Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nearly 2 Months Out And Question About Dumping

Ok so I am almost 2 months out and I am trying to avoid some carbs. I tried a bite of one small pancake no Syrup and right after 1 hour I started feeling dizzy,headache,it was a weird feeling.

So I decided not to try another pancake in a while lol Yesterday my husband decided to go for lunch to this pizza buffet. I told him it was going to be a waste of money since I can't eat at buffets,well maybe 1-2 bites but not plates full of food. So I only tried a bit of Soup and 2-3 bites of a cheese very thin Pizza Crust slice and I had the same symptoms that I listed above ,is this could be dumping?

Same stuff if I tried a bit of Pasta. I know I still in an early stage so I will stick with my Protein, Water and some veggies .

yes, some foods do make us nauseous and sick.

When you get dumping, you will have a lot of symptoms. Nausea, dizzy, sweaty, and diarrahea. It's horrible!! I still get it if I have something with sugar and fat.

yeah i know what you mean, i guess when we eat something extra fatty or oily or sweet that happens, i cant even dream or think of having anything sweet what so ever, everytime i eat something i shouldnt be, it tortures me for days, so yeah we gotta learnnn

I had a bite of Peanut Butter yesterday & burped it up all day! Drank a lot of Water to push it through after I had a Gas-X strip! Felt much better after all that. But the other day, I was able to eat a few peanuts & they didn't bother me at all! It's a live & learn process!

yeah definately I do not eat a lot of carbs makes me feel tooo full...ugh the only time I felt like I was having a bad dumping syndrome was when I was eating oranges... other wise Ive been good, I do not crave sweets at all, not even before surgery... now I am 9 months out and it is def a learning process.. not too many things upset me so I am lucky I guess I think it gets easier as time goes on... hang in there

BTW I can even eat pickles which were a fav before surgery...and no issues some do have issues with that as well... I think sometimes I just need a sodium kick...

I believe dumping may occur for sleevers too, but best person to ask would be NUT or Dr. It does sound like it though. I feel I have had this too. Not a pleasant feeling.

BTW I can even eat pickles which were a fav before surgery...and no issues some do have issues with that as well... I think sometimes I just need a sodium kick...

Im only a month out and I crave pickles daily. I could eat those instead of real food but I know they are not Protein rich.

Sounds less like dumping (which I feel is more related to sugar alcohols and fats than the surgery) and more like an issue with blood sugars. I was diabetic before sleeving and what you're describing sounds exactly like what my blood sugar would do if I consumed too many carbs, or if I ate a heavy carb meal after avoiding them for a long period of time.

A lot of people experience dumping symptoms have an issue with a sensitivity to sugar alcohols (because so many of us jump into the low-carb lifestyle post op) or a reaction to eating fatty foods after avoiding them for a long period of time. I had these same symptoms prior to surgery after going on a strict diet, too. I also thought I was dumping post op but in reality, I had developed lactose intolerance and was being horribly affected by the huge amounts of dairy I was consuming post op to boost my Protein intake.

If you're riding the super low carb train and then feeling sick after pizza or Pasta I'd say it's the huge boost to your sugars that's the problem. If you want to avoid that but still eat small amounts of carbs, I'd boost your daily intake a little so your body isn't in shock afterward. And if you don't want to eat those foods, then don't eat them. I still can't eat Pasta without feeling incredibly sick - both from the stomach pain and the lightheadedness afterward. Other foods don't bother me the same way. I can eat one small chocolate chip cookie and not have the same issues caused by three bites of macaroni.

Hope you figure it out and come up with a solution that keeps you happy AND feeling healthy.

~Cheri

I'm 2 1/2 months out, or around it. I can manage with some crackers okay, but my Pasta and bread intake is nil. I just can't tolerate it, and I know if it's because of what clk said above, or if because some other unknown digestive issue with grains. Some people who have experienced even orthopedic surgery have developed intolerances to pasta, breads, milk...etc.. I think it's just because the stomach I used to have is just gone.

I dont think its dumping... sleevers dont dump. dumping is caused when sugar hits the part of the intestine that was moved up to join the bottom of the pouch... its not used to having undigested sugar in it. We sleevers didnt have our intestines rearranged like that so we wont ever by "dumping". What can make you a little sick is too many carbs and sugar in general. It can make you nauseaus if you have been low carbing it and then suddenly here comes a lot of sugar/carbs. Sounds kinda the same but its not. Also, a lot of sleevers become lactose intolerant. I did at about 4 months. I was fine before that. I cant drink milk now but I can eat cheese, yogurt, etc.. I dont know why but I will take it!

Dont worry about dumping because we dont but ...if sugars/carbs make you nauseas at times make sure your doctor gives you some zofran and try not to eat it until you can tolerate it better.