Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here! Sleeved On January 10, 2012!

Hi all!!

I'm very new here and haven't posted much. However, I did quite a bit of reading prior to my surgery this week. I look forward to becoming an active participant here! :-)

My surgery was scheduled for 10 am on Tuesday, I was told to arrive at 8. My surgery didn't start until after 12 due to my surgeon's previous operation running over. All went well in the PACU. When I woke up in recovery, the first thing I thought was "what did I do to myself?!". The pain was VERY intense! I got into my room around 3:30. Things were better with the pump at that point. I was very excited to see my family but I soon drifted back off to sleep. I walked that evening around 9.

I didn't sleep much that night. Walked again around 6 am on Day 2. Getting in and out of the bed were the worst parts. They removed the catheter around 10 and started my fluids. I was only able to tolerate around 16 oz that first day-mostly Water but a little juice, Protein shake, broth, and a Popsicle thrown in. They started me on oral pain meds that night and removed the pump. I walked again that night before bed. Forgot to mention that I was instructed to use an oral machine to clear my lungs 10 times per hour. That began to produce some coughing.

I was discharged yesterday around 2:30 pm. I am excited to be home! Pain is better; I feel it when I move. sleeping was very difficult at home last night. I tried several positions but couldn't remain in them long due to discomfort. I am having difficulty getting my fluids in because I don't have a desire to drink anything.

I am trying to stay away from the scale, but I came home 3 pounds heavier than my day of surgery. :-( I was told that was common due to gas and fluids from the hospital. Hopefully I'll see the scale move soon! I'm very happy to be sleeved and SO excited about what the future will bring!

Welcome! I am new too! Good luck on your new journey!

Congratulations!

My first advice is to get rid of the scale. ESPECIALLY early on. The weight will come off, don't worry. Just eat the way your team told you to.

As far as sleeping, my wife made a pocket of pillows which I nestled in sleeping at about a 45 degree angle. I was able to sleep that way with pillows all around me.

Good luck, keep sipping Water and Protein shakes. Try to walk as much as is comfortable.

Congrats on your surgery.

Another option for sleeping is a recliner. If you have one, have someone help you get in and lay it back. Position pillows to get you comfortable. Made a world of difference for me!

I wish I would have had a pain pump. I was hardly given any pain medication due to a certain medication that I take, so luckily my pain wasn't bad at all and I did fine without it.

Thanks for the replies! I had lots of pillows last night but I slept straight up. I'll try the 45 degree tonight. And I'll stop weighing! I have that feeling to see immediate results. The last thing I want to do is fail. MiniMe, I don't have a recliner but I can imagine that being perfect!

:welcome:

You will love it here! This is the best place on Earth for anyone sleeved. Biased? Maybe, but the truth is the truth!!

Congrats on being sleeved! It sounds like your first few days are quite normal. Keep doing all the right things and this time next year, you won't even recognize yourself in the mirror! ;)

yay! congrats! hope you are finding a comfortable position to sleep in! I'm a stomach sleeper/side sleeper so I bought a nice big body pillow to put next to me for a little extra support and comfort. Also to take the place of the DOG that's usually laying there kicking me :P

:welcome:

You will love it here! This is the best place on Earth for anyone sleeved. Biased? Maybe, but the truth is the truth!!

Congrats on being sleeved! It sounds like your first few days are quite normal. Keep doing all the right things and this time next year, you won't even recognize yourself in the mirror! ;)

Thanks so much! Your story is very inspiring! One of the ladies who came to draw my blood in the hospital shared her story with me. She had RNY 2 years ago. She weighed 589 on the day of surgery and is now 191! She looked phenomenal! Though we had different operations, I LOVE to see someone with a WLS success surgery. I have a lot to lose. I was 401 on the day of surgery. I haven't mapped out all goals yet but I'd love to lose 200 lbs! I'm up for the challenge. Make room for me on the Loser's Bench!

yay! congrats! hope you are finding a comfortable position to sleep in! I'm a stomach sleeper/side sleeper so I bought a nice big body pillow to put next to me for a little extra support and comfort. Also to take the place of the DOG that's usually laying there kicking me :P

Body pillow sounds great! I'm a side/stomach sleeper, also. Thanks so much!

HI I WAS SLEEVED 1/4/2012 I WAS 231 SAY OF SURGERY, AND 224 3 DAYS POST OP, I HAVE NOT LOST ANY MORE AND CAN STILL EAT:(

You're able to eat normal food already? I have to be on a 3 week liquid diet. My follow up class and surgeon visit is on on Feb 1. Then I can move to soft foods.

I was sleeved on Tuesday too so it's great to have another person here that is getting started with me.

I agree with the pain being pretty intense the first couple of days but I'm feeling ALOT better. Still sore and tender and only doing half my dose of pain medication but it's definitely better than it was.

I was worried about sleeping arrangements last night when I got home and found out that I was more comfortable in my bed propped up by pillows than i was in my recliner, so I had a great night of NO Interrupted sleep lol

Glad to hear you're doing so well and I hope our journey will be a positive pleasant experience for us :D

Congratulations! I look forward to reading about your success!