Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"low" Bmi--Are You Likely To Loose Too Much Weight?

Hi everyone. I will be having my psych and cardio tests next month and then surgery will be scheduled! I started this process with a BMI of 35 (5'8 and 235) and high blood pressure. It makes me grin to hear that 35 is "low"--I'm pretty big. I know this might sound crazy, but I am worried about losing too much weight. Has this happened to anyone out there? If so, did it have anything to do with a lower starting BMI? My goal weight is 160, which would be a loss of about 70 lbs. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Shan

My BMI was low also, but all of my weight was around my middle and behind. Really uncomfortable under my breast area. I am 5'5" and started at 200. I have high blood pressure and other health issues. I think that you will just need to add calories when you get to where you want to stop. My husband lost his weight really fast and then it pretty much stopped, right where he wanted to be. Maybe our bodies know.

I am 5'6" and had a low BMI and have (or had) diabetsis. I was at 213 around surgery date and am doing quite well. I've dropped 50 lbs. I weigh about 163 right now and am aiming for 130 lbs. You are going to do fine. I wouldn't worry about it until it happens. In which, it probably won't happen and you will have eliminated all that time worrying about something that didn't happen. ;)

I'm 5'6" and weighed 222 the day before surgery. I'm just a few pounds from goal and weight loss is slowing for me. I think it will be fairly easy to add enough calories to do maintenance. It's just going to take a little adjustment here and there. I hope to add enough calories from healthy foods that I've avoided, such as Peanut Butter, avocado, olive oil, and nuts. I'm looking forward to having a little more of these treats along with a couple more "bad" Snacks a week. For example, this week I had a Mai Tai. I'm trying to keep that as my only splurge so I can lose the last few pounds. After I get to goal, I might have two Mai Tais a week and dessert or popcorn once a week too. Woo-hoo!

And I'm really looking forward to adding avocado to my lunch or a little Parmesan to dinner and using a little extra basil olive oil when cooking my veggies!

For myself, I'm more worried about getting lax and tilting back to the too many calories side of the equation.

Lynda

I was worried about this too. My BMI is 33.8 and my surgery is scheduled for March 6. My doc told me your body knows when to stop losing weight. And I have to say that from what I've seen and read, most people still struggle with their final weight loss, so I'm not as concerned.

i was right at 30bmi at surgery. 187lbs to be exact. I am 155lbs at two and half months out. I am 5'7, and am shooting for 135lbs. I figure the last twenty will be slow, but I have six months of the "honeymoon" period left to lose it. That should not be too hard. BUT my husband is concerned about me stopping because so far the weight has been falling off without much effort.

I was also on the low side before my surgery. I am 5'4" and weighed about 218 right before I went in for surgery (down from 225 when I met my surgeon). I believe m BMI was about 36. I am now in my 8th month post surgery and I'm down to 170lbs, pretty much eating anything I want, being mindful of carbohydrates (but definitely have indulged). I should also mention that I'm an avid gym rat - always have been - and I do some hardcore circuit training with intermittent cardio. I'm currently going through a stall - since November (go figure - start of the holidays), I have been going between 166 and 170 with nothing further. I've actually been documenting it on YouTube. My goal is to get to an athletic 150. I don't regret my sleeve at all and my doctor was all for it. I didn't have any co-morbitities with the exception of some pre-diabetic eyesight loss, which got me approved through insurance. 70 pounds down is pretty much my goal too - and I don't think I could have achieved it without my sleeve. The sleeve has taught me a lot about eating, nutrition and fitness. It has also made me much more self aware of my eating and my body. If your doctor and you are comfortable, I say go for it.