Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous About Mexico

I'm nervous about Mexico. Someone told me that on these boards are people working with doctors and are not Truely VSG clients. I've read just about every post on this board and I feel comfortable about it ,,than I talk to someone ad get nervous again. I have about 5,000 to spend total and I've read a couple horror stories about surgeries that were this cheap. I want to go with dr. Aceves but he is a little out of my price range.

Wow, that's scarry! We are going to Mexico the end of January for my daughter with Dr. Garcia. I have read good things about him on this web site, but now I'm worried if they are real patients telling us great things about him or his recruiters druming up business for him. We are going thru alma at Ready 4 a Change and she's been great to work with.

Dr. Garcia patient,s please speak up.

Well I can assure you that there ARE real people who have had surgery in MX on this board. I was sleeved 12/6/2010 in MX and am now over a year out, almost 13 months. It's changed my life.

I was NOT impressed by the facilities I went to, but not shocked either. The "standards" ARE lower in MX but I will have to say they get away with plenty of stupid BS here in the USA too - I have horror stories about my wifes surgeries that were done in the US. Many people have gone through the facility and had NO major issues, me included, however it's NOT for everyone. I will no longer recommend the site I went to becasue of issues it had while I was NOT there, treatment of patients and an armed robbery at the recovery house.

It's not for everyone but can provide a much needed service to those who otherwise cannot afford it. Do your homework, get PERSONAL advice from those who have gone and study it out thouroughly. Please also conside the fact that if you DO have complications you have little to NO legal recourse against the Dr. or facility in MX, their liabilty laws are far different than the US's.

I wish you the best my friend!

I'm headed to Mexico at the end of this month. I feel very confident in my decision, not just because of the money, but because of the research I've done on the doctor, the facility, my personal medical needs and the education of the doctor. I have an aversion to US doctors because of being misdiagnosed by so many doctors for so long. Fearmongering of some is to be taken with a grain of salt, so is the absolute GUSHING over a doctor or experience that was considered to be so perfect that birds were singing to them every morning. If its too good to be true, it probably is. If its too horrible to be true, it probably is. Take the middle ground and DO YOUR RESEARCH! :) I'm going at the end of this month, I'll give you a full account of everything that I see and go through.

If you're not completely comfortable with Mexico then why would you go? I researched the surgery and surgeons for over a year. There's alot of other options out there. If price is your concern, then check out other countries that will perform the surgery. Or, go through a financing company to self pay in the States or Canada.

I agree with strongarm. $5300 was THE best money I have ever ever spent. I love my sleeve, but I refuse to tell anyone else to go and do it. Especially if they are not comfortable with ANY aspect of the surgery.

Good Luck in your decision!

Well I'm going through belite weight to have my surgery done in juarez Mexico with Dr. Jose Rod I would just say do your research

I'm nervous about Mexico. Someone told me that on these boards are people working with doctors and are not Truely VSG clients. I've read just about every post on this board and I feel comfortable about it ,,than I talk to someone ad get nervous again. I have about 5,000 to spend total and I've read a couple horror stories about surgeries that were this cheap. I want to go with dr. Aceves but he is a little out of my price range.

Hello revtoby, we are very real people that have had the surgery and it has changed my life. I am located in Texas and had my surgery in Tijuana. I have sent you a PM, you can call me and we can discuss any questions you have.

I was on line yesterday checking my claims on Blue Cross Blue Shield. The hospital billed over $51,000 for my 2 day stay and the surgery facility. Have not seen the claim for the doctors yet. Since I was back in the hospital the following week for 3 days I'm sure that will be another $30,000+. I can't believe it cost this much in the US. How can they do it in Mexico for $5,000?? Well, we're going to find out. For self pay people Mexico seems the only way to get help. I've heard enough good things and have done enough research to make me believe surgery in Mexico is a viable option.

I go next month on February 15th to TJ. I know its difficult to make a decision, but just do as much research as possible. I am using Beliteweight and having Dr. Rodriguez perform my surgery. You can call them and ask as many questions as you would like. I see a lot of people that love Dr. kelly and Dr. Aceves. Dr. Kelly's prices aren't bad.

I am an actual patient that went to Tijuana, Mexico and had a lapband removal and a gastric sleeve. I work in the medical profession here in the US and I was also a little leary about going to Mexico. I used to live in California and my brother still lives there and had a friend that went and had surgery in Nov 2011. After talking to her and about her experience I had little doubt about going to Mexico. I called and scheduled my surgery with Dr Fernando Garcia and had my surgery at Hospital MI. I went through Alighterme. The cost for me to have the lapband removed which included having a scope to make sure that all was ok and the sleeve was around $6000. I am sure that if you are looking to just have the sleeve and have nothing more done then you can come close to your limit of $5000. I had my surgery on Dec 11, 2011 and I am down 27 pounds already. I have had no problems since my surgery. I am going to travel to Chicago on Jan 14 as Dr Garcia will be in Chicago doing a seminar on weight loss surgery. I am paying my own way and travel expenses as I want to see him again and thank him for giving me a headstart on my new life. I will try and take some pictures when I am there and post when I return. If you have any other questions for me please let me know.

I'm real too!!!! I just had my surgery this week with Dr. Kelly and am back home today safe and sound and feeling great :)

Another 2 real people checking in...myself and my hubby both had VSG on 12/8/11 with Dr. Kelly. Was a wonderful experience. I have lost around 25 pounds, hubby has lost 42! Hospital MI Doctor, staff, driver were all great..facility was immaculate....no problems with either surgery...BCBSFL exclusion required we both pay cash..Had surgery on Thursday afternoon, to hotel Sat afternoon, walking tourist area in TJ on Sunday..hotel staff great, never felt intimidated anywhere we were...IM for any questions...best money we ever spent...I was off insulin, glucose meds and BP meds immediately after surgery, hubby off insulin and glucose meds within week of surgery so that alone will pay for our surgeries (copay savings!)...do your research and feel good about your decision...