Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Secret? What Do You Say?

For those who are keeping your sleeve private. What do you say when out to lunch / dinner with friends, co-workers, business meetings... With the band even waiter/ waitresses say that's ALL your eating?

I have already used the "I am just getting over a bug" excuse at a restaurant. Although the people I was with knew about my surgery. I'm curious to see what others have to say to you, since I may experience the same problem. I do know that out of courtesy, it's always nice to ask for Water, just to fit in.

Yes, I have mastered the art of ordering Water and not drinking it during meals. I really don't like the taste of plain water so, it wasn't difficult. Before the band I used to drink iced tea but, at $2-$3 a pop, it wasn't difficult to give it up either. My weekly lunch costs went down over $10 a week.

I have told a couple of really worried looking waiters that I've had surgery. I've also used someone else's excuse of I had a big meal earlier. I even told one waiter that I am "working on losing weight" and had eaten my allotted calories for that meal.

Those who know me know that I don't count calories, but it's an excuse no one questions.

Lissa

I have used those before. When I had gotten to my goal weight with the band (later gained it back), the excuse that I'm on a diet, people looked at me like I was crazy.

I have used the following excuses. I would like to try to get a complete list of excuses.

I've already eaten.

I had a big Breakfast.

I'm trying to lose weight.

I don't feel good/ stomach ache/ sick.

I have a tooth ache. (a couple of times, I really did have a tooth ache)

I've even said, I didn't care for the meal very much.

I'm not hungry.

Any more good excuses?

I would tell them that I want just something light and order a bowl of Soup. I do not feel that I need to explain my food choices to anyone and especially to a waiter or waitress. It is none of their business what I order or what I eat. If they continue to question my choices I would excuse myself and speak to the head person at the restuarant.

Well, when i have gone to Applebees, I have "shared" an appetizer with a male coworker and then ordered the french onion Soup, and then just eaten the liquid, and no one has questioned me. (If you share an appetizer with most men, they do not really pay attention if you just have 1 or 2 pieces). I have also ordered grilled chicken with salad, and then I ate the chicken and just cut up the salad in little pieces and left it. Again, no one has ever questioned me. When I go out to eat, I talk alot while the others eat, so by the end, they are mostly done and I have eaten what I need to, and that's it. If anyone asks about what I am eating (or not), I say "huh, what?" If they are so rude to repeat a question,like "is that all your eating", I say, "I 'm not hungry anymore". If they say anything else, I "joke" and say either, "boy you are REALLY that interested"? or "stop being a pain in the a**", depending who asks me. If I feel like it, and I'm at someones house, I just say I can't eat that I'm allergic or it gives me an upset stomach. I try not to get into lengthy discussions & I don't feel I need to explain anything to anyone. (But I think this is what turning 50 does to you!)

I eat in restaurant's alot and I have never had anyone ask me questions. I don't care if people know that I had this surgery, because everyone who knows me, knows I've had a surgery. In a restaurant, I'm not there to talk to the servers. I give them concise orders and always thell them that the food is delicious. If it's not delicious I do sent it back and they fix me a new plate. I love keeping everything simple....... ;)

I am pretty slim now so I don't get the comments much anymore but when I do I just say that I am a "small eater". When I first had my surgery and obviously WASN'T a small eaters (ha), I said something similar to the other posters..."oh, I have been snacking all day...not really hungry" or "just getting over a bug and don't have much appetite." My co-workers don't know about my surgery and they do know that I have lost a lot of weight so they chalk up my smaller portions to my "diet". Good luck...it will get easier!

Im not sleeved, just looking into it but im banded. Here are some band excuses I use

When asked why I’m not eating a lot I respond:

-I just ate – before I got here/ an hour ago/ a big meal earlier/ a snack before meeting with you/ because I was starving and now I’m kind of full

- This food – tastes a little strange/ is too spicy/is too hot/ isn’t that good/ is getting between my teeth

-I just ate too fast and some food got stuck

- I drank too much last night and ____ isn’t a good hangover food for me

- it’s too early/late for me to be eating

When asked why I am not drinking a lot or taking shots ( my fav!) I respond:

- I just – did a shot/ had a drink/ate and am super full

- I don’t have a lot of money to drink tonight

- I have to get up early tomorrow

- I drank too much last night and want to take it easy tonight

- I went out earlier with my coworkers and already feel too drunk

- I don’t like shots anymore after I got sick off of them a few months ago

- I have been drinking too much and want to give my liver a break

- I’m sick and my doc tells me not to drink with my meds

may sound self-depricating, but I've already given the "do I LOOK like i need to eat more?"

shuts people up right away :)

may sound self-depricating, but I've already given the "do I LOOK like i need to eat more?"

shuts people up right away :smile1:

This is exactly what I always say! (most people never knew I had a failed band) And you are right, it DOES shut them up, FAST!!! :)

I went out to a restaurant recently, right before seeing the "Cavalia" show. I was thinking that my eating one little bit of a shared appetizer and some Soup would be noticed, but here is the funny... haha... I was at a small table with 3 other women (it was a big group and we were too late to fit at the main table) and it was like a who could eat the least contest. Good lord, I probably ate as much or more then the others. Weird.