Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Howdy y'all. Lets see....I'm a 51 year old father of 3, married 27 years to my sweetheart that I met immediately after getting out of the Navy back in 1987 and been in love with ever since. I've always been a big guy, well stocky & short, which played hell with my BMI and weight in the service. Went in 1983 at 17 years old weighing 210, which was the absolute highest weight they would take. struggled through boot camp but made it. by the time it was over, i could push out 250 pushups and 100 situps in one session. but still came out of boot camp at 198. by the end of my enlistment, I was running 5 & 10 k races, biking 25k and leading the "fatboy" company of remedial PT. and still was hovering at 200lbs when i was finally discharged. fast forward 4 years and I'm a volunteer firefighter for a year and half, working out, doing the job and then threw out my back playing golf of all things :( After that, it was all sedentary office jobs and stress eating. Lost my 1st born at 8 months old after he was born at 24 weeks and that really through me for a loop, eating, not being active in anything at all, now 24 years later I've been hovering at 305 with a high of 320. I thought about WLS 15 years ago, but our insurance wouldn't cover it, so it was back burnered, but always been in the back of my mind. after all the years of of dealing with the continuous side effects of of morbid obesity, asthma, high bp, hi cholesterol, diabetes, depression, anxiety, etc, etc.....i bit the bullet and I'm taking the plunge and having the VGS done in Tijuana on June 24th. I've cut out sodas completely after being a "2 44oz Coke a day" drinker for 20 years. and working on my preop diet now. A couple of reasons why now, first and foremost I want to be around for my kids and hopefully grandkids, second, purely selfish reason, I want to ride roller coasters again. I've taken that walk of shame a few times and have quit even trying a long time ago. third, I want to skydive once. to be able to say I've done it. fourth, I'm tired of seeing myself in pictures, in the mirror and reaffirming my disdain for myself. people think I'm a happy go lucky guy, and i guess i feed that impression, but inside is another story. Check out my picture below for a laugh :) Yeah, I cosplay, Barf from Spaceballs, Fat bastard from Austin Powers, The penguin from Batman. they're about the only things that make me forget myself. Anyway, I'll be scoping out the site for hints and tips and hopefully can make some friends along the way. Thanks for reading. you're a brave soul.

11999668_10153159942547776_3322851740822565983_o.jpg

12970896_10153568277157776_2401675714649591903_o.jpg

IMG_0313.JPG

I am more than just a surgery and weight loss. I am a mother of 2 beautiful girls whom I want to set a good example for as they grow into 2 beautiful women. I am a wife to a husband that depends on me during his own struggles with PTSD, TBI, and physical ailments from being in the Army (Infantry). I am an Equestrian and look forward to getting back on a horse in the next 2 to 5 years and training to do endurance riding and maybe even attempting Tevis (ride 100 miles in 24 hours) in 10 years. I am a Veterinary Technician who sacrifices my home life to work 10 hours a day to care for other people's pets. I have been heavy for as long as I can remember. My heaviest being right after giving birth to my oldest at 254 pounds. I have been active all through my child hood and into my early 20's but was never thin. My oldest wants to get into soccer and running while my youngest wants to get into volleyball. I don't want to just sit on the sidelines and cheer them on. I want to help them practice, teach them, and maybe even coach them. I want to run next to them in marathons. I want to ride horses with them and teach them everything I know. I want to be there when they have children of their own. I can and I will change my life. I go for my first appointment on July 25th. Fingers crossed that everything goes well for this opportunity because my body high-jacked the last attempt with esophageal issues.

