cheating", but I am not condemning. If we were all capable of impeccable willpower, we wouldn't be on this board talking about how we are coping with having ~75% of a major organ removed.

While I agree that it is important to be careful and to take our surgery seriously, my surgeon (and he was one of the VSG pioneers) advocates a full diet by 4 weeks. He discourages Protein drinks after surgery and only "allows" 3 meals a day and no Snacks.

I don't think there has been any empirical studies done on post-op eating and many doctors are going by the old Bypass recommendations-which is why we have so many differing pre and post op diets going on.

So while I don't think we necessarily need to stick to soft foods for 2 months-we should certainly follow our surgeons recommendations to give us the best chance at success.

Haven't had surgery yet, but I would be scared to cheat, thinking I would rupture my stomach. I agree, follow your doctor's regimen post-op.

• AMANDA did you go through kaiser

No, my husband's company is self-insured so the requirements were specific to his employer. None of the health care providers I dealt with had ever heard of the hoops I had to go through!

ETA: At first I was irritated by all the requirements, but now I am glad. I feel like I was very well prepped and have had very few surprises. I feel very well cared for.

When a person cheats on his/her diet,they are hurting themselves in the long run. This has beena major surgery that has removed 85% of our stomach. I know that I want to be successful and to be as healthy as I can possibly be. __ :aureola:

not to sound like a villiage idiot. Or an expert of any sort........but, today is my 1 year "surgiversary" and I used to eat 2 double cheeseburgers, a jumbo fry, and a 6 piece chicken Mcnugget's from McDonald's..........and still be hungry........today, I went to Mc'Donald's, ordered my old "usual" took a bite of it all....including 2 of the same cheeseburgers....."celebration" ???? ..that was at noon. It's now it's 9PM.....I'll live, felt like crap for a minute, reminded me how much I DON'T WANT TO EAT IT AGAIN,.....but the craving has definately faded. I'll live and be fine. I've totally cheated. But your body will let you know. And to me.....that the best reliability! jus'sayin'

not to sound like a villiage idiot. Or an expert of any sort........but, today is my 1 year "surgiversary" and I used to eat 2 double cheeseburgers, a jumbo fry, and a 6 piece chicken Mcnugget's from McDonald's..........and still be hungry........today, I went to Mc'Donald's, ordered my old "usual" took a bite of it all....including 2 of the same cheeseburgers....."celebration" ???? ..that was at noon. It's now it's 9PM.....I'll live, felt like crap for a minute, reminded me how much I DON'T WANT TO EAT IT AGAIN,.....but the craving has definately faded. I'll live and be fine. I've totally cheated. But your body will let you know. And to me.....that the best reliability! jus'sayin'

pneal, congrats on your surgiversary!! Looks like you have really rocked your sleeve!! :)

I get urges to cheat but then I dismiss the junk food as carbs and will only make my body burn them instead of the fat. I rather lose the fat than eat useless carbs. Now when I buy something, I make sure it has 20 or less carbs a serving in it or I won't have it in the house. I think I'm doing pretty good! I had a free lunch at Sam's club today of the different samples such as applewood smoked bacon, oranges, melon, and stuffed mushrooms. I was so full for hours afterward.

I get urges to cheat but then I dismiss the junk food as carbs and will only make my body burn them instead of the fat. I rather lose the fat than eat useless carbs. Now when I buy something, I make sure it has 20 or less carbs a serving in it or I won't have it in the house. I think I'm doing pretty good! I had a free lunch at Sam's club today of the different samples such as applewood smoked bacon, oranges, melon, and stuffed mushrooms. I was so full for hours afterward.

I absolutely loved your comment, "Free lunch from Sam's" My sister and I laugh about that, we're both post op sleevers, but it seems the two times we've had opportunity, their samples have been cleaning things or stuffed peppers or something we can't touch yet. She is 4 months and I am 3 weeks post op. but I look forward to the "free lunch" .. LOL