Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have complications or major struggles after being sleeved or not?

I am wondering what is the norm. I hear some say "it was a cake walk" and others say "please help" I realize we are all different, just wondering?

I think of complications as issues due to the surgery itself (such as a leak, a stricture, an infection in an incision site, etc.). If that's what you're asking, then NO - I didn't have any complications at all. I recovered very easily from surgery with minimal pain and was back to work and my 'normal' routines quickly. My only major complaint early out was some difficulty with acid reflux, and a slight modification to my medications corrected that very quickly.

Struggles? Maybe not major, but it was certainly a challenge adapting to a new way of life post-op. Very early out I struggled with figuring out when to take all my pills, how to get in all my Protein when it was difficult to drink fast, and how to get all my fluids in. I don't think any of those things are considered major struggles though, just the normal post-op course of challenges. I know many people have had it much more difficult as they've had issues with nausea, problems with dehydration and rehospitalization, etc.

I consider myself very lucky to have had a fairly easy journey over the past 5 months.

I had the struggles that Indymom mentioned especially in the first couple of weeks, but I haven't had any complications since surgery. It has been about 5 months for me. I haven't had any nausea or vomiting.

LindaS, I always watch for your posts to see how you're progressing! We were sleeved just a day apart and have very close starting weights and WL goals. I think we're about on the same track too with our weight loss. :)

I did have complications and the first several months and now too have not been the easiest but my complications were nothing compared to some.

I started out with a lot of pain, not just my sleeve but pain from one of the incissions where they pulled my stomach out of. I spent the first two months struggling to get in fluids, let alone food. Drs played with the PPIs thinking it was just acid reflux. At 5 or 6 weeks (can't remember now but it's in my youtube videos) I was hospitalized once I could no longer keep even Water down. Spent almost 2 weeks in the hospital, scopes, leak tests, xrays, test after test and no eating. I had a stricture, a small hole in my sleeve (no leaking though so they just glued it shut), a kink in my sleeve so it's shaped more like an L than a banana, increased swelling. Finally it started to let up some and I was able to go home. Had a couple more scopes after that but was progressing nicely. It seemed MOST of the issues were caused by the increased swelling. My surgeons said that some people just swell worse than others and it tends to let up between the 6th-7th week which was true for me.

Now recently at 10 months out, I had a lot of stress going on. I thought that was causing all this restriction I am dealing with, enough so that I can eat 1 or 2 bites and I am stuffed. I burp all day long too which is beyond annoying, just constantly full. Finally after dropping 10 lbs in 2 weeks I saw the drs and had a scope done last week. We suspected a stricture. But nope, no stricture. I had a gastric polyp removed, I have chronic gastritis, and gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema, so byopsies were done. Basically areas of redness and swelling. Drs suspect H Pylori but I won't know til next week.

So as you can see I've had complications but it's still worth it to be half hte size I once was.

My surgery and recovery, physically speaking, were a breeze! I sometimes almost felt that I cheated when I saw how others were struggling. I did techinically have a complication in that one incision became slightly infected. This meant a little oozing at the incision site that resulted in a round of antibiotics and nothing more.

Recovery from the mental aspects of surgery was by the hardest part for me.

6 weeks out and I have been through some of the expected struggles we read about on this website day in and day out.

Mild reflux so meds had to be changed, nausea on the 4th and 5th week and it ended up being my CPAP machine, drinking, eating, taking meds is still a full time job etc. No complications as of right now. Hope this helps.

No serious complications... Just dealing with head hunger and feeling awful when I eat the wrong thing, like too much sugar or bread. There is definately a learning curve when working your sleeve. And it's soooooooooooooo worth it!!

No complications with the surgery. One major annoyance: I had a horrendous rash all over my body a week after surgery that we have no idea what caused. Oral steroids and a steroid shot and within 3 weeks it had cleared. Minor annoyances: reflux (I now take two omeprazoles per day), loud and embarrassing gurgling when I'm digesting and that's it. Every annoyance I had multiplied 10 times would still not make me regret the surgery. I am a whole new person . . . or a half new person!

I have posts this under the complications section so apologies if this is repeat for anyone reading. I will keep as brief as possible.