Hi my name is Sylvia. I'm 41 mother of 2. My son is 15 and my daughter is 21. My daughter got my best years before I let my weight get me down. We were always going camping, boating, swimming, amusement parks. But 10 years ago I hurt my back and haven't been active since. I remember about 6 years ago taking my son to an amusement park waiting in line for an hour to ride a roller-coaster only to not fit in the seat. Thank goodness I had a friend with me and my son got to ride. I was humiliated. Haven't been back. I feel I've robbed him of a lot of experiences because I physically couldn't do it. Now he is starting to get big himself. When I hit the 300 mark back last August I new it was time to make some changes. I wanna be a better mother, wife, and reclaim my life. I was sleeved 6/22/17 and don't regret it one bit. I'm already down 34 lbs my feet and legs are no longer swollen and painful. My energy is up and my spirit has been lifted. I look forward to the future. It's about time I've done something for my self as well. I want to be active and have fun with my son before he grows up on me. My daughter is getting married in October and I'm excited and not dreading people seeing me feeling self-conscious. Also my husband of 22 years deserves to have his wife back. Really looking forward to our time. Ready to travel and just enjoy life. I'm so excited everytime I look in the mirror now. Can't wait to see how I will change in the months to come.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi my name is Sylvia. I'm 41 mother of 2. My son is 15 and my daughter is 21. My daughter got my best years before I let my weight get me down. We were always going camping, boating, swimming, amusement parks. But 10 years ago I hurt my back and haven't been active since. I remember about 6 years ago taking my son to an amusement park waiting in line for an hour to ride a roller-coaster only to not fit in the seat. Thank goodness I had a friend with me and my son got to ride. I was humiliated. Haven't been back. I feel I've robbed him of a lot of experiences because I physically couldn't do it. Now he is starting to get big himself. When I hit the 300 mark back last August I new it was time to make some changes. I wanna be a better mother, wife, and reclaim my life. I was sleeved 6/22/17 and don't regret it one bit. I'm already down 34 lbs my feet and legs are no longer swollen and painful. My energy is up and my spirit has been lifted. I look forward to the future. It's about time I've done something for my self as well. I want to be active and have fun with my son before he grows up on me. My daughter is getting married in October and I'm excited and not dreading people seeing me feeling self-conscious. Also my husband of 22 years deserves to have his wife back. Really looking forward to our time. Ready to travel and just enjoy life. I'm so excited everytime I look in the mirror now. Can't wait to see how I will change in the months to come.

Wow! You are doing GREAT! I was sleeved on June 14, and I have only lost 15lbs. (13 more pre-op) how are you losing so quickly? What am I doing wrong?? Congrats and keep it up!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Typical day. I get up drink a Protein Shake with 30 grams Protein. Usually takes me an hour. Wait 30 minutes then start drinking Water till lunch. Wait 30 minutes them do about 1/3 cup oikos triple zero Greek yogurt. I like strawberry and the salted caramel. It has 15 grams protein. Wait 30 minutes. Start drinking water. Drink all day. Then for supper I'll either finish the yogurt or if I'm not nauseous I'll puree 1/2 can chicken rice Soup the small can. I take my time and savor it. About 30 minutes. Wait 30 minutes then back on the water. I use apple juice to get my crushed pills and supplements down just enough for about 2 drinks. And if I get hungry late I'll have a sugar free popcicle. I'm probably not getting enough calories but I'm getting my water in. And if I do the soup and I'm hungry still later I'll finish the yogurt for the extra protein. I had a bad hunger day one day so I made a protein smoothie I put one scoop unflavored whey Protein Powder, 2 packets splenda, about 1/4 banana and 2 strawberries with a little crushed ice blended it. Then I just sipped on it to keep hunger down. Plus I'm walking 1 mile everyday. It may not be tge right way but it's working for me.

Wow! You are doing GREAT! I was sleeved on June 14, and I have only lost 15lbs. (13 more pre-op) how are you losing so quickly? What am I doing wrong?? Congrats and keep it up!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Sorry new on her but I posted my eating schedule on the timeline. Hope it helps.

