Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

Heh... well' date=' I'm flattered right back at 'ya, but you all STILL look skinnier than me! I have to admit, that's one of my biggest frustrations. I see some totally skinny chick in her "after" photo, and she's the same height as me, and weighs MORE than me. What the heck is that about?? Skinny jeans aren't EVER gonna fit this girl. Sigh...

I'm definitely working on my Zen - stress / emotional eating is my biggest issue. Surprisingly, I'm finding 5-HTP actually helps (who knew? I never bought into that naturopathic supplements stuff... but one in the morning and one at night actually seems to make me a bit calmer, at least at the moment), and I'm reading Savor - it's sort of a combination Buddhism / nutrionist / mindful eating approach. Anything to keep me from stuffing my face any time I'm alone in the house for 5 minutes. Still figuring out how much of that is physical reaction to too many carbs, and how much of it is mind games.

Unfortunately, when it comes to treats I can tolerate a whole lot, and at this point nothing stops me from eating past the point where it makes me feel like crap and still having trouble stopping. Yep, 100% confirmed binge eater here in the house. But I'd sure as heck rather be working on that issue without having to battle physical hunger on top of it. I knew sleeve surgery wouldn't be a magic wand for me, but it's worth every penny I paid for how far it's gotten me. If nothing else, the self confidence I have at this weight is a huge leg up in the battle against stress eating. I know I can conquer this, look what I've accomplished already! With all of you inspiring the heck out of me too, I've got goal in my sights!! Watch out Meg, I'm chasin' you! (And, by the way, when do we get to see a photo of gorgeous skinny you at GOAL?!? )[/quote']

I'm a huge emotional/stress eater. I work 2 jobs and I'm a single of a special needs daughter, so I need some of that 5-HTP stuff. What is it and where can I find it?

I'm a huge emotional/stress eater. I work 2 jobs and I'm a single of a special needs daughter' date=' so I need some of that 5-HTP stuff. What is it and where can I find it?[/quote']

Oops, I meant single mother. I got excited, lol.

I think you can probably find it at most health food stores, but I've bought online, and recently at costco. As always, your mileage may vary, so use with caution. I'm NOT a medical professional, and these things always have risks. I first read about it on Maria Emmerich's blog - I think her posts are wonderful.

I think you can probably find it at most health food stores' date=' but I've bought online, and recently at costco. As always, your mileage may vary, so use with caution. I'm NOT a medical professional, and these things always have risks. I first read about it on Maria Emmerich's blog - I think her posts are wonderful.[/quote']

I'll look it up, thanks.

You ladies are all so motivating! Look at you go! Congrats Meg, you really stuck with it and it shows!

WOOOOHOOOO!! I made it through week 1 of staying totally on track! (Ok, the fact that that's exciting is totally sad, isn't it? ) You know, it wasn't until I decided to really dedicate myself to super clean eating, no unnecessary carbs, that I began to realize just how many Snacks had wormed their way into my life. Those bags of low carb, sugar free "healthy" biscotti? Yeah, at 15 calories apiece they seemed like a great choice for a treat, but not if I eat 6 .... or 9 (eek! And they have 3 grams of carbs each!!) And that's just the tip of the iceberg - low carb crackers, Sugar Free chocolate almonds. Sheesh, no wonder I've been stuck at this weight for so long. No wonder I'm carb craving.

The good news is, I've been eating clean, feeling good, back to exercising. The bad news is, my plan to stay off the scale hasn't been going so well. It makes me panicky to think about it, but I might have to take my husband up on his offer to hide it.

Wow.... you go... gotta be honest with you, I still weigh daily. Got to and I think it is part of the reason why I eat well most of the time... I have a comfy bounce range now, but if I go near the top end, then I re think what I have/am eating and well, change it.

I am gonna 'fess... the Water thing hasn't been going well... on track food wise but I am really struggling with getting my water in. It is one habit that I let slip and I can't seem to get back in the grove!

