Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

Ah you jumped in FYE...lol Still sitting on the sidelines, not committing yet. BUT this link is awesome...thanks for sharing it.

Oh and I did commit to tracking my cals this week. So far before dinner I've logged 744 cals, 50g carbs and 64g Protein. Not sure on dinner yet, it will likely be lean and green. (meat and salad.)

Actually finished the day at 944 calories, 62g carbs, and 78g Protein. I also did an hour long spin class which my calorie count site awarded me -635 calories burned, just for the class alone, not counting calories burned for just existing. So I've said it before and I'll say it again, I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WEIGHT LOSS MATH. Sigh.

Good job on all you ladies who fasted today. Maybe at some point I will join ya!

yesterday was a fast day, I did about 550 cals, this morning woke up 2 pounds down. Today is a norm day - the morning after my last norm day I woke up 3 pounds up, so, I will approach the scale tomorrow morning with trepidation/resignation.

They do say the norm loss is 1 pound a week. We are not norm, but fingers crossed! I ended at 542 cals today. Ended up needing to eat with my meds.... (forgot about that!) So had some banana.< /p>

Just looking for another "tool".

Another tool or another eating disorder? This whole thing is not healthy and does not promote the healthy eating diet prescribed after this surgery. Maybe I am not the perfect person to say this but I know that LauraVen is and the fact that people like 'feedyoureye' has drawn someone like her into this stupidity tells me that those of us who have been sleeved are still vulnerable with regard to our weight and we need to have a lot of strength to just stay on target with ad ice from our surgeons rather than being fooled by charlatans.

I am not trying to put a dampened on this, but I don't get it. From what I read, the key to this fasting thing is that you can only eat 25% of the calories you usually eat. But it is based on the standard being 2000 cal/day. I am sure you ladies are not usually eating 2000cal/day.

I've been a keen calorie eater since early out, getting to +1000 as soon as I could (about two months post-op) and steadily increasing since then. I often eat between 1500-2200 cals per day now. I'm not in any way trying to be on a super-low-cal plan the rest of my life, not a fan of that.

Another tool or another eating disorder? This whole thing is not healthy and does not promote the healthy eating diet prescribed after this surgery. Maybe I am not the perfect person to say this but I know that LauraVen is and the fact that people like 'feedyoureye' has drawn someone like her into this stupidity tells me that those of us who have been sleeved are still vulnerable with regard to our weight and we need to have a lot of strength to just stay on target with ad ice from our surgeons rather than being fooled by charlatans.

Have you read about it or are you just going off the very surface notion of 500 cals, 2x per week. I've personally been reading up on intermittent fasting a lot over the past few years anyhow, and this is well-researched. The benefits of it go far beyond weight loss. It's not an eating disorder if you know what you're doing. Many would argue that WLS itself leads to disordered eating, but we know that's not the case (or at least not most of the time). The research is not done by charlatans, nor are we dumb and easily duped. Try doing some research before you wave accusations around. FYE is solid and knows her stuff cold.

ETA: MsS -- sorry about your friend. :(

I really disagree with the notion that 5:2 is an eating disorder gimmick. I'm eating much healthier by starting this and what's the big deal if we call it "fasting". You really aren't. I've truly fasted many times. Water only. If I am eating 500 healthy calories and the next day eating 1300 or so healthy calories, is that a gimmick? To each his own but those of us out 3 years or so and struggling to maintain are lookin for a healthy maintenance. Don't see anything wrong with it Just sayin.

More power to you, but personally, I would not ever recommend this to anyone, nor would my fiance, a nutritionist. Eating like that is not healthy nor is it good for your metabolism. Your body needs a certain amount of calories each and EVERY day just to function, and what they are prescribing is not healthy. Definitely looks like another fad diet to me. I am with AussieLady on this one.

I could find a load of studies to quote (though the book also covers it well, as does this series about fasting's benefits), but here's just one recent one... from Nutrition & Metabolism, a peer-reviewed journal "focused on the integration of nutrition, exercise physiology, clinical investigations, and molecular and cellular biochemistry of metabolism." Excerpted from Medscape...

Intermittent fasting (IF) is a novel weight loss regimen that has been steadily growing in popularity over the past decade.[2,3] preliminary findings indicate that IF may be effective for weight loss and coronary heart disease (CHD) risk reduction. For instance, two recent trials of IF demonstrate decreases in body weight of 7–9% and reductions in LDL cholesterol of 10% after 20–24 weeks of treatment.[2,3]

ETA: Nutritionists should know by now that "starvation mode" is a myth...

