Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Definitely Regret Surgery.... So Far!

*****UPDATE****** feb 2nd, 2012

i now have a leak & a stent was placed in. feeling horrible!!! the below post is the least of my worries now!

im going crazy.. :(

i was sleeved dec 20th. everything was ok until maybe a week after coming home from the hospital. i realized that i was extremely exhausted and always felt faint. it didnt really start hitting me hard until last week. everyone keeps telling me that it will get better but it feels like its getting worse! i keep trying to "stay positive" but how much more of this can i take? i want to feel normal again!!!!

i noticed that when i walk, im like dragging my feet. im so weak and faint. almost like my thighs might just give out.

i also have excessive gas which i think is making me really nauseous. the burps are just crazy. i cant eat or sip without burping.. then it wont stop until i take some gas x chewables. i live off those chewables.

as far as shakes, i cant tolerate them. ive tried so many different ones & i throw them up. they absolutely repulse me!

i do eat but i have to be "in the mood" to eat whatever is in front of me or i will just throw it up. my stomach is extremely weak! i cant even tolerate Soups. they turn my stomach too.

i called my surgeon & told him how im feeling & he told me im dehydrated. told me to get on gatorade for a week & see how i feel then. im going in thursday morning to see the nurse practioner.

the gas & the gatorade mixed is making me very nauseous.

i take 20mg of prilosec in the morning, 2- Multivitamins & 1- B12.

im so so so so so so tired of this! i truly regret surgery. i never thought id feel like this but i do. :(

Wow... I hope you feel better soon!

I've been drinking gatorade and Vitamin water's from the beginning. I knew that getting in electrolytes and potassium would be important. We had our surgeries around the same time. I haven't experienced what you have to that extent. But I have had periods of fatigue and weakness but nothing long lasting. I do believe it will get better for you as time goes on and you can start taking in more food. As counterintuitive as it seems, dehydration can make you nauseous and not keep Fluid down. Have you gotten an IV for fluids yet? Maybe that would help.

I agree with your surgeon, you do sound dehydrated, I speak from experience. Girl, I went through so much of what you are going through right after my surgery. I ended up in the hospital three times due to severe dehydration and had to get fluids via IV. As soon as those fluids were in me, I was amazed at how much better I felt. Additionally, the dehydration caused me bladder and kidney infections, which I wasn't even really aware I had until I was tested. All of those things can just really wear you down. I would feel so lightheaded and dizzy, like I was going to pass out at any moment.

If you can't get more fluids in your body, then I suggest going to the emergency room and getting IV fluids. Your health is too important to mess around with. And, as I did, you may have additional infections as a result of the dehydration.

This too shall pass. I felt very similarly but (in my case, hope it's less for you) after 2 months I started to feel real good. I also started to excercise and that helped a lot too.

Wow... I hope you feel better soon!

thank you.

i havent gotten iv yet. he told me to stay on gatorade for aweek & we will see how that goes. im hoping i dont have to be admitted into the hospital but i just want to feel better! :(

I've been drinking gatorade and Vitamin water's from the beginning. I knew that getting in electrolytes and potassium would be important. We had our surgeries around the same time. I haven't experienced what you have to that extent. But I have had periods of fatigue and weakness but nothing long lasting. I do believe it will get better for you as time goes on and you can start taking in more food. As counterintuitive as it seems, dehydration can make you nauseous and not keep Fluid down. Have you gotten an IV for fluids yet? Maybe that would help.

I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well and are having so many problems after your surgery. Please do not give up as this is going to change your life so much that you will look back on these days and think "this was totally worth it".

It does sound to me like you are dehydrated. The gatorade is great and if it upsets your stomach try diluting it with a little Water so that it is not so strong. Taking small sips is best which I am sure that you already know. You said that the Soups are making you sick. Are you able to keep down chicken broth made from the flakes of the cubes. If you are able to do the chicken broth just add more salt to the broth so that it still tastes ok to you. The extra salt will help your body retain more Fluid and you will not feel so light headed and dizzy. I was not getting hardly any Protein after my surgery which can also make you feel weak and dragging. I went to the GNC store and bought a container of flavored protein. It is more like a soft drink taste than a shake mix taste. I got the very berry blast mix. They will mix different flavors for you fight in the store so that you can try them before you buy. I tried several and did not like the orange at all but the berry blast was my favorite and it has 30g or protein per serving. I really do think that if you can increase your fluid intake and get more protein that you will notice a great change in the way that you feel.