Sleeved November 1. Drain removed November 11, stomach pain started next day. By November 16 I was having emergency surgery for a large abscess in my abdomen which went down the exact path my drain was located, the surgeon could see it. I received treatment which included a product called "Acellular Xenograft" which speeds up the healing process, it is actual pig cells.

My stomach was left open to heal from the inside out. I am now 60 days post op from sleeve surgery and have never had one night without a large surgical dressing on my stomach. I shower with Saran Wrap around me but, am looking forward to next Friday because the insurance company denied covering my treatments and I appealed the underwriters, sent in photographs and guess what...they changed their decision which was based on the fact the material was considered experimental. It was this treatment or a vacuum strapped to me and trips to a wound clinic.

My hope is by my appeal being accepted by Anthem, it will help someone else in the future. All through all of this, I remain excited about my sleeve and my future health.

I wish you good health and no complications!

I had a revision from the band to the sleeve. The only complication I had was that one of my incisions came open. The cause of this was going back to work after two weeks and a pair of pants I wore kept rubbing against the incision. I just had to be careful and keep it covered. It healed fine. Other than that, the rest was just discomfort from having surgery that was mostly cured with pain meds. I do remember having some "head" hunger issues from not eating, but I physically was not hungry. There were days when I felt weak, but I got some Five Hour Energy and it really helped. I recall feeling better each day and when I could eat real food again, I started to feel like myself. The weight loss really keeps you motivated. I agree that any pain is worth it!!!

I did have complications and the first several months and now too have not been the easiest but my complications were nothing compared to some. I started out with a lot of pain, not just my sleeve but pain from one of the incissions where they pulled my stomach out of. I spent the first two months struggling to get in fluids, let alone food. Drs played with the PPIs thinking it was just acid reflux. At 5 or 6 weeks (can't remember now but it's in my youtube videos) I was hospitalized once I could no longer keep even Water down. Spent almost 2 weeks in the hospital, scopes, leak tests, xrays, test after test and no eating. I had a stricture, a small hole in my sleeve (no leaking though so they just glued it shut), a kink in my sleeve so it's shaped more like an L than a banana, increased swelling. Finally it started to let up some and I was able to go home. Had a couple more scopes after that but was progressing nicely. It seemed MOST of the issues were caused by the increased swelling. My surgeons said that some people just swell worse than others and it tends to let up between the 6th-7th week which was true for me. Now recently at 10 months out, I had a lot of stress going on. I thought that was causing all this restriction I am dealing with, enough so that I can eat 1 or 2 bites and I am stuffed. I burp all day long too which is beyond annoying, just constantly full. Finally after dropping 10 lbs in 2 weeks I saw the drs and had a scope done last week. We suspected a stricture. But nope, no stricture. I had a gastric polyp removed, I have chronic gastritis, and gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema, so byopsies were done. Basically areas of redness and swelling. Drs suspect H Pylori but I won't know til next week. So as you can see I've had complications but it's still worth it to be half hte size I once was.

Praying for you and thank you for your post. :)

I have posts this under the complications section so apologies if this is repeat for anyone reading. I will keep as brief as possible. Sleeved November 1. Drain removed November 11, stomach pain started next day. By November 16 I was having emergency surgery for a large abscess in my abdomen which went down the exact path my drain was located, the surgeon could see it. I received treatment which included a product called "Acellular Xenograft" which speeds up the healing process, it is actual pig cells. My stomach was left open to heal from the inside out. I am now 60 days post op from sleeve surgery and have never had one night without a large surgical dressing on my stomach. I shower with Saran Wrap around me but, am looking forward to next Friday because the insurance company denied covering my treatments and I appealed the underwriters, sent in photographs and guess what...they changed their decision which was based on the fact the material was considered experimental. It was this treatment or a vacuum strapped to me and trips to a wound clinic. My hope is by my appeal being accepted by Anthem, it will help someone else in the future. All through all of this, I remain excited about my sleeve and my future health. I wish you good health and no complications!

Thank you for posting and I pray you heal quickly and enjoy the rest of your journey til goal, all down hill from here:)