Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Definitely Regret Surgery.... So Far!

oh man.... i know the feeling! how far out are you? maybe youre eating too fast? or too much? i always eat too fast & the pain lately has been no joke but im coping! once i began eating more meals through out the day & snacking in between, i literally did a 180 over night! i eat about 3-7meals a day (including all the snacking). i still dont think i can run on an eliptical but i think i could do a treadmill! i think im going to start on a sit down bike though. i dont tolerate shakes so im not getting enough Protein but i am getting enough or more calories. im down a jean size. i dont know how much ive lost.

Aw, jas!! So sorry you are/were struggling! Things for me haven't been the easiest- I feel like a mix between Scrooge and an "urban hermit". I just don't feel like getting out and doing anything. All I want to do is stay at home in my bed or my comfy chair and read a book or sleep. A lot of times I feel really weak, too. Mostly I just feel tired all the time. And it's definitely not dehydration, tho I could stand to drink a little more than I've been doing. I think for me it's just a lack of calories and nutrition. If I eat more than 1/4 cup of anything I feel like I am about to die- really bad chest and stomach pain. It goes away after ten-twenty minutes though. But the punishment definitely quells the desire to eat things in the future...

i know its a lot to read but i had posted that im doing so much better, thank god! im not dehydrated.. & wasnt. it was lack of food. i feel so much better :)

I'm sorry to hear, but I'm so grateful for your honesty. I know that the times that I have been dehydrated...I felt like I was going to faint and welcomed the event. It is amazing how awful it felt to me. I have been given intravenous fluids to quickly remedy dehydration. I felt back to normal in 15 min. I hope that you will get into see your Dr. ASAP. Once you aren't dehydrated I'd love to hear from you. Please stay in touch. Many thanks. Take care.

We were sleeved the same day- December 20. I also ended up having a small hiatal hernia repaired, so my surgery ended up lasting closer to an hour. I went home the next day, though! I have been to the ER twice stressing that maybe I had a leak, but both times it was gas pain/mild dehydration. I found out today that my tummy LOVES boiled carrots- I can eat about a cup of those at a time, no pain. And they are tasty because I boil them in beef bouillon with garlic. The hardest thing to eat for me is meat (the only kind I try to even eat is the super- thin sliced kind, but even a nibble gives me the feeling that it's stuck at the back of my throat...) the hardest thing for me to learn so far has been that "one more bite won't make it feel better", and to resist the "clean your plate" syndrome.

oh man.... i know the feeling! how far out are you? maybe youre eating too fast? or too much? i always eat too fast & the pain lately has been no joke but im coping! once i began eating more meals through out the day & snacking in between, i literally did a 180 over night! i eat about 3-7meals a day (including all the snacking). i still dont think i can run on an eliptical but i think i could do a treadmill! i think im going to start on a sit down bike though. i dont tolerate shakes so im not getting enough Protein but i am getting enough or more calories. im down a jean size. i dont know how much ive lost.

its funny u should say that because yesterday while eating & drinking, i felt the pain creeping up like itll feel stuck but i still kept drinking & drinking thinking it would stop until it felt really stuck & i was tapping my leg on the floor trying to hide the pain in my facial expression. its not so much of a pain but its likeextreme discomfort. i stopped drinking Water after that!!!! lol

We were sleeved the same day- December 20. I also ended up having a small hiatal hernia repaired, so my surgery ended up lasting closer to an hour. I went home the next day, though! I have been to the ER twice stressing that maybe I had a leak, but both times it was gas pain/mild dehydration. I found out today that my tummy LOVES boiled carrots- I can eat about a cup of those at a time, no pain. And they are tasty because I boil them in beef bouillon with garlic. The hardest thing to eat for me is meat (the only kind I try to even eat is the super- thin sliced kind, but even a nibble gives me the feeling that it's stuck at the back of my throat...) the hardest thing for me to learn so far has been that "one more bite won't make it feel better", and to resist the "clean your plate" syndrome.

so much better! thanks for asking!

Are you feeling better lately?

weight.png

Dear JASLEEVE,

Am so glad to hear that you are doing better. Although I didn't post or comment, I have been following your saga since you first posted about feeling crappy.

I felt really bad the first few weeks too. I went back to work when I was 10 days post op, and believe me, it almost killed me trying to work 12 hour shifts when I was so tired and felt so crappy! (I am a labor and delivery nurse, and work from 7:00 PM till 7:30 AM in a department where we do about 350 deliveries per month, which translates to 6-8 deliveries a shift. BUSY, BUSY place!)

I was sleeved on June 18th, I am seven months out yesterday, and I still have an occasional problem. Tuesday night I fixed dinner for myself and my hubbie, and as I was putting stuff on the table I was struck by a bout of nausea! I mean overwhelming nausea! I had to go lay down, and needless to say, I skipped eating dinner that night! I slept most of the night and got up around 4:00 AM feeling normal. Don't have any idea what happened, or even if it was related to my sleeve. Just know that once in a while I feel "off". Usually doesn't last, and usually isn't as intense as it was Tuesday night. But I just wanted to say "hang in there", this too shall pass!

I am down 98 pounds now (I know, I need to update my weight loss ticket!) and now wearing a size 8! I NEVER in my wildest dreams thought of myself as a size 8. In fact, it still seems to me to be a dream. But everytime I put those size 8 jeans on I pinch myself and say "Yep, It's true, you're a size 8!" And I still have trouble believing it.

