Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello i am 1 month out and still having severe L.shoulder pain. It is not there *all* the time just pretty often. Massaging it helps, as does icing it. Did anyone else have this? Is it a cause for concern or am i being silly?

Speak to you Dr about it! Left shoulder pain was the ONLY symptom of my leak - I never ran a fever with it. It started out coming and going and eventually stayed. I used ice and heat and that helped in the beginning. Eventually my leak was discovered. They kept telling me it was acid reflux and in the end it was referred pain from the diaphragm - I had an abscess from the leak which was pushing on it.

Libbe is right! Please call your doctor right away. If the pain is severe, then it needs attention. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing, but you don't want to let it get worse if it IS something.

Yes - when you say "severe" that is how I described it - this is "I can't function" pain!

Please go to urgent care or the ER. This can be really serious, especially if it's a leak. Let us know what's happening please.

IMHO, it's better to be safe than sorry. I would call my surgeon asap.

I had a mild, intermittent, throbbing pain in my upper arms. It only showed up 3 times in a 3 week period and each time it was a different arm. I told my surgeon and he referred me to my General Practitioner. She is having blood work done and I'm waiting fro the test results.

I hope everything is okay you!

weight.png

I had pain across my upper chest around the diaphragm area and some shoulder pain. It turned out to be a leak and I spent 3 weeks in the hospital because the Fluid from my stomach went into my lungs and the fluid became infected surrounding my lungs. I would go to the ER. Trust me, you do not want to spend 3 weeks in the hospital.

Candice - I ended up with Fluid around my lungs as well, 3 weeks in the hospital and 3 chest tubes.

I had pain across my upper chest around the diaphragm area and some shoulder pain. It turned out to be a leak and I spent 3 weeks in the hospital because the Fluid from my stomach went into my lungs and the fluid became infected surrounding my lungs. I would go to the ER. Trust me, you do not want to spend 3 weeks in the hospital.

Ok, I had my sleeve, on Dec. 12, 2011. I have had pain, severe at times, esp. after I eat, every since the surgery. I have been to the hospital, and had a cat scan, right before Christmas, and it showed, that my spleen was messed up, and that one of my lungs, wasn't filling up all the way. All they did was give me liquid vicadin. Now the pain is still there, and after about two table spoons of food, I'm in so much pain, that my husband, gets my vicadin for me. I have a doctors appt. on wed. and my family is mad, and wants some answers, to when this will stop.

Omg kdippy. I hope it gets resolved. The rest of you thank you for your insight. I will call the surgeon and see what he says.

Yes, please call. I had the shoulder pain from gas and the surgeon's office said that it can last up to two weeks. One month? Definitely get it checked out ASAP!

I also had left shoulder pain..I'm 5 months out and my pain is associated with eating too fast. Once I learned to slow down it has eased but by all means, look into it further if it is still bothering you.

I called today to my surgeons nurse and they 1st said "oh its normal wait until your follow up visit February 7th" Then she called back and asked what hand i use. Right hand i said. "oh well that doesn't help we thought that you were straining your shoulder by moving your fork to your mouth" (SERIOUSLY) Then she said because it is intermitten, it is probably acid reflux. You should eat more meals a day, graze, and then take a OTC (she gave me a brand i can't remember). I realized before calling her that it comes after i eat something. She thought it was odd that i made the correlation between eating and shoulder pain. As of right now i am feeling *okay* but if it keeps bugging me i will push. They said to try the OTC and let her know friday if i am still feeling like this. Jailynn i was wondering that too but it was bugging me even for a smoothie that i made.

Don't let some nurse dictate your treatment. You could die from a leak. Just keep an eye on it. There maybe some accuracy that it is acid reflux if it is occuring after you eat. If it was a leak the pain would likely be constant and get worse over time. Just be careful and if you feel you have a leak....go to the ER. Don't wait for permission from your surgeon's office.