I hope this helps and I am so sorry that you are feeling so miserable. Please post again to let us know how you are doing as we really do care about our fellow sleever's. I know I care or I would not be replying to your post. take care and God Bless.

I know I am telling you what you have already heard but please don't get discouraged. This is a MAJOR change. Part of the fatigue could be a lack of Protein or maybe you just need time to heal. Being upset and stressed can also add to your fatigue.

Try to relax. Think positively. Try the gatorade that has Protein in it so you get the protein and hydration. It costs a little more but it goes down better than the shakes or powders because it doesn't have the "protein" taste.

I would also recommend adding Vitamin D and maybe getting tested for Diabetes. Are you on the pain meds? If so, they could be dropping your blood pressure and causing you to feel wiped out. Just a few suggestions that I have seen here.

The first few weeks are a bear but we are all here for you cheering you on. You did this for you because it was the right choice for you. Look ahead to how good you will feel when you do feel normal and not obese. It really does get better every day.

when did it start to pass?

i so badly just want to feel better & go back to normal. sometimes i feel like i will pass out but i keep moving & i have to tell myself to keep moving. its hard. i pray i dont get any infections! i wouldnt be surprised if i did tho. smh.

I agree with your surgeon, you do sound dehydrated, I speak from experience. Girl, I went through so much of what you are going through right after my surgery. I ended up in the hospital three times due to severe dehydration and had to get fluids via IV. As soon as those fluids were in me, I was amazed at how much better I felt. Additionally, the dehydration caused me bladder and kidney infections, which I wasn't even really aware I had until I was tested. All of those things can just really wear you down. I would feel so lightheaded and dizzy, like I was going to pass out at any moment.

If you can't get more fluids in your body, then I suggest going to the emergency room and getting IV fluids. Your health is too important to mess around with. And, as I did, you may have additional infections as a result of the dehydration.

i cant even walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like i will pass out.

This too shall pass. I felt very similarly but (in my case, hope it's less for you) after 2 months I started to feel real good. I also started to excercise and that helped a lot too.

Yes this is dehydration, I'm so sorry you are going through that! :( I hope the gatorade helps, and I agree if its too much dilute it with more Water. I diluted a lot of things in the early stages.

I am 2.5 years out. I promise this will pass honey!! Your body has been through something incredible. You are essentially starving. That is going to be tough on anyone. This is "normal" for after surgery. Are you getting at least 500 mg of sodium a day? I know when I was getting less than that I felt faint.

I hope you feel better.

i cant do broths. they turn my stomach horribly!!!!

i dont know what it is about the shakes but i cant tolerate them. ive tried a few. they all just turn my stomach. ive upped my fluids to about 50-100oz a day (depending on the day) & im still feeling like this.

I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well and are having so many problems after your surgery. Please do not give up as this is going to change your life so much that you will look back on these days and think "this was totally worth it".

It does sound to me like you are dehydrated. The gatorade is great and if it upsets your stomach try diluting it with a little Water so that it is not so strong. Taking small sips is best which I am sure that you already know. You said that the Soups are making you sick. Are you able to keep down chicken broth made from the flakes of the cubes. If you are able to do the chicken broth just add more salt to the broth so that it still tastes ok to you. The extra salt will help your body retain more Fluid and you will not feel so light headed and dizzy. I was not getting hardly any Protein after my surgery which can also make you feel weak and dragging. I went to the GNC store and bought a container of flavored Protein. It is more like a soft drink taste than a shake mix taste. I got the very berry blast mix. They will mix different flavors for you fight in the store so that you can try them before you buy. I tried several and did not like the orange at all but the berry blast was my favorite and it has 30g or protein per serving. I really do think that if you can increase your Fluid intake and get more protein that you will notice a great change in the way that you feel.

I hope this helps and I am so sorry that you are feeling so miserable. Please post again to let us know how you are doing as we really do care about our fellow sleever's. I know I care or I would not be replying to your post. take care and God Bless.

I also felt very weak until I could start eating some real food. I dont know what your plan calls for but maybe some chicken broth or beef broth would help. sorry I just saw your post about broths. I also did sugar free popcicles, no sugar added fudgcicles and regular Jello ( i hate sugar free jello and I don't think it hurts at first just to help you keep something down.) I also used my snow cone shaver and make shaved ice with lemon juice and a little salt on it.

Edited by lyndynojo