Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Shrink

These lively conversations are great! ;)

I think people are reading the statement "WLS doesn't work" and getting riled up. They aren't comprehending the statement that occurs afterwards. Basically, I took it as him saying that this isn't magic. You have to WORK the tool. A hammer doesn't build a house, but it sure makes the job easier.

I think you may have found a no-nonsense person that's going to tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.

A hammer doesn't build a house...I like that!

If I went to my shrink and he told me that WLS does not work I would dump him just like I "did" dump my primary care doctor. I understand that just the surgery is not going to get you to where you want to be but the surgery is also a tool that will help get you there. If I would not have had the surgery I would have continued to yo-yo diet for the rest of my life and been miserable. It is untimately up to her if she continues to see this person but I would expect a little more support from my shrink of therapist.

How do *I* know I'm not gonna still be the yoyo dieter after this 'honeymoon' with the surgeon wears off? How do I know that vsg is going to help prevent it? I've lost 40 lbs and am putting old clothes into vietnam vets of america donation bags to be picked up later. But I've tossed many other bags and the only reason I have s omething to wear NOW is because I hadn't got around to tossing the smaller stuff.

I'm fighting this "losing battle" since I'm a kid. I don't know why I'm ble to lose wt now. I have no proof its bcse I had surgery 12/5. Frankly, the unknown scares the stuffing outta me

I'm figuring the shrink'll be one of the tools...yeah? Whatever, I need the support. Thanks for your feedback.

Yup, exactly what I'm talkin' about! I try to set myself up for success as best I can because Lord knows it's easy for me to fail.

It seems that some people's opinions are the best...not pointing any finger....just saying and I know that some of you who have contacted me personally know what I mean

Either you don't think we should add our opinions or you should have an opinion on every topic ... I'm not sure. But why be cryptic? No need to hide behind private messages. Say what is on your mind, Anderson.

Ok I will....some of your replies I do not especially care for and others do not either.....but as you say you are entitled to your opinion.....as am I.

Just because something I post might hit home hard for you doesn't mean it is any less true or may help someone out. Are you going to argue the point that there is a population out there that think all they have to do is get a WLS surgery and sit back and all their weight loss issues are solved? Do you really believe 5 years from now it is going to be totally easy to maintain whatever weight you are at?

I know a lot of people DON'T like my posts. I also know a lot of people DO like my posts. They are honest and straightforward. I don't pull any punches. I also don't talk out of my @$$ about things I don't know about or don't have enough experience in. If you think I am off base, please, by all means, let me know. But let's not hijack this thread. Either create a new thread in the Rants section for a public discussion or send me a message for a private one.

Oh I think that everyone is entitles to post their opinion and I hope that you continue. Please do no stop because of me or anyone else. I also plan on continuing to post my views even if you do not like them. I do not have anything to say to you in private that I can not post for all to see.......carry on.

Oh and the rest please do not mind me.....I'm just bitter and jealous

It seems that some people's opinions are the best...not pointing any finger....just saying and I know that some of you who have contacted me personally know what I mean

Say what??? " Some people's opinions are the best?" What on Gd's green earth does this mean? We were having a supportive and intelligent discussion. We weren't having a contest or presenting golden globe awards for the "best" contribution. Why discussions evelove into epithet flinging matches means only one thing to me: members got too much time on their hands.

Back off Anderson, this is her thread. She is the original poster.

What are you bitter and jealous about?

Don't post here. You have already hijacked this thread enough.

And guess who had to add their own personal comment.....let it go and let others talk

Oh cut it out! Are u telling me to shut up? Why? I'm not permitted to comment on a topic I started? Why not? I'm not permitted to ask for clarification of an unclear statement?

I enjoy designing and making earrings...what's your hobby?

When I first met with my shrink (I've actually known him all my life but haven't talked to him since I was 9 and I'm 22 now), he seemed to not be on my side at first. Talked to him a few more times, and I realized he wasn't the bad guy, he was just trying to help me see things in a more realistic light.

I say give this guy some more time before you make a decision.

Oh, and sorry someone wanted to quiet you on your own thread.

When I first met with my shrink (I've actually known him all my life but haven't talked to him since I was 9 and I'm 22 now), he seemed to not be on my side at first. Talked to him a few more times, and I realized he wasn't the bad guy, he was just trying to help me see things in a more realistic light.

I say give this guy some more time before you make a decision.

Oh, and sorry someone wanted to quiet you on your own thread.

I am leaning that way. I'm surprised that some people feel able to make a decision so quickly. That's never been my style...besides, how do I know that any objection I have toward a new shrink wouldn't really be some sort of resistance on my part. I think I have to give it a few weeks at least...its just that I was surprised to hear a shrink who had surgery himself, say exactly what i'd said before deciding to have surgery. It was like "oh, my objection was valid!" He is still not obese again so I am curious as to what strategies he found to change his lifestyle.

I was thinking only a profound trauma would change a person. . .