Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Weeks Post Op - Should I Be Able To Eat This Much?

My doc says he uses a 34fr bougie, loose. On the fairly small side of things, right?

At lunch I was able to eat a 5 oz can of canned chicken breast (pureed with low fat mayo and the broth from the can) and 2 oz of fat free cottage cheese. That is 7 oz of food. No pain whatsoever. Is that normal? I initially served myself about half of the chicken, but after finishing it and the cottage cheese, still felt hungry. So I started on the remaining and finished it. Incidentally, this was done in about....20 minutes? Did I just eat too fast? But wouldn't I have felt pain?

Have I f'ed up my sleeve? Can people further down the line speak to the volume of soft foods they were able to eat at this point?

I wasn't worried about the fact that I could have quite a volume of liquid without a problem, since it just kind of goes right through, but i would have assumed chicken, even pureed, and cottage cheese, would fill up the sleeve.

I'm in the same boat! My surgery was Dec. 13th and i can and do eat about 4 oz cottage cheese and 8 oz of soup! Absolutely nothing hurts my sleeve enough to stop me from eating. I was told from someone on here that once i go on full foods that i won't be able to eat that much anymore....I'm waiting patiently but scared to death that i won't keep losing weight. I would consider the can of chicken that you ate as a full food so i'm not too sure now that full foods is going to slow me down. I hope someone on here can give us some info or guidance.

I'm 3.5 months post op and I can eat about 2 oz of meat, little baked potato, veggies. I make sure that I don't put too much on my plate. I'd rather under eat than eat too much. I eat approximately 4.5 oz of food. My doc's office told me to eat slow and chew, chew, chew, and chew. ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It sounds to me like eating the chicken with the cottage cheese, everything is just slidding through. I can sit down and eat 8 oz of chili, no problem. Has meat, Beans, veggies ... and liquid ... ahh ... open, little pyloric valve ... OPEN.

Now, if I have a piece of chicken or fish, I can have about 2-3 oz. Nowhere near the same amount of food and then I am STUFFED. Difference? No liquid. If you are looking to feel restriction, you can't have liquids with your meal.

But you are only a month out. When you get to eating solid-solid food, stay away from liquids with your meal, whether that be a glass of Water, or liquids in the meal itself, and you will feel the restriction.

I am the same way. Sleeved on Dec 13, and when it comes to yogurt or cottage cheese, and I can eat quite a bit, and get hungry soon after. But today when I had an egg with cheese, I was so full after 3/4 of it I couldn't get another bite down! It really depends on the food.< /p>

It's totally normal! Just wait until you're on denser Proteins and you'll discover that you can only eat a few bites. I'm 18 months out and one egg scrambled with cheese or one hardboiled egg can still fill me up. I can only eat about 3 oz. of dense Protein (steak, roast, burger, etc.) and 4-5 oz. of chicken because chicken goes down easier.

But if you give me something soft or pureed I can eat an entire cup.

So don't fret, you'll be fine. If I ever start to think my capacity is drastically increased I just sit down to a steak dinner. The fact that I can only eat six or so bites wakes me up to the reality of the sleeve in a hurry!

~Cheri

• LoserMama, we share the same surgrey date, 12/21/11, I too feel as though I can eat a lot more that I am suppose to, I do not have any pain either. I just thought that my "new plate size would be 1/4 to 1/2 cup!" I would love to know of your progress, take cre.

These are all reassuring responses. I am glad to hear others think that there is still a fair amount of liquid content in the soft food stages so it may pass through easier too, with chewing so well its almost liquid. Not drinking before or after meals so good there. I do hope I start to feel it with more solid foods, for sure! Pammie, my sleeve twin! when do you get to start eating 'real" solids? I get to start regular bariatric diet next Wednesday. Which is just in time, because i have to take my first business trip post surgery next week, its looking like.

Hi my sleebling twin Loser Mama...

I have been worried about hte same thing. I feel like I can eat more, but then I feel that uncomfortable feeling. I need to be a bit more strict on myself though.

I have oatmeal in the am, a couple of low fat cheese sticks, a package of albacore tuna mashed up of course, and Water. I chew a Protein bar for about 5-10 minutes. Tonight I was naughty and I had two small slices of pizza (Very small) but naughty none the less. I feel like crap. It is taking a while to go down. Not a pleasant feeling. Other than the naughty part (on my behalf) I feel better reading that others are able to tolerate a bit more too.

I was able to eat 2.5 oz of soft Pasta and 5 oz of ground beef. I feel very full now. But im super worried that I was able to fit almost 8oz in. Im thinking I just stretched out my sleeve. Maybe Bc these were soft foods. Im 5 weeks post op

Why are you eating so fast? It takes approximately 20 mins for your brain and tummy to communicate that your are full. By eating slower you allow your body time to send those signals. Try downloading the Eat Slower app. Try eating just the smaller portion and then wait 20 minutes if you are truly hungry then have some more. These are habits you need to develop going forth. The surgery was step 1. The changes you need to adopt in how you eat as well as how much you eat are entirely on you.

I totally agree. I'm 11 weeks out and found in the earlier stages I would have a bite in my mouth literally chewing when the "I'm full" flag would go out. Early on you should be eating small amounts very slowly. Funny I've learned to eat and read on this site. I take a bite then read in the forums take a bite and repeat the process. This allows time for the chemical signals to get connected. I can eat about 3oz- 4oz max. If I push the limits I'll end up sick. My sleeve I've learned is very sensitive to things and although I didn't think my problem was eating too fast I learned it was part of the problem. Try to eat 1/2cup and stop see if your full. Maybe some of the "old" habits are trying to work their way back in. Wishing you the best in your journey.