Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Do The 3rd Week Stalls Usually Last?

I am in the middle of my fourth week and have been at a stall for at least 10 to 14 days (not sure when it started). How long does this first stall usually last? I am really frustrated with it. I think it is normal, but I don't know how long not losing is normal. Anybody know?

Thanks,

Rachel

Sadly there are a lot of posts about this. Some never have this, other have weeks of a stall. Mine was 4 weeks and 2 days I believe, and am on a 4 month stall of over a month already. It's frustrating and like everyone will tell you, measure yourself and see if things are going down in size. I try on smaller pants to see if they fit better now too, that helps...good luck!

Don't go by the scale but use a tape measure to see if you have lost inches. When you exercise you build muscles, which weighs more than fat pound for pound. I only weight myself once a week because I get discouraged otherwise.

I have seen anything from none at all to two to three weeks (maybe more) reported - I don't know if anyone has done a study on it or calculated averages, but maybe that would be a good topic for someone's grad school paper. Further, I don't know if anyone can say whether stall frequency or duration can be linked to any particular dietary program or surgical technique - I haven't been as low cal or low carb as many people do and haven't experienced much in the way of stalls on the way down, but can't say whether the two are associated or just coincidental. But, in general, long term weight loss is usually characterized as more stairsteps than a straight ramp.

The linked article below gives a good explanation of what is happening, but the short answer is that as frustrating as it can be, you should rejoice because it means that you are now starting to move into actual fat-burning mode.

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

So glad you are all here. I was sleeved on Dec 5th and I haven't dropped a pound in the last week and half,. I watch my calories and it clearly can not be because I'm eating too much because I don't get to eat anything.,,. I'm so frustrated . I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Im glad to see that it is somewhat normal.

i just got back from my bariatric doc and they were saying that we can trigger a weight loss during a stall by going back to the liquid diet or by increasing our exercise. Today I have started liquids even though i had a l pound weight loss. Yayyy! ;)

This particular thread is a blessing! You see, I was sleeved on December 6th and haven't lost a single pound w/in the last 1 1/2 weeks. I thought that I was doing something wrong. I find it SO unusual that I can eat so little (comparable to my "pre-sleeved" self) yet not loose a single pound. I have not measured myself- I've only used the bathroom scale as my guideline.

It's honestly nice to know that I'm not alone. woot.gif

Thanks for your input everyone! Hoping we make it through these stalls sooner than later!

Whew....I was getting nervous. I was doing great and now I gained back a pound. Not sure how that happened, but I know I have lost weight. My pants are baggy on me now. Frustrating. I suppose a day of liquids will not hurt.

I was sleeved on Dec 5th, I seem to be lucky as there has been no stall for me. down 40 pounds so far, but I'm on the go from 6am to 6pm full of energy as of a week ago. good luck you will lose the weight for sure, your eating less than a 10th of what we used to eat every day. Plus your energy level will soar soon.

I had my first stall (5 days) starting the 11th day following surgery. I had been only eating 700-800 calories a day for 4 weeks by that time. I was able to get in all my Protein, liquids and supplements. So I did what the article on DS Facts suggested. I had a high calorie diet one day to trick my metabolism. Since I couln't each much at a time due to my small stomach, I got a small bag of Fritos and a small bag of chips. I chewed completely and ate slowly. I spent the day eating the 2 bags as well as getting in all my protein and liquids. This morning (2 days later) a 2 pound loss showed up. I can't wait to see what will happen tomorrow. I am going to add more sensible calories so that I don't go into starvation mode again.