Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Definitely Regret Surgery.... So Far!

well if i was regretting surgery before... IM DEFINITELY regretting it now! they found a leak last week. i was discharged after 6 days. they placed a stent which is painful. the acid is the worse!!!!! i dont know wdf to do!!!! seriously. my throat feels like its pouring alcohol on an open cut. im on 20mg of omeprazole 2x a day. i dont know how much more of this i can take! :(

I am really sorry you are having these troubles. Try to keep the faith - they will get this leak resolved and you can get on with the business of getting healthy! Are you on a no food by mouth, getting your nutrition via IV?

no.. i am able to eat whatever i want as long as i chew it well but with the acid.. i dont want to eat anything.

I am really sorry you are having these troubles. Try to keep the faith - they will get this leak resolved and you can get on with the business of getting healthy! Are you on a no food by mouth, getting your nutrition via IV?

i woke up throwing up green bile on an empty stomach. lord knows im soooo over this. what i would give to undo all of this.... u guys have no idea!!!

i dont want to discourage people from having surgery because not all ppl have complications but then again... i went ahead with surgery because i thought id be lucky & not have complications! ive heard patients call my surgeon a GOD! although i know this wasnt his fault because i had no leak when i left the hospital post surgery but damn!!! had i known that i would be doing this 6 weeks post op, i wouldve did it the old fashion way & went back to a gym & cut my portions!

ppl keep asking me how much ive lost & they say well thats great! atleast u lost x amount. NO!!! screw that. i rather have put that much weight on & not be going through this rather than be going through this & lost that weight! this is torture!!!

im venting here & sorry if im scaring anyone but this is MY STORY & MY TRUTH!!!!

Your reaction of anger and regret is completely normal and I think most of us would share that. The only comfort I can offer is noting that there are people on this forum who completely recovered from a leak and went on to be very successful and healthy with their sleeve. In the meantime, this totally sucks.

I don't know about you, but I tried the eat less, work out more then about 1000 times before resorting to surgery. I used to lose weight and gain it back, but in recent years the losing has gotten harder and the regarin faster and furious. I personally had pretty much given up hope of being able to lose and maintain weigh loss without the surgery.

I want to say a couple things, based on my research and what my surgeon told me. First, if you had a leak at time of surgery it may have been missed on the initial leak test. The swelling right after surgery can mask leaks, this is one of the reason that some surgeons are no longer doing the initial leak tests (they do it if symptoms arise). It is of course possible something occurred during those first 3-4 weeks when it is possible to aggravate the incision, but don't rule out that it was there from the very beginning - you will probably never know.

The second thing is more of a question. I always thought that while waiting for a leak to heal, people are not allowed food and drink by mouth. Am I misinformed on this point?

Anyway, prayers for your very quick recovery.

im aware that it may have been missed which is very true but thats not the case in everyone. only symptom i had post op was throwing up the last 2weeks. i was doing great those 2weeks besidees throwing up 2x.

as far as eating & such... with the stent, u can eat & drink & etc. when u have other corrective procedures, u are NPO

Your reaction of anger and regret is completely normal and I think most of us would share that. The only comfort I can offer is noting that there are people on this forum who completely recovered from a leak and went on to be very successful and healthy with their sleeve. In the meantime, this totally sucks.

I don't know about you, but I tried the eat less, work out more then about 1000 times before resorting to surgery. I used to lose weight and gain it back, but in recent years the losing has gotten harder and the regarin faster and furious. I personally had pretty much given up hope of being able to lose and maintain weigh loss without the surgery.

I want to say a couple things, based on my research and what my surgeon told me. First, if you had a leak at time of surgery it may have been missed on the initial leak test. The swelling right after surgery can mask leaks, this is one of the reason that some surgeons are no longer doing the initial leak tests (they do it if symptoms arise). It is of course possible something occurred during those first 3-4 weeks when it is possible to aggravate the incision, but don't rule out that it was there from the very beginning - you will probably never know.

The second thing is more of a question. I always thought that while waiting for a leak to heal, people are not allowed food and drink by mouth. Am I misinformed on this point?

Anyway, prayers for your very quick recovery.

Dear JaSleeve,

Am so sorry to hear about your leak!!! BUT on the other hand, now that the doctor has discovered a problem, maybe you are finally on the road to recovery. I hope and pray this is the end to your problems!!! I think it would be SO frustrating to have the problems you have had, and never be able to find out why, or what to do about it!

I don't mean to sound like Pollyanna No Problems, BUT diagnosing the problem is the first step to correcting it! I Hope and Pray that this will be your final problem and it will be quickly resolved!When I read about all you have been through, it makes my problems with fatigue and hair loss sound SO trivial!