I never meet my Water goals, either, and it's not until I get cramps in my feet at night that I really buckle down--dehydration is a b*%&$!! And I don't know about you, but I don't have a lot of time during the day to sit around and sip--teaching is a time-consuming profession, and as a choir director, I can't really be drinking in class. So my new resolution is to keep a bottle of water in the fridge at work with enough flavoring stuff in it so that I will WANT to drink it.... and I still definitely need to keep tabs on the caffeine thing--it definitely perks me up, but it also dehydrates me. I used to think of it as a trade-off I'd take, but I really don't like feeling super tired and jangly all at the same time--dehydrated whilst wired on caffeine isn't fun.

I didn't realize there was a connection between dehydration and foot cramps - I get those occasionally, and it's such a miserable thing! I'll have to pay more attention and see if I can see a pattern. I'd heard potassium, but it seems like my Multivitamins should take care of that....

(And, by the way, I have to say, choir teachers ROCK! Three of my absolute favorite teachers when I was growing up were choir teachers.)

well, it is now pretty much a year since this stall of mine has started... no wait! I've lost a pound!

I am really disappointed that it has lasted soooo long, regardless of what I do or do not eat; how I eat and when I eat!

I really can't reduce my calorie intake lower than 1000 as it really effects me and I get terrible brain fog. Goal isn't even worth that!

I was positive in Jan, that by now I would be at my surgeon's goal, and maybe even heading towards my personal goal...

So I really am thinking that this is me...

Don't know what to think about this... a part of me is sad that I haven't 'finished the job' and the other half of me is proud of how far I have come!

I am so proud of you! Look where you are. You might not be at the surgeon's goal, but you have rocked that sleeve. This is not over and it is frustrating to be stuck for a year. Wow, a year is a really long time. I don't believe your done yet. Your body is just resting right now. When you take your guard down, it will probably start going down again. And if it doesn't, you are still one hot MAMA! Yep! Lookin good, and so much more healthier. You are doing more things like going to Crete.....(sp?) Time to enjoy life and have some fun. This is what I want to adopt in my life style today. Fun, lotsa fun........ :)

thank you my skinny friend!!

i dunno... just feel blurgh! Perhaps you are right, I need to take some 'time out' again!

What isn't helping are my hormones... OMG! They are all over the place. I'm getting hot flashes again - and they are nasty! They went with the tablets but for some unknown reason, they are back with vengance! I hate them. They leave me a bag of sweat and exhausted. Some morning, whilst I am teaching, I get 3-4 and hour...just sweep over me in waves.

Another thing that I am a little worried about is my hair! Now, I know this is stupid but it is getting thinner and thinner. It isn't sleeve related, as my diet is really healthy now. It has to be hormones. The 'fringe' area at the front is so fine, the regrowth looks like baby hair. I am also thinning at the crown, if I didn't know better I would say I was a man! It is totally getting me down.

Has anyone else had this or heard of it? My hairdresser said I should get my thyroid checked out?

Any ideas? x

Coops if I was you I would be totally scared too. When it comes to our hair, all of us get upset about it. I think it's a good ideal to call your doctor (gynecologist) and find out what's going on and get your thyroid tested too. Somethings off. Having hot flashes is not fun either. My thoughts are with you.... I really want to know what's going on with your body too. Let us know how your doing and I'm keeping you in my thoughts........

I think having your thyroid function tested is a really good idea. Do keep us posted!

Coops, if your thyroid is out of whack, that could totally keep you from losing any weight AND cause thinning hair--plus make your cold or hot all the time (depends, really--mine did/does both) and give you a sense of general BLAH. Definitely get it checked out!! And make sure they run a detailed thyroid panel, not just one general test. Sometimes it's one specific part of the thyroid hormones that is out of whack, and you can't always tell that from just the single general test. Ask for a free T4 in addition to the TSH.

Before I was sleeved, my doc told me that there was no way I was going to lose any weight at all until my thyroid was under control--she said I could actually GAIN weight on as few as 250 calories a day (that's 250, not a typo) because my thyroid was so underactive that my metabolism was SUPER slow--she said it wouldn't matter if I consumed NO calories--I would probably not lose any weight at all until I got the thyroid into the normal range. So it's a big deal. I'm sorry--I thought you had had that checked a long time ago--that would have been my very first suggestion to you!!

Meanwhile, definitely keep us posted--I'm curious about it now and wonder if that's the reason you're still stalling out, despite what I consider a very limited caloric intake for someone as far out from surgery as you are.