Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeking Buddies 5'2" & Under

Hey again! Tomorrow is exactly week 4, How is everyone doing with food intake at this point? I can do soft veggies and saltines lol. Are there any other suggestions? Also I'm having heartburn issues, the prilosec seems to help but does anyone else have a more natural way of dealing with it?

I am 2 weeks out, (and change) and got the okay yesterday to eat food, I had a scrambled egg today and ate 1/2.

For heartburn, I have been upgraded to prilosec, but for my bad heartburn when I was pregnant I ate lots of papaya enzymes. I'm not sure if they will help right now. Apples used to help me, but I don't think I could eat an apple right now.

I like that you're asking about more natural ways of dealing with things. I got into a HUGE discussion with one of the nutritionists yesterday about artificial sugars and how they are not natural and I have always avoided them (making getting any Protein powders into me really hard) and she said that they are fine and that my issues with them are just from social pressures. So I started to wonder if I was the only one who's been sleeved that has any interest in whole foods and not eating artificial stuff.

Hey again! Tomorrow is exactly week 4, How is everyone doing with food intake at this point? I can do soft veggies and saltines lol. Are there any other suggestions? Also I'm having heartburn issues, the prilosec seems to help but does anyone else have a more natural way of dealing with it?

I take Prilosec daily, but I've turned to Tums w/ Calcium chewables for extra help in recent weeks because I was super stressed out at work and it's caused my tummy to go nuts. It worked for me. I hope this helps!

I've never had an issue with the artificial sweeteners but the agave is a more natural alternative. I find now I shop at only more nutritious stores and buy only organic food, which is better for my family (somehow If I don't eat much I can justify spending more for them). The things I want to avoid is being stuck on pills because I can't "heal" my stomach naturally and re-balance anything that was put out of whack with the surgery. The whey Protein is very important right now to your health, you can't consume enough protein on your own and they whey protein is 23 grams for only 4 oz of liquid. It's doable. I think I pushed myself too far by trying to eat chicken now...I need to take a step back. It's hard to tell what I can eat and what I can't.

I avoid agave as well since there's been some conflicting issues with it. (Google it, you'll see what I mean) For my family I use maple Syrup or honey. I understand I need Protein, I use unflavoured or ones that are sweetened with stevia, (Jay Robb or Tera's Whey both use stevia and are mostly tasty).

For years before my surgery I have been feeding myself and family all whole foods (not just the store, I mean food that is whole, made from scratch) so I hate resorting to anything artificial, it feels like back sliding to me.

I think regarding what you can and cannot eat, it's trial and error. Right now the hard thing for me is finding that soft cue of when I am full before I make myself sick. I eat slowly, and chew lots, but sometimes I find that I am one bite too many. Such a learning curve!

Ok short buddies.... I need some inspiration :( I was sleeved feb 6. So far including pre op loss of 7 I'm down 24. Sooo 17 since surgery. I have been the same for 2 weeks now. Just seems like I'm losing sooooo SLOW. it's really annoying. I know it will come off eventually but dang! And everyone says it comes of slower for us lower BMI ppl but right now I just don't feel like its working as well as I'd like. I wanted to be down to 160 by the end of May buy at this rate it's not going to happen.... Stuck at 178 for 2 weeks. I guess I need to totally ramp up the exercise. I feel like I'm eatig right and not too much. About 600-800 cal per day and usually less than 50 carbs. Drinking 50-80 oz a day.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Short stuff in Texas, too! ( west Houston)

I LOVE this discussion because we do have very different issues. I have learned so much on this entire site, but this is even better!

I am just under 5', a Lapband revision and not scheduled until June.

Congratulations to all of you for your losses far!

Ok short buddies.... I need some inspiration :( I was sleeved feb 6. So far including pre op loss of 7 I'm down 24. Sooo 17 since surgery. I have been the same for 2 weeks now. Just seems like I'm losing sooooo SLOW. it's really annoying. I know it will come off eventually but dang! And everyone says it comes of slower for us lower BMI ppl but right now I just don't feel like its working as well as I'd like. I wanted to be down to 160 by the end of May buy at this rate it's not going to happen.... Stuck at 178 for 2 weeks. I guess I need to totally ramp up the exercise. I feel like I'm eatig right and not too much. About 600-800 cal per day and usually less than 50 carbs. Drinking 50-80 oz a day.

Well I am unlike others that stayed at 600 to 800 calories because when I was working out as much as I do now and only eating that few of calories I WOULD NOT lose it was frustrating. I upped my calories to 1,000 to 1,200 and I am 8.5 nearly 9 months out and I lost pretty regular up till the 6 month mark... You can try it and see. But for me 800 calories my body thought I was starving it so it wouldn't let any weight go. If I feed my body it let's the weight come off... of course it's really slowed down now LOL but I have 40 more lbs till goal. Good luck gotta find what works for you and stalls can last anywhere from 1 week to 2 months. :)

I was a BMI of 34....I also plateaued at around 15 pounds loss for a couple weeks. I was sleeved on Feb 17th and stayed at around 15 pounds for a loooong time it seemed. No matter what I did it wouldn't come off. Just a couple days ago i started losing again. 24 pounds is still good but you will be at your goal by the end of May for sure. Your body goes through this feeling that your starving and holds on to all fat in your body. The thing you don't want to do is lose muscle. Good luck and hang in there I guarantee you will lose it.

I'm 5'2" & 216 lbs. I am currently in the pre-op phase. I have two more nutrition classes (April & May) & two more clearances (both scheduled for the beginning of April). If my insurance company approves me, fingers crossed, I will be eligible to have my surgery in May. However, since I have the option of not working in the summer, I will push my date back to June.

Little bits

Good luck! It will be here before u know it !

Thank you!!!

Little bits

Thank you!!!

Little bits

One thing I would really like to see is exercise equipment manufacturers take height into account when they program their machines. I have a Nordic Track treadmill I try to use regularly (not that it is not acting as a closet adjunct), but the programming says that 3 mph is a brisk walk...HELLO, 5 feet tall, 3 mph is a flat run. I am nowhere near ready for that speed. However I can go 2.5 mph with an 8% incline.

I cannot use a recumbent bike at all because my feet won't reach the pedals no matter how much I slide the seat foward.

Short legs versus the Machine. I lose ever time LOL

Robbie! I know this all too well! I gave up on machines all together, I stick to free weights and lots of swimming.