Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am almost 3 weeks out of surgery. I am still on a full/pureed diet. I have become constipated. No rufage or Fiber is causing me some frustration. Can I take a stool softner? I have been drinking some prune juice but no luck so far. Help!!! Has anyone had this happen and what did you do?

Well first, be sure that it really is Constipation. At this point out you are barely eating anything and you should only be eating Protein.. so your body may actually be using everything you put it. I know I didn't (and still don't, sorry TMI) go very often at all.

At one point though it had been a couple weeks, and I took a tsp of milk of magnesia. It was kinda gross going down but it worked. The milk of magnesia was what was suggested in the small packet I received from my doctor.

In the meantime, just focus on getting in your liquids and Protein and don't worry about it so much.

I didn't go for over 2 weeks and I finally got some Miralax and I went the next day with great ease. I had this cleared through my surgeon's office. aureola.gif

I am 4 week out tomorrow and the first 2 weeks I had no problem and was having small stool.....like bunny turds. This past week and a half I have not been going much and had a bad time one day with Constipation. I used some small bottles anema's and finally cleared everything. The stool that I had was very hard and my stomach was sore for several days after that as I had to strain so hard. I have been taking a stool softner everyday since and I have also purchased some fiber chewy Gummy bears and I take 2 of those each and every morning. I am still not going to the bathroom that often but when I do I am going on my own without so much problem. I think once I start eating more fiber it will all come together more naturally.

Miralax powder is really good. My doctor prescribed it right after my cancer surgery years ago, and it's over the counter now. You can stir it into anything and it's clear and tasteless so Soup, pudding, tea, whatever, can be used as the delivery vehicle. You can also use Benefiber. These are two things that my NUT recommended, and I always keep Miralax on hand, so I was happy not to have to buy anything else. Good luck, and don't get discouraged! I'm just past 3 weeks myself, and I keep telling myself that each day is going to be that little bit better: optimism helps a lot.

Everyone has to figure out what works for them to be regular. This is what works for me. The more exercise I get, the better. Moving your body stimulates your intestions to "move", too. So walk as much as possible. Next is fluids. You have to drink enough fluids, or things will never be normal. So, if you aren't successfully getting in a minimum of 60 ounces of Fluid, you will have problems being regular. Then, I take one dose of Miralax most every day (mixed in either a smoothie, oatmeal or a bottle of water) and two "packets" of Benefiber (you can take up to three packets of benefiber each day).

That works for me. Good luck finding your optimum solution.

Sharon

Yes, you can take stool softeners. You can also take the vegetable senna laxatives. I know this is gross, but I know to many people having a hard time with the Constipation. It's always good to keep on hand an enema, just in case! Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do!

OH OH OH!! Take Fiber, EVERYDAY. Benefiber is great! FiberChoice is good, but for some people it gives them gas......EEK!!

Hope this helps... :)

Okay...this is going to be TMI, and I am sorry for that. I was one of those individuals who had problems initially with explosive diarrhea. It was so bad I thought I was going to dehydrate. Then I went onto full liquids, and had the absolute opposite problem. I spoke with my surgeons office and they told me I could take peri-colace. The only problem I have with this is that it can be habit forming and will cause problems with bowel patterns.

I have learned that mira-lax is very gentle and it does work and is non-habit forming. It seems like bowel issues are definitely part of the changes that come along, but also don't forget if you were getting narcotic pain relievers and are still taking them, they too will cause Constipation.< /p>

Water is one of the most natural things for constipation though.

This is such a common problem for sleevers in the beginning. It is uncomfortable, and can be downright painful as well! Milk of Magnesia was what my doctor recommended as well, and it worked wonderfully for me.

A timely thread for me...I'm in so much pain! Yowch. glad I searched before I posted :) Before it was mildly annoying, now I'm in hell. I try to poop and its just...stuck....TMI :D :D

I was sent home from hospital with Milk of Mag...works but I would have this terrible gurgling and then explosive visits to the bathroom so I asked if I could us mirlax instead and it worked and was was more gentle. Things got better at around 4 months...Havent need to take anything since then. Hang in there it will get better.

Perfect timing for me as well...I go sometimes weeks without going and then I get these horrible pains like labor pains until I finally go and then I go pretty much all day. One day at work so bad that I was turning white and sweating and crying from the pain. They wanted to call an ambulance...I just wanted to go home and sit on the toilet. Ive tried stool.softners..they don't work...all that works is a cleanse for me...like citrate magnesium...my doctor said fiber supplements which I've tried also with no success. I'm 3 months out and this has become a huge problem for me to the point I'm afraid to be at work..since I have a controlling job...that limits bathroom breaks...I know its not normal. I'm hoping that the 4 month thing mentioned is true and cannot wait until that day!

Same thing happened to me. I am 5 wks and can not go "Poo-Poo"...I am strarting Mirilax in the morning for the first time. I have had 2 "poo-poo's" in 5 weeks tomorrow!! crazy!! My hubby always told me I was full of you know what and I guess he is right!! LOL

I took 2 teaspoons this morning with my shake. It says that you can take it more than once a day. Anyone else out there that is taking it and if so how many times a day...