Unfortunately, nothing is without risk. All medications, even over the counter meds have some degree of risk. Just the way that surgery, whether it is a small outpatient procedure, or something more major, like Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy also has it's risks. Risk for the majority of surgeries is very minute, but there is still a risk. I try to explain this to my patients who decide (while they are in labor and in pain) that they want to have a Cesarean Section instead of continuing to labor. But the sad fact is, medicine is as much art as science. No two bodies are "exactly" the same, no two surgeries are "exactly" the same. There are always minute differences, there is ALWAYS the chance, no matter how minute, of a problem or complication.

So my Prayers and Hugs go out to you today. I Hope and Pray that you are firmly on the road to recovery, with the chance to make this a postiive experience, finally! Love and Hugs and Prayers coming your way today!!!

Kathy D (alias Helen the Cat)

today i thought to myself...

first i felt faint. i had no energy & just felt horrible! & i got over it. i was doing GREAT for 2 weeks.. & then they find a leak. i get admitted & was still doing GREAT until they put this stent in me. now im doing horrible. i know ill get better & be relieved that im doing better but then soon after, ill begin losing my beautiful long hair which is my security blanket. lol. like damn, DOES IT EVER END????

dont get me wrong... i knew all the possible complications. i knew what i would be getting myself into but i didnt prepare myself for a possible leak, especially not after doing so good!!!

i find it hard to eat & hard to drink. my stomach feels so messed up that i just want to sleep! i know this is a recipe for disaster! in the last 2 days, ive drank about 3oz of Water & thats it. my urine is still light & i guess its from the week of IV but i know soon, its going to go down hill. im praying to god that hehelps me

Dear JaSleeve,

Am so sorry to hear about your leak!!! BUT on the other hand, now that the doctor has discovered a problem, maybe you are finally on the road to recovery. I hope and pray this is the end to your problems!!! I think it would be SO frustrating to have the problems you have had, and never be able to find out why, or what to do about it!

I don't mean to sound like Pollyanna No Problems, BUT diagnosing the problem is the first step to correcting it! I Hope and Pray that this will be your final problem and it will be quickly resolved!When I read about all you have been through, it makes my problems with fatigue and Hair loss sound SO trivial!

Unfortunately, nothing is without risk. All medications, even over the counter meds have some degree of risk. Just the way that surgery, whether it is a small outpatient procedure, or something more major, like Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy also has it's risks. Risk for the majority of surgeries is very minute, but there is still a risk. I try to explain this to my patients who decide (while they are in labor and in pain) that they want to have a Cesarean Section instead of continuing to labor. But the sad fact is, medicine is as much art as science. No two bodies are "exactly" the same, no two surgeries are "exactly" the same. There are always minute differences, there is ALWAYS the chance, no matter how minute, of a problem or complication.

So my Prayers and Hugs go out to you today. I Hope and Pray that you are firmly on the road to recovery, with the chance to make this a postiive experience, finally! Love and Hugs and Prayers coming your way today!!!

Kathy D (alias Helen the Cat)

Don't be afraid to ask them for IV fluids. Maybe they can give you a picc line for fluids until you don't feel so raw and are able to get them on your own. I know through it all with me everyone kept telling me "you'll feel better and forget all of this" and no way could I believe that. I felt the same, would rather be fat than go through everything I went through. I am still not happy by any means but I do feel better about my decision than I did 3 months ago. Thinking of you and sending prayers for healing, sooner rather than later!

they said im doing great & dont need a picc line. im holding down fluids but just was choosing not to drink cuz the acid. i stepped up some of my liquids & im trying to nibble on stuff. hopefully ill keep advancing!

Don't be afraid to ask them for IV fluids. Maybe they can give you a picc line for fluids until you don't feel so raw and are able to get them on your own. I know through it all with me everyone kept telling me "you'll feel better and forget all of this" and no way could I believe that. I felt the same, would rather be fat than go through everything I went through. I am still not happy by any means but I do feel better about my decision than I did 3 months ago. Thinking of you and sending prayers for healing, sooner rather than later!

I was mostly worried where you mentioned you had 3 oz of Fluid the other day - you don't want to get dehydrated. Good that you are advancing :)

they said im doing great & dont need a picc line. im holding down fluids but just was choosing not to drink cuz the acid. i stepped up some of my liquids & im trying to nibble on stuff. hopefully ill keep advancing!

the 3oz was more by choice. the feeling is gross but i need to stay hydrated to stay out the hospital :/

I was mostly worried where you mentioned you had 3 oz of Fluid the other day - you don't want to get dehydrated. Good that you are advancing :)

woke up at 3am feeling nauseous & not good. by 320, i jumped out of bed & didnt make it to the bathroom in time before i started throwing up bile. thank god i was on my way to the bathroom or it wouldve gotten everywhere!

in a few hrs, im going to make my way to the ER. i dont know how much more i can take, seriously!!