I think it always valid to visit our eating/exercise profiles to make sure we are not "going down that road" At 7 months(where you are) and at 2 1/2 years I have followed my Docs and Nuts eating plan. I still am, with a drop in calories two days a week(Protein, Water, exerciser)... I ate 500 cals a day every day under my Doc and Nuts supervision 7 days a week for part of this journey already. When weight gain has become so easy, and weight loss has stopped completely before reaching goal while following plan, I think modest cuts and expanded exercise (especially weight lifting and weight bearing) exercise is a valid option. I have asked myself a few times if my behavior has become obsessive.... why yes, it looks like it... weighing every day, logging my food and wearing a fitbit could be signs of this. HOWEVER... Not doing these things lead to weight gain and unconsciousness about the factors that contribute to it. I simply can not eat by impulse and maintain. I have worked hard on dumping the attachment of self worth to the numbers on the scale, have relegated it to a tool status. I say my current and past weight in public... this I used to have so much shame about... now its just a marker of body weight to be taken in the context of health statistics. I am 60 years old(in a few days) I am 188.5 pounds (not underweight by any means)I am after 2 1/2 years 19 pounds from the top of the 'normal' weight range for my hight. I think it is important for YOU to keep track of where you are in your own life and if you would like to, support others in their journeys to better health, mental and physical, but I think your fears are unfounded here. These women have been on this road quite a long time, and what you are seeing is them not giving up on the Quest to better health all round. That is my opinion.

Also, FYI to my "Wanna join me" friends, my scale went from 190.9 yesterday to 188.5 today. My scale most often shows the same number for weeks on end...to the 10th of a pound. So this drop, even Water, is out of the ordinary. and this is a number I have not seen since last year. We will see how it goes....

My word!!! I sleep and all the excitement starts!

First off feedyoureye, happy birthday! My birthday is on Friday (47) go Gemini's'!!!

Ok as for the 5:2 fast it's not a fast in a traditional sense. And I've read about it and thought I would join in. Yes I'm not as far out as most girls here but I like to try things out for the experience.

Aussie I'm also on the C25k thread with some of the veterans... If you want to yell at someone for making me do something silly PLEASE yell at them! I'm hating it and feel like I'm going to die every time I run :P

I found yesterday interesting in the sense that I was hungry a lot,,,, it surprised me and made me think about my daily eating habits and though I track my food my eating style tends to be grazing all day...

This week will be challenging I realized last night..

My husband has these things he wants to do involving food.. It's our anniversary this weekend also, so he wants to take off all up and down the coast and has mentioned everything from going to Pescadero for fresh artichoke garlic bread (you buy it warm from the oven and f**k its good)

Goat cheese and wine. Then the next day going to Monterey and spend the night.. Again food and drink!

I also have a party on Sunday for a friend that I might go to..

So my life is food food food everywhere. No worries about me wasting away :)

I will normally "abstain" from jumping into hot topics and I generally stay away from flames when I see them. However, can we all just agree that NONE of us are EXPERTS in any way shape or form? If there was ONE WAY in this world to diet and exercise wouldn't we all be skinny and beautiful?

I will normally "abstain" from jumping into hot topics and I generally stay away from flames when I see them. However' date=' can we all just agree that NONE of us are EXPERTS in any way shape or form? If there was ONE WAY in this world to diet and exercise wouldn't we all be skinny and beautiful? [/quote']

This is true! I think Aussie is just showing she cares about my welfare.. It's true I am nowhere close to as far out as the rest of you here.. But I am no stranger to weight loss and weight gain.

And I like everyone else here, am looking for a lifestyle I can live with., so I like to try things on for "size".

Might I mention that I have not lost a pound for almost two months.....

More power to you' date=' but personally, I would not ever recommend this to anyone, nor would my fiance, a nutritionist. Eating like that is not healthy nor is it good for your metabolism. Your body needs a certain amount of calories each and EVERY day just to function, and what they are prescribing is not healthy. Definitely looks like another fad diet to me. I am with AussieLady on this one.[/quote']

Susan you are so hard to track down!!

I have been wondering about your TDEE and calorie intake have been going?

I also participate on a thread about metabolism and TDEE (yes my fingers are in a lot of pies)

And I have mentioned and reposted a post that you made right after you started it. But would love an update!!