Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

Absolutely Coops, just put pen to paper and write whatever comes into your head, at first it may just be a baby babble of words or phrases but it will eventual coalesce into thoughts and opinions and emotions. I'm going through some stuff right now too, have had a pretty bad 2 weeks of it, so I really need to do some writing this weekend.

I'm a huge advocate for talk therapy, this is a person whose profession and whose sole purpose is listening! Everyone could benefit from that.

Hey!

Thank you for all the help... I am defo gonna try the writing thing and I love the idea of the 'thought funeral'... I am a very visual person, so this idea is just perfect for me and how my (very strange but wonderful) mind works!

I will let you know how it goes.

FYE... isn't it strange how the 'smallest' thing just puts us off our 'normal' self! Hope you pick up soon.

I'm feeling a little better today... just a little lighter in myself; I had a good chat with my hubby and that really helped!

Gotta be honest, this is such a huge help for me... being able to pop on and just share stuff and know that you just understand without a great deal of artuclation... Really, I can't thank you enough xx

GT, I hope you feel better soon, I have not (yet knock on wood) had a single episode of vomiting since being sleeved 19 months ago (oddity I realize) but at this point since it never happened post-op the only thing that would make it happen is a stomach flu. So I feel for ya!

Coops, I love the idea of writing things down, please let us know how it goes.

FYE, I totally can feel you on finding balance. WHERE is the balance between obsessively tracking all food/calories and having a little nibble here or there on something. Aaack...not sure where the middle ground is, but I have NOT been tracking my food since late march and I've absolutely loved every single second of NOT TRACKING MY food. I've been maintaining fine, the only problem is that I'M NOT DONE YET. arrgh. So yeah at some point I'm going to have to climb back up on the tracking wagon and see where I'm at.

Hey guys, I didn't realize I hadn't checked in for soooo long! So much going on at work and at home. Everything keeps changing around me (work restructuring), and I've been training for this half marathon for a while, and ended up with a minor injury to work out before the half.... so things were a bit hectic. I am sorry to hear that you are struggling, Coops! I send you the biggest hug across the pond. I wish I could just wave a magic wand and make it better because no one deserves it more than you! I hope that doing some writing helps you feel better. One REALLY important part about that kind of journalling is to find a really private place to do it and to keep the notebook. You have to feel absolutely safe or you won't be able to let go and let things out. I used to keep my journal where my boyfriend could read it, and I found that once I moved it to a secret hidden location ( :-)) I was a lot more free with my words! FYE, I know what you mean about that fine balance. It's amazing how delicate it is.... for me, I find that stress really throws me off, and I've had it in spades these last couple of months. However, the good news is that I've still lost a few pounds in the last month. Not a lot, but something! Also, I finished my half marathon. I ran it pretty slowly, but I did it!!! I almost cried when I looked at the photos and realized that I could not have ever done this a year and a half ago. It made me feel so proud to know that my hard work was paying off in allowing me to fulfill one of my dreams. I know I have a ways to go, but this was a big motivator. I highly recommend taking on a physical challenge for those of you who are feeling down about not reaching your goal weight yet. This was such a boost! When you take on a physical challenge (that you know you could never ever have done at 300 lbs), it really makes you realize how far you have come!

Oh, also, Coops: I want to PUNCH that nurse! There is nothing more infuriating than someone in the medical field who doesn't get how complex weight and metabolism are. Really, someday, when we understand it better, we are going to look back on this arcane "calories in, calories out" B.S. with the same kind of disdain that we do the concept that the world is flat. I mean.... really.... sheesh!

Lila,

Thanks for your kind words ... as much as I want to, I can't give up - not yet!

Congrats on the half marathon *goes green with envy*! How cool is that! Boy, what an achievement... I am so proud and chuffed and so proud of you!

I think when the physio clears me for exercise I will go back to the gym and running machine... I think I am gonna have to build myself up to the boxing gym - make sure my back and groin are strong enough!

So, just as I thought things were looking up and I started tof eel a little mmore positive... I rec'd some more bad news! An old school friend died suddenly on Sunday morning; he had a diabetic fit, knocked his head and died in hopsital! I was talking to him Thursday, we had a right giggle - the man always had a way to cheer me up! He has left a lovely wife and two teenage daughters. He had just celebrated his 41st birthday.

Clearly, this is all a bit overwhelming and shocking and I feel it is another emotional obstacle to overcome. Just as I start to get my head around losing Jack, my student, and accept his death this happens. This time though, I have to face my own mortality.

I am sure that I will get through this but it is just going to take time!

Just quick update from me ...