My biggest fear is that I will gain weight back and be a size 26/28 again. But I trust my sleeve and intend to keep on keeping on and loose the last few pounds I need to loose to get to goal. Keep on Keeping on, and you wilk get there too. And remember when you feel crappy, "This Too Shall Pass!"

I'm just reading this now and so glad you are feeling better! Also I'm your neighbor as I live in the same city you do :biggrin2:

I do hope you continue to feel great and wish you all the success in the world.

This too shall pass. I was feeling really weak and all I could do was sleep for weeks. It wasn't until I started taking gummy vitamins that I began to feel better. Days always seem dark when things don't go according to our plan or the way they went with others. Just believe that this is all a part of a process---once you are through this---you will look back and wonder "did this really happen"----remember "process" ----your stomach/ body has to go through a process to adjust to the newness. I'll keep you in my prayers. Blessings2u--BJ

I just saw these post. I'm so glad you're feeling better. I have to admit. I was having trouble like you. I wasn't dehydrated, but oh so tried and felt so bad. I was like wth did I do to myself? I could hear my brother in the back of my head saying "I told you so". Not so much support there either. Also, I could not and can not get down 1 Protein Shake. I've wasted hundreds of dollars on so many different ones, and none work. My doc requires Protein Shakes and liquid diet til 5 weeks out, then progress to soft food, then regular food. I started going online and finding the majority of docs allowed soft foods at 2-3 weeks out. I was scared, but I took the plunge and started myself on soft food. It was like a night and day difference in a matter of 1 day. I finally started feeling better and had energy. It was weird. I'm only 3 1/2 weeks post op, and am scared I'm going to cause a leak. My body just couldn't take the strict liquid diet.....Anyway, glad you're feeling better

really? :) where are you having surgery? or have you had it done already?

I'm just reading this now and so glad you are feeling better! Also I'm your neighbor as I live in the same city you do :biggrin2:

I do hope you continue to feel great and wish you all the success in the world.

as long as you are on mushies & arent pushing it, i doubt u will cause a leak. leaks are not as common as people think. i am 4 weeks post op & i live off of spaghetti & meatballsfrom acan & i was approved to eat that by my nurse practioner. she said if i want to eat it 6x aday than so be it! we will still lose weight since its smaller portions and it has enough calories & some Protein.< /p>

I just saw these post. I'm so glad you're feeling better. I have to admit. I was having trouble like you. I wasn't dehydrated, but oh so tried and felt so bad. I was like wth did I do to myself? I could hear my brother in the back of my head saying "I told you so". Not so much support there either. Also, I could not and can not get down 1 Protein Shake. I've wasted hundreds of dollars on so many different ones, and none work. My doc requires Protein Shakes and liquid diet til 5 weeks out, then progress to soft food, then regular food. I started going online and finding the majority of docs allowed soft foods at 2-3 weeks out. I was scared, but I took the plunge and started myself on soft food. It was like a night and day difference in a matter of 1 day. I finally started feeling better and had energy. It was weird. I'm only 3 1/2 weeks post op, and am scared I'm going to cause a leak. My body just couldn't take the strict liquid diet.....Anyway, glad you're feeling better

omgoodness.. 12hr shifts? i couldve NEVER!!

Dear JASLEEVE,

Am so glad to hear that you are doing better. Although I didn't post or comment, I have been following your saga since you first posted about feeling crappy.

I felt really bad the first few weeks too. I went back to work when I was 10 days post op, and believe me, it almost killed me trying to work 12 hour shifts when I was so tired and felt so crappy! (I am a labor and delivery nurse, and work from 7:00 PM till 7:30 AM in a department where we do about 350 deliveries per month, which translates to 6-8 deliveries a shift. BUSY, BUSY place!)

I was sleeved on June 18th, I am seven months out yesterday, and I still have an occasional problem. Tuesday night I fixed dinner for myself and my hubbie, and as I was putting stuff on the table I was struck by a bout of nausea! I mean overwhelming nausea! I had to go lay down, and needless to say, I skipped eating dinner that night! I slept most of the night and got up around 4:00 AM feeling normal. Don't have any idea what happened, or even if it was related to my sleeve. Just know that once in a while I feel "off". Usually doesn't last, and usually isn't as intense as it was Tuesday night. But I just wanted to say "hang in there", this too shall pass!

I am down 98 pounds now (I know, I need to update my weight loss ticket!) and now wearing a size 8! I NEVER in my wildest dreams thought of myself as a size 8. In fact, it still seems to me to be a dream. But everytime I put those size 8 jeans on I pinch myself and say "Yep, It's true, you're a size 8!" And I still have trouble believing it.

My biggest fear is that I will gain weight back and be a size 26/28 again. But I trust my sleeve and intend to keep on keeping on and loose the last few pounds I need to loose to get to goal. Keep on Keeping on, and you wilk get there too. And remember when you feel crappy, "This Too Shall Pass!"

If I am posting something someone has already said I apologize but there are three pages of responses, so I will risk it.

Dehydration does seem to be a possible culprit but there could be others. I would go get your bloodwork again and see what it looks like - you could also be low on Iron.

I really hope you get to feeling better soon. I am in the same boat, sort of. I feel like I could run a marathon, but ten minutes later I fall asleep on the couch. I do not regret my surgery, however.

Strong good vibes coming your way!

really? :smile1: where are you having surgery? or have you had it done already?

I am still pre-op, hopefully having my surgery next month. I am having it at White Plains Hospital. It's a small program but I'm satisfied. I also looked at Montefiore and Northern Westchester too. Where did you have yours done?