Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

Coops -- yes, it drives me mad on a daily basis. I HATE doing without my sleep. I feel...*grim* all the time, with bouts of downright temporary depression on top of it. It is awful.

I have been taking a single tablet of Excedrin PM (I got it in the US) the past two nights and that has helped. But I know I can't rely on it longer term. Maybe I will just use it here and there to try and get like six hours of sleep in a row at least once or twice a week.

As for the diet/exercise part... Well, I have been hungry the entire time, my appetite never went away. It's not head hunger (I don't know what that is, apart from the desire to eat a naughty snack when I'm stressed and tired, and then it's clear I'm not actually hungry, just snacky and agitated), it's just regular old hunger. That said, I have been following this blog: marksdailyapple.com on the advice of a good friend who is also a doctor, and I've subsequently eliminated wheat from my diet (it's been about a month now) and upped the amount of fat I eat. I have not cut out sugar or wine, maybe they're next on the list, but not yet. Baby steps!! But just with cutting out wheat, I've felt much better than I did before. And by adding in a lot more fat, I feel more satiated by food and my hair and skin have gotten a bit better as well. I've lost 2kg since I started this, so...let's see where it goes. (Oh, I also read a book called Wheat Belly [like a beer belly, but caused by wheat...very interesting as well], which makes a lot of pretty wild claims about wheat, but also makes a bit of sense too.) My stomach has gotten flatter from all this without me doing any particular abdominal work. I admit that I've been eating a whole lot of chocolate lately -- way more than I ever did pre-op, so that's quite odd. It's my single biggest vice these days, apart from too many glasses of wine a few times a month. And yet, I still suddenly dropped 2kg after not losing (and also gaining a bit here and there) for months.

Also: I've been having bowel problems (since before surgery, but have gotten worse since then), and I happened across this book called Fiber Menace (SOOOO counterintuitive that I had a hard time even believing it at all...!!) and have also been drastically reducing the amount of Fiber in my diet (particularly indigestible fibers). IT HAS HELPED ME SO MUCH. I honestly can't believe the difference.

So between those two things, it is offsetting the perimenopausal/sleep-issue things a bit. Thank god!! I should add that both the wheat elimination and the fiber reduction took some time to take effect, and both had a difficult phase where things got worse before they got better. But I'm becoming a believer on both of these. (Also, my grandmother is celiac, so a gluten sensitivity might be a factor as well, though I've not been tested for that.)

Oh -- and the paleo/primal thing (like the MDA blog above) also gives some really good insights about exercise and how much we actually need, and what kinds. It has changed how I obsess about the gym...! Good stuff, at least good food for thought and new things to try.

I'm having hot flashes, too--it's the PITS. .... My brain isn't functioning really well these days--sleep deprivation!

Seriously ladies... at least check out the book I mentioned above... it has done wonders for me....

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause: The Breakthrough Book on Natural Progesterone

http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Doctor-About-Menopause/dp/0446691429/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Seriously ladies... at least check out the book I mentioned above... it has done wonders for me....

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause: The Breakthrough Book on Natural Progesterone

http://www.amazon.co...=dp_ob_title_bk

I'm going to try the perimenopause one cos it's on kindle (so I don't have to have it shipped from the US), and also cos my gyn said I'm not menopausal yet, but clearly I'm on the verge as it were. I don't know if I can get bio-identical progesterone here...I would like to try it!!!

It's super strange--presurgery I was having all sorts of hot flashes and nasty "menopausal" symptoms, then I had surgery and all that WENT AWAY until just a couple of months ago. I think I read somewhere that fat loss causes estrogen that is stored in that fat to come into your blood, which is why some people get crazy mood swings after surgery--I think what it did for me was delay menopause for a year and a half!! But now we're in full-blown swing of things....

Coops, you are definitely NOT alone in this. I haven't slept straight through the night in a couple of months, either. I got a lot of sleep last night at a hotel where I was attending a convention--it was SUPER COLD in the room, though, as my roommate likes the room cold, and I froze most of the night. But I only woke up once in the middle of the night, when she got home from going out with friends, and slept for 6 hours straight (bliss!!) until 8 a.m. I couldn't believe it when I woke up. And I feel SO MUCH better today! It's getting colder here finally, so hopefully it will be cold in our apartment for a few nights and I can see if that makes a difference to my sleep quality.

Meanwhile, I have a sort of strange question--I keep dropping weight without really trying to do it, and it's not like it's just falling off or anything, but it's dropping... Do you think that menopause has anything to do with it? I always thought people GAINED weight at menopause, but my metabolism seems to have picked up (and I'm not doing anything exercise-wise). I'm a lot colder all the time, but that's the only thing that maybe is burning more calories....? I do not want to add any junk to my diet to slow things down, but I'd like to stop losing now. I'm 6'2" and wear size 10 and I feel fine at this size--I feel slender and long, and I'm starting to have issues with bony areas--my butt absolutely aches when I have to sit for longer than 30 minutes or so!!! Please believe me, I'm not whining, as I am sort of mind-blown that I even have this issue after a lifetime of obesity, but it's a serious question--what do you think I should add to sort of stop the weight loss (if anything)? I can't really tolerate fatty/fried/sweet things--I guess I could add cream to my coffee, but I'm just reluctant. I'd like to add food that will add nutrition and other stuff besides calories.... I could always eat Cheetos (and I do sometimes!!) but I don't want to go there--that's how I ended up at 300+ before. Suggestions? Thoughts? And y'all know me here--definitely NOT going "oh, poor me, I'm just toooo thin" etc. etc. Just trying to be healthy and do things the smart way!! This is a situation I never in a million years thought I'd have to think about.

avocado....nuts, granola, dried fruit, peanut butter.....Girl, I wish I could say that was my problem! I don't eat as clean as you though... I already eat all this stuff!

