Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Losing Anything...

Hey everyone.. This is my first post. I was reluctant to join a forum, but I have an issue I've been wondering about.

I'm about 5 weeks post op from my VSG. I'm a 24 year old female. At the time of surgery I weighed 485 pounds. My first week post op, I lost 20 pounds. My surgeon and NUT told me that because of my weight and age I would expect to lose a lot pretty fast the first month.

The problem is I havent lost anything since. It's been 3 weeks with no weight loss. Not even a pound :(

I've heard tons of people talk about the "3rd week stall", but this is just crazy.

I've been eating very small, healthy portions. Drinking my Protein shakes. Exercising 6 days a week.

I called my Dr. to see what could be going on, but he gave no answer. He gave me an appointment two weeks from now (I have a busy sched). But for the next two weeks I'm gonna drive myself crazy wanting to know whats up.

Has anyone ever experienced a 2,3,4,5 week stall? Or does anyone know what could possibly be wrong? Thanks so much in advance for any answers. I appreciate it so much.

I am 23 yrs old and had my surgery a little over 5 weeks ago as well.....I have lost only 24 lbs since surgery....most during the first week. I have only dropped 2 pounds over the last 2 weeks. I too am getting frustrated but eating healthy and exercising. I am sure our scales will keep moving downward but I understand your frustration. Good luck...sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Take a deep breath. There have been stalls much longer than the one you're on now. There are plenty of posts on this board about stalls - you just completely changed your body and it has to have a chance to get used to it. Maybe change things up on what you're eating - go back to liquids for a few days and see if that helps.

Its been hammered into our brains that a calorie in is equal to a calorie burned. That is SO NOT TRUE. Put the scale somewhere that you can't get to it for a week and see what happens. Hang in there! You know you're absolutely doing what you're supposed to, so its just your body playing catchup, would be my guess. Definitely see the doc - its always good to follow up :)

Rooting for you!!!!

Circa is right. It is frustrating but normal. I have had several stalls over 3-5 weeks. Just keep up the good work,and take the long view... this is a change for life and the year will fly by... just wait and see!

thank you all so much! your words mean a lot, honestly. I appreciate you taking time out to answer and of course I'll stick around and keep everyone updated. best of luck to all of you too!

This is nothing! I bet that your body is adjusting and you are loosing in inches! Have you measured yourself lately? Take a measurement of your arms band stomach, thighs, calves, and see what your measurements on. Try on cloths that didn't fit you before (too small). You will be surprised about the inches. I am in a stall since Xmas but have gone down to a size 10 women's LEE jeans from a size 15 Levi jeans. I wear smaller tops also. It's amazine but I still get caught up in the #'s on the scale. Hard to get away from that. Hang in there and keep reading posts here. ;)

Me too i had surgery 12/12/11 and i am experience the stall. My body keeps losing inches i havent budged forever but my tops have gone down my hips have gone down and I mean really gone down something that was getting to big last week is now way too big. i have the same frustrating moments that are like really why havent i lost on the scale but the point is is that i am still losing inches. :) also you wanna make sure getting enough Water and food in as hard as it can be at times. Keep your chin up cause if you keep looking through this forum your not alone and everyone sees a big big difference!