I am feeling much better, I have taken your words of wisdom and used them! I'[ve taken a little time, worked on my head space and I feel that I am back in the game. I've really been focusing on getting positive again and to do that Ijust had a few days where I let myself cry. Boy that felt good... like a huge release and that in turn helped me see clearly again.

I've changed my diet, it more like a new sleeve diet now and my bloating and swelling have gone, and I am now down to the lower end of my bounce range.

Just wanted to say thank you all for being my support network! I really feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel now... hugs from across the pond x

Coops: So glad your back! I'm now in a funk, but need to get back into my positive zone. We will have periods like that and we just need to work through them. Hugs across the pond! ;)

Coops, I'm glad you are feeling better! As GT says, it's a journey!

I, too, am really trying to focus right now, and I'm really watching my diet more closely. It's surprising how many calories you can still get in via slider foods if you aren't counting your calories. I am trying to plan my meals on the weekends so I don't get too sidetracked during the week. Otherwise, I end up "grabbing" things that aren't nearly healthy enough. Last night I made a lovely piece of salmon and sauteed a little spinach with a tsp of olive oil and a few tsps. of goat cheese--a perfect sleeve meal!

Anyhoo.... has anyone heard of stikK.com? I am going to try it, I think. You stake some money on whether you meet a goal or not, and if you don't make that goal, you lose the money (goes to a charity). It's an interesting premise, founded on research that people do much better if they have some "skin in the game." I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out!

I am now 25 lbs away from my original goal, i'd really like to close that gap by the end of the summer! It seems like a lot to lose over a short time, but I think I can do it if I really focus. Mostly, what I've found over the last 6 months is that work stress seems to take precedence over everything else, and once I get stressed I tend to lose focus on my weight-loss goals. That seems a little off-kilter, so I'm going to try to find a better balance!

So I've gone through some difficulties recently; my position at my job was eliminated, I thought I was deploying so didn't renew my lease on my house so am now going to be out of a place to live, reproductive issues and a chipped tooth. That's a lot of stress and anxiety and worry and I'm starting to eat over it. The weekend after I found out about my job my house and my uterus I bought a loaf of bread and ate toast with butter for 3 days straight until I finished the loaf. I also had a bad case of flu 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten back into the swing of things at the gym. And someone I thought was a good friend hasn't bothered to show any care or interest and I think she is going to drop my friendship now that she can't brag about my job anymore. It's a lot, I feel fat flabby bloated and weak.

So I've gone through some difficulties recently; my position at my job was eliminated, I thought I was deploying so didn't renew my lease on my house so am now going to be out of a place to live, reproductive issues and a chipped tooth. That's a lot of stress and anxiety and worry and I'm starting to eat over it. The weekend after I found out about my job my house and my uterus I bought a loaf of bread and ate toast with butter for 3 days straight until I finished the loaf. I also had a bad case of flu 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten back into the swing of things at the gym. And someone I thought was a good friend hasn't bothered to show any care or interest and I think she is going to drop my friendship now that she can't brag about my job anymore. It's a lot, I feel fat flabby bloated and weak.

{{{{Globetrotter}}}}

I'm so sorry about the job, that is SO tough to take. I am very wrapped up in my work too, and would be equally sad. You've got a lot on at the moment, be gentle on yourself. Be super extra nice to yourself!! <3

ETA: Lately my comfort food has been multi-grain cakes and butter, so I'm right there with you...

Globetrotter,

I'm so sorry for everything you are going through. I hate it when things pile up! Make sure you are drinking enough Water and just try to force yourself to do some kind of exercise. For me, exercising really helps when life is weighing me down. I hate doing it, but I feel so much better afterwards.

And sorry about your ratty friend! I like you no matter what!

Lynda

GT: Sending you big hugs!!! I am sorry everything is piling up like that! I hate it when things get overwhelming. Try not to make yourself feel guilty about eating some bread --really, it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things! As to your friend, try not to assume what she is thinking. Every time I assume that I know what someone is thinking, I turn out to be wrong. Reach out to her and tell her you miss her. She might surprise you! Sending you good thoughts!!! Remember that you are awesome, and this too, shall pass!

GT... what a shi**y series of events... and all at one time! ALL huge stress triggers too. Not good, I felt overwhelmed not so long ago... lots of little things turned into one big nightmare.

I know there is nothing I can actually do, but I am sending you lots of positive thoughts and hugs from across the pond. Times like these, don't stress about stuff like bread - I love toast with butter too, a real treat! But like Lila said, think of it in the bigger scheme of things. And as for your friend... hmmm, words fail me!