Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee/caffeine...to Do Or Not To Do?

I probably waited about a month before going back to coffee, now I live on the stuff, day and night ;) I had to laugh last week at the support group. We had a ladies mom who was visiting and she asked about having regular coffee. Her daughter, who is in her 50s and has the RNY, refused to drink caffeinated coffee because she thought it was not allowed. Little did she realize the coffee at group IS caffeinated haha.

I was allowed caffeine after six weeks, or when I was back on solids. My doc said its because of the diuretic effect that he wants us to wait.

I drink Decaf coffee and tea, mostly because that allows me to count it toward my Water intake!

I'm also a rebel on soda. I allow myself one diet decaf coke a day. Shhhh, don't tell on me! Oh I waited until I hit 3 months out before I drank any soda.

Lissa

My NUT said no for the first 6 weeks, then she said you can have it but from her experience caffiene & cigarettes were the 2 main causes for ulcers post op. I figure I'll have the occasional iced tea etc, but it was a b&^($ kicking the diet mt dew habit prior to surgery I don't want to go back LOL

G

I was told to wait 3 weeks for coffee and then it was ok. I have about 2 cups a day. Since I had to give up diet coke there's no way I'm giving up coffee if I don't have to.

True that! I am going to miss Diet Dr. Pepper really bad. I will have to have my coffee!

I must be a major rebel. I drink a large latte, 2 sparkling waters and a diet coke EVERYDAY! :-) My weight loss is fantastic and I enjoy these things.

I went back to drinking coffee 2 months post-op. At first I drank Maxwell House 1/2 Lite coffee which is a mixture of 1/2 caffeine and 1/2 Decaf. It was lovely. At month 3 I started drinking regular coffee and have at least one large cup every day. I hope I don't get ulcers but I love my coffee! Especially in the cold weather season.

My Dr. said no caffeine and no alcohol for 3 months and no carbonated beverages ever. I made it to 4 weeks post op before I started drinking half caffeinated coffee. Since I'm almost 5 weeks post-op, I went through the holidays freshly sleeved. I would have killed for a glass of wine but oh well. I don't drink soda but I do like beer with pizza and Mexican food. Bummed about that one.

mullet head & fellow sleevers OMG - my dr didn't give me a drain or leak test either, i was so happy. I didn't mention it here cuz i figured some people on the board might say "hmmmm, no drain or leak test, not good" rolleyes.gif to all my fellow sleevers i apologize on being a little "judgmental" jumping to conclusions etc. please forgive me okhappy.png kathyembaressed_smile.gif

My doctor did not give me a leak test either or so I thought. So on my appointment day I asked him why didn't he give me a leak test like everyone else was talking about. He replied he did give me a leak test in the operating room while I was asleep. lol so my mystery was solved. It's so funny how the doctors all do things so different.