I'm Michelle. 55 year old mom of 4. Wife of my DH who had RNY 11 years ago - he has lost about 90 lbs and kept it off. I am of stocky French- Canadian descent & my dad was abusive. I can still feel the knot in my throat as he made dinner time a nightmare until we cleaned our plates. I've struggled with weight my whole life, but as I look back I wasn't that heavy until adulthood. I am a low ish bmi vsg patient. My top weight was 225. I went into surgery on June 22 at 217. I have lost 23 pounds since my first surgical consult- current weight 200.6.
I have only told a few people that I had this surgery. Only one of my kids knows and aside from my husband, no family members.
I am tired of being so young and my body feeling so old! I want to live the rest of my life in a body that I love.

Hi, I am Jen. I am like only a few seconds into this forum. So forgive this newbie as she learns to roll here. I am 51 years old. I saw the surgeon I am going to use yesterday for the first time. He only does the sleeve but I wanted the bypass because I am over 400 pounds that was two months ago. However, I have lost 16 pounds since then. I had to I was and still am suffocating. Two weeks ago I was hospitalized for heart problems and it hit me as I told the nurse that I was good to meet my maker that my family is NOT good with that. I have lovely grand children and kids and a hubby and extended family as well. No, I am not ready. I want to live. So my local surgeon will only do the sleeve. I am legally blind and I cannot drive and hubby has a medical condition that keeps him from driving so I have to have the surgery close to home as my extended family all work. I am concerned that I will not be able to lose enough weight with sleeve but it is what it is. I will be having the surgery in about six weeks and I am hoping you guys and tell me what all I will need before the surgery. I am nervous about being able to pay for all the products I need I am so poor right now. So any help you can give me on how to economize but still get all I need I will be grateful.

On 7/12/2017 at 8:55 AM, fatboy45 said:

November 28th 2016 was sleeved and have over 200 lbs..emoji109.png

Sent from my LG-H820 using BariatricPal mobile app

I also have over 200 pounds to lose. Are you confident you will do that with the sleeve. My surgeon says I can do it. I am just scared i guess.

I also have over 200 pounds to lose. Are you confident you will do that with the sleeve. My surgeon says I can do it. I am just scared i guess.

Hi purplebutterflyjen...I was scared at the beginning but since my surgery I've accomplished a lot.. I've lost a total of 181lbs so far...I believe u can do it too..keep the faith

Sent from my LG-H820 using BariatricPal mobile app

hi all :) just a quick hello as im new here, and dont have much time now to write my story as they suggested in welcome email, but i wanted to make my mark here :) i like this forum, read a few comments, supportive people and nice community, glad to be part of it now :)

2 corrections, i must have clicked accidentally on florida, but i live in illinois (edited the info in profile but not sure when it will be updated), and im not sure why they are showing my BMI at 48, i didint write it, and when i had my very first consultation (about 6 mo prior to surgery) the BMI i got was at 51.9, and my weight taken that day was also lower then at the time of start of my pre-surgical liquid diet. my son needs me now, i will try to find time later to write more :)

I have been married for 2 years together for 6. I have 3 children from 2 previous relationships. I began struggling with weight as a teen until I began to run track. Long story short, messy divorce so my mother stopped caring so I began to hang around with people that I thought cared. Started smoking cigarettes at 15. Around this time my mother kicked me out, homeless and in 10th grade, and still a straight A student. One night while I was crying at the local coffee shop, with change I had begged strangers for, a classmate offered me to stay with her. That was my first night doing drugs. My life changed, no more track, but was finally thin. However, there were days I starved because it was either pay rent or buy food, at 16. Fast forward, abused drugs and alcohol for almost 20 years. Then years later, in my early 30's I went to jail. My mother had embellished a story that I had stolen over $30,000 of property from her home. I did go to her home, but I did not steal that amount of property. She had my children and also refused to allow me to see them. Fast forward. 6 years later I am clean, almost done with my MBA and am CEO of a non profit that helps people get sober. Mother still refuses contact. I gained a lot of weight as a result of, mental health meds, ability to finally buy food, and having a car. Surgery was a viable option. Had been almost 300 pounds for 6 years. Developed diabetes and pcos.

Sent from my SM-J320V using BariatricPal mobile app