Good fats are super good for you -- I use cream in my coffee, eat a lot of nuts, olives, olive oil, butter, cream, etc. But I have to tell you, eating fat doesn't really stop me losing weight. The only thing that stops weight loss for me is processed wheat-based foods and/or lots of sugar or other carbs. I can eat like 2000 cals per day and not gain if I'm not eating carbs (even when I'm still eating chocolate and drinking wine as part of that). So...? I would say just eat whatever makes your body feel good and not worry too much about the weight unless it goes outside the normal range. It will eventually stop and/or bounce back a little bit IMO.

I totally forgot about peanut butter--I used to eat nuts a lot, but I only have them occasionally now. That will be a pleasure to reinstate!! And I already eat avocado practically daily--it's one of my favorite foods!! We definitely do not eat butter or oil, and I only eat olives occasionally, so I guess I could probably add some olive oil in; I love it, but it's just not a habit any more.

I'm traveling a lot in the next couple of weeks and will have less control over my food options. I'll post when I get back, but thanks for the tips!

Well I've had the week from hell and it isn't over yet. My daughter went to New York last Friday, got through the hurricane and is now stranded there. She is for accommodation and food, but she sooooo dearly wants to come home. And I am sat here, unable to do anything for her but tell her, though her tears, that it will be ok and she will be home soon.

The stress is unbearable. I haven't slept properly since Sunday.

I know this is a strange question, especially for us old time sleevers, but does the sleeve tighten with stress? Whatever food I eat, which admittedly isn't a lot, just feels stuck and uncomfortable. I've often wished that my sleeve wasn't so 'good' and would reject certain foods - in a desperate times when I wanted to be at goal so badly.

One thing this situation has taught me is that goal or not... it really doesn't matter - there really are more important things than losing an extra 14lbs!

Well I've had the week from hell and it isn't over yet. My daughter went to New York last Friday, got through the hurricane and is now stranded there. She is for accommodation and food, but she sooooo dearly wants to come home. And I am sat here, unable to do anything for her but tell her, though her tears, that it will be ok and she will be home soon.

I know this is a strange question, especially for us old time sleevers, but does the sleeve tighten with stress? Whatever food I eat, which admittedly isn't a lot, just feels stuck and uncomfortable. I've often wished that my sleeve wasn't so 'good' and would reject certain foods - in a desperate times when I wanted to be at goal so badly.

One thing this situation has taught me is that goal or not... it really doesn't matter - there really are more important things than losing an extra 14lbs!

Oh, poor baby -- poor mom!! How old is she? Where is she staying? Do they have any idea when she'll be able to come home? Do you know anyone there to give her a hand if she needs it? I do have some friends there, if you find yourself needing someone there to help with something. Hang in there, it will all be okay!!

Yes, my restriction gets tighter when I am stressed, and I just don't want to eat at all anyhow.

HUGS to you. <3

This is so horrible, I wish I was closer to NY so I could help her.:( It is so horrible to be so far away from your baby, especially when she really needs you! Hope she can leave soon. I am thankful that she made it through that hurricane. She is truly blessed. I will have you both in my prayer. :(

thanks for your kind words

she is a beautiful 14yr old! This trip has been planned for over 18mths and was supposed to be the trip of a life time and it has turned into a complete nightmare! I don't know anyone in NY! I just feel so helpless, useless and frustrated! I know they are making the best of a bad situation and that the teachers that she is with are looking after her and the others and of course that is comforting... I just need her home now so I can hold her! Fingers crossed we'll have news of a flight back to the UK soon!

Hey Coops.

This is truly a nightmare for you baby..... There is a really super woman that on here quite often and her user name is Proud Grammy, she live in New York. I talk to her quite often on PM. Is there anyway she can help. Look up ProudGrammy. Maybe she can leave from a different location? Just getting her there might be a dilemma. Just thoughts.

Spoke with my girl earlier and they are coming home... the flight has been sorted and they will be back in Wales tomorrow night... around midnight! OMG - I am soooo relieved and happy! I can't wait to see her!

Thanks again for letting me vent! x

What a relief, Coops! I'm glad you'll see your daughter soon--she will definitely have a story to tell in the future, although I'm sure it is vastly different from the intended one!! So glad she is safe and headed home.

My sleeve DEFINITELY hates food when I'm stressed or over-tired or emotionally upset. I have learned to eat Soup and a bit of cheese (NO meat, no crackers) when I MUST eat and I'm super tired or stressed--for instance, if I'm working as a guest clinician and I am working pretty hard for most of the day (and conducting and singing and teaching is a very physical gig, especially when working with honor choirs--you have to be "on" all the time), I get super tired and kind of worn down physically and mentally, and the best food for me is always Soup, something easy on the sleeve and something that I can't "feel" in there. Lettuce/tomato salad seems to work, too, but absolutely NO flour products. For me, it's almost like going back to when I was first sleeved, although I can tolerate more volume now--the type of food that a stressed sleeve can handle is pretty much the same as it always has been.

Coops, keep us posted!

Coops ~ This is the best news I have heard in ages.......Your baby will be so happy to be home and safe. You will be so releived that she is home also. I am so thankful that she is safe......... I love the advice that Meg has given you. I think that Soup is excellent in all respects. I too can eat way more than I want to be able to eat, but have to watch myself too. Please give the beautiful young lady of yours a giant hug and help her process everything she's been through. Validate her feelings and give her a lot of love. She really needs it right now...... Hang in there! Today is the day you will hold her in your